why does reason 4 sound so much better than live 7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leedsquietman

Re: why does reason 4 sound so much better than live 7?

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:52 pm

:lol:

surely 3Phase steps in here with the Henke Brown Dither theory !
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

VagentillGud

Post by VagentillGud » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:46 pm

I just started fiddeling with Live, i have only worked with Reason Record. As for now i find it hard to do a song in Live, but thats perhaps because i have so much to learn. So i did a quick song in Reason, and saved out every track on its own, and imported it to Live, and i felt just the opposite, all just sounded better right away. So i googled sound engine + ableton + reason. And i found this thread. Strange how different taste people can have. I hate Reasons sound. It gets a whole lot better running it through Records mixer wich is super, but the synths and effects... they are so poor on its own.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:22 pm

VagentillGud wrote:So i googled sound engine + ableton + reason. And i found this thread.
And then raised it from the dead...
Nothing to see here - move along!

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:59 am

Ive never used reason, but It think people think reason sounds better because the sounds are pretty much allready made for you as with live you have to create them more yourself.

I dont have suite but I do find that alot of the presets in live sound like rubbish, I have to work hard to get the sounds I like

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:05 am

I dont have suite but I do find that alot of the presets in live sound like rubbish, I have to work hard to get the sounds I like
I have Suite and I agree that many of the presets just... aren't very good, for lack of a better way of saying it.

It may just be that I wouldn't use them in the kind of music I make, but to my ears, many of the presets are not compelling sonic choices.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:35 am

agent314 wrote:
I have Suite and I agree that many of the presets just... aren't very good, for lack of a better way of saying it.

It may just be that I wouldn't use them in the kind of music I make, but to my ears, many of the presets are not compelling sonic choices.

that actually good ..the factory sound in the old tradition..shows some possebilitys but leaves it to the user to make them working and therfore individualized..what is a rewarding motivation and against uncreativ preset abuse..also protecting the biz of pro musicans and sound designers by leaving uninspired amateurs with the crap demo sounds that are enough to play around but not state of the art in actual productions..

finaly a thing ableton has done wright.. just the amount of them is way to big and mudding up the lib folders..

i just fear that this all is unintentional...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 am

agent314 wrote:

absolutely! i bought the suite a few years ago and expected a sound library like reason or logic. very disappointing. never used sounds of that library seriously. third party instruments are good and of course lots of plugins. and it´s easy to make good electronic sounds yourself with simpler, operator, instr- and drum-racks. but the suite library.... draw a veil of silence over it.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:57 am

Saxer wrote:
agent314 wrote:

absolutely! i bought the suite a few years ago and expected a sound library like reason or logic. very disappointing. never used sounds of that library seriously. third party instruments are good and of course lots of plugins. and it´s easy to make good electronic sounds yourself with simpler, operator, instr- and drum-racks. but the suite library.... draw a veil of silence over it.

The actual content is ok, but the presets could have been a lot better.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

cids

Post by cids » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Reason just doesn't sound better than Live! :-)
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:57 pm

mac or pc??????? fat or thin?????? motorbike or car??????????????????????
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:10 pm

cids wrote:Reason just doesn't sound better than Live! :-)
they're all pointless arguments.

a good producer can get better sound out of either than the average DAW user. people just like to blame the tools or jack their ego by saying that what they use is better. people do this with any obsession, DAWs, cars, bikes, audio gear, whatever. easy way to spot a noob, ignore and move on.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:24 pm

You're all wrong. DUBturbo is the best sounding DAW on the market. If you don't know, you better ask somebody!!!! :lol:

http://www.dubturbo.com/
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

jesus god sandal

Post by jesus god sandal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:37 pm

kb420 wrote:You're all wrong. DUBturbo is the best sounding DAW on the market. If you don't know, you better ask somebody!!!! :lol:

lol ^^
Colors for the Ears
musician name: en3
http://soundcloud.com/ianpluplu - random releases and WIPs
http://entheogensno.bandcamp.com - full length high quality downloads and listening

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:08 pm

jesus god sandal wrote:
kb420 wrote:You're all wrong. DUBturbo is the best sounding DAW on the market. If you don't know, you better ask somebody!!!! :lol:

lol ^^
don't click on that link, there's a nag box trying to block you from navigating away from it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

synthman1

Post by synthman1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:14 am

Well I have been using live for a few years and i know how to use it. Reason yeah, i find it kind of retarded when it comes to how you actually use the thing..the sequencer window, the mixer....effects etc. But the sound out of reason is just far better than Live. I totally disagree that live is harder to learn. I think the opposite..when you look at the programmers of the built in synths in reason. The problem with Live is simply in the mix downs.....yeah it all sounds great until you render it out and that great sound is lost......and yeah I have e q'd, compressed, limited..done all the great stuff..but Lives audio engine just cannot cope with large amounts of tracks...it wasn't designed for that and Ableton haven't sorted it out yet.