why does reason 4 sound so much better than live 7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xzusa8ky

Re: why does reason 4 sound so much better than live 7?

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:07 am

You say it! :D

Reason 4 just sounds so much better!

I am a live user since version 1 and i just did a change to work with Reason only! 8)

Now i work much faster and i feel much better and my sound just sounds great!

No crashes! No update war like with Live! Not have to update plugins all the time! Its just so frustrating with live, you use more time on updating and reading than producing!

I like the concept of live using it for live situations with tracks allready finished in Reason 4. It feels so good just to fire up Reason and its just there for you like a real studio rack and its ROCK SOLID! 8O

Sorry guys for turning my back on you but for me Reason is just the better piece of software..... :P
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

master swing

Post by master swing » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:19 am

stringtapper wrote:If Reason 4 crashed in the woods would anyone hear how phat it sounds??
:lol: genius!

koalaboy

Post by koalaboy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:34 am

xzusa8ky wrote:Sorry guys for turning my back on you but for me Reason is just the better piece of software..... :P
Ace !! ... umm... how do I load my UAD-2 plugins, or does Reason sound better than them ?

:twisted:

ianomurchu

Post by ianomurchu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:35 am

Filmusic wrote:we are constantly being urged to expand our toolkit...I have been using PT, Live and Reason...now Record (soon) and for abit now,... a great little find Tracktion 3 (although this one may be dying..unsupported..in ther hallows of what could have been..it's still freaking great - the theme to what I'm saying is ...just learn and play as m8uch as you can...on everything

I choose different hammers for different reasons...and yes..my reasons will be different than yours...I tend to start a tune in Reason or Tracktion or Live...but always seem to finish the tune in PT...don't know why...it's just what I do...you don't have to..

my point ...use and learn everything that will allow your thought process to create with as little thought as possible...simply use these programs as if you are a native speaker in their language..and then express - I think that's why I play - to express...I don't care what hammer gets me there ...as long as I arrive swinging

thoughts?
Just that you must be loaded!! :P

master swing

Post by master swing » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:38 am

one thing about live that I feel is that the instruments and plugs are made to sound precise, and other companies develop tools that sound more musical. Its subjective though.

Also, other companies make plugs that have a lot of features within one plug. with live, you can always build racks, which is really cool, endless possibilities, but on the other hand if you just load up a plug that contains delay and distortion within itself, personally I´m more likely to use distortion and delay, rather than just delay, if you know what I mean. So a while ago I used only the live native stuff, but now I tend to use more external effects (just discovered ohmicide, what a great plug in combination with operator).

yush

Post by yush » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Exact same thing is noted here as well.
Reason 4 sounds SO MUCH better than Ableton Live 7.
I have been using live for a while now.

Live's workflows and track conception is easier than reason and so is the integration with plugins/vsts + using the keyboard as a musical keyboard---esp when you are sitting in a plane..... --- these reasons make ableton great
BUT
when YOU create a track and render it --- reason sounds so much ---- I MEAN SO DAMN MUCH better than live---- if only reason was as flexible as live Id be in heaven....

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 pm

Strange, it's almost the opposite for me. I did 2 albums on Reason... the final render quality was less good than while playing back directly from the software. I even got to remove clicks from place to place. People say that you get better result by pluging each tracks via rewire in another DAW.

Also I feel I can fight frequency masking more easily on Live. EQ 8 is great. At first my music was cold on Live but after few hundreds sets, it's now more phat than ever. You need some good vst that you like of course.

I dont use Live native instrument a lot though... except sampler and simpler, its mostly external VSTi.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:43 pm

absolute rubbish. (that reason's quality is better)

I am a (former) reason and current live user and the results are solely based on your knowledge of using the product and your mixing skills.

If you can't get Live to sound good, it's because you don't know how to use it and are not taking things such as warping into consideration etc with your mixdowns. If anything Live is better to mix down, Reason's mixer is too short and restricted and apart from scream and (to a degree RV7000), the FX are totally meh. It's sequencer view also sucks even more than Lives, even with the addition of lanes in Reason 4.

Reason is so restricted and closed off that it's a simple program to get to grips with. Live is more open, offers more depth and features and requires more skill to learn and operate.

Simples.
Last edited by leedsquietman on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:19 am

I switched from Reason to Ableton(and a few good VST,s)
Good results in both programs.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:53 am

Maybe it's because Reason doesn't have that Henke Dither problem? :wink:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:11 am

Funny, I always thought Reason sounded really canned, but I stopped using it at 2.5.
Nothing to do with the "sound quality, more to do with the gear in Reason having a specific sound.

Lol at people who claim different DAWs sound better or worse! :lol:

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:31 am

threads like this are the sort that generally signal the death of a forum. turn your back!!! oh wait, I didn't....

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:05 am

Lol at reason vs live sound.

reason = no vst - session view = tchao

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:11 pm

I stopped using reason 4 years ago. Never looked back and never will.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:42 pm

It's all down to Live's inferior sound engine. Everyone knows that.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com