Do you leave your computer on?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you leave your computer on?

Yes
39%
No
40%
Sometimes
21%

Total votes: 108

Rogue Scrunt

Re: Do you leave your computer on?

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:51 pm

"don't believe the hype"
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:54 pm

Aequitas123 wrote:meh...

the solution shouldn't be to use less electricity, it should be to create or harness electricity using environmentally sustainable means.
+1 for utilising renewable sources of energy.

-1 for pissing it up the wall needlessly until we do.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:57 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:This is interesting. How long did you have them when they died and what type did you have? Were the drives being used for typical applications, or was gaming involved?
5 drives purchased between 2003 and 2005, all WD.
1 - 60 GB Internal IDE - dead after about 1 years - OS and audio production
2 - 60 GB Internal IDE - dead after about 2 years - audio production
3 - 80 GB Internal IDE laptop drive - dead after about 1 year - OS and audio production
4 - 80 GB enclosure IDE - dead after about 3 years - general storage and mp3 streaming
5 - 80 GB Internal IDE - dead after about 5 years, but infrequent use for past 3 years - audio/video production

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm inclined to believe that inevitable reduction of supply will do the most effective job of curbing consumption. Peak oil.

That being said, I'm also about to drop $1000 on a high-efficiency water heater, my yard is mowed with a gasless mower, and my computer setup and refrigerator are the only electrical components on in my house right now.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:29 pm

ethios4 wrote: 5 drives purchased between 2003 and 2005, all WD.
1 - 60 GB Internal IDE - dead after about 1 years - OS and audio production
2 - 60 GB Internal IDE - dead after about 2 years - audio production
3 - 80 GB Internal IDE laptop drive - dead after about 1 year - OS and audio production
4 - 80 GB enclosure IDE - dead after about 3 years - general storage and mp3 streaming
5 - 80 GB Internal IDE - dead after about 5 years, but infrequent use for past 3 years - audio/video production

HD Killer!

You must be running a Mac.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:44 pm

djsynchro wrote:If you think it's good for your operating system to let it run run run you obviously don't know much about computers.
Computers run on electricity, which is generated mainly from burning fossil fuels, which are destroying our planet.
When you're not using your computer you need to switch it OFF, not standby, OFF.
Indeed,but when you're out DJ'ing you are using shit loads of leccy with all the lights and stuff! :roll:

Get a grip! :mrgreen:

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:51 pm

I take it back.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:22 pm

ethios4 wrote: my computer setup and refrigerator are the only electrical components on in my house right now.
How many cats do you have?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Rinsemeister wrote: Indeed,but when you're out DJ'ing you are using shit loads of leccy with all the lights and stuff! :roll:

Get a grip! :mrgreen:
Haven't DJ-ed for years, my house & studio are 100% green power wind/biomass. Energy company plants forest to compensate for the emitted CO2. And here's the kicker - it's even cheaper than the main energy supplier.
I bicycle, or I walk, or very rarely public transport.

I got a grip, and a handle. Really good thread by the way, I was reading up on "vampire power" and realised the plug needs to go out of the socket when the Internet PC is off, it's not off with the switch at the front, it's on standby. :idea: :idea: :idea:

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:25 pm

H20nly wrote:
ethios4 wrote: my computer setup and refrigerator are the only electrical components on in my house right now.
How many cats do you have?
Two, but they're gas powered.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Aequitas123 wrote:meh...

the solution shouldn't be to use less electricity, it should be to create or harness electricity using environmentally sustainable means.
Right and wrong, and the wrong part, well that ain't completely your fault my power crazed friend of Tesla. :wink: It's the fault of those asshole corporate giants we are all presently bowing to, and taking it up the keester as a result of. They're power crazed too, but unlike your form of the desire for continual electrical power, there's is attached to their unjustifiably ravenous craving for more money and a tighter social stranglehold to insure their ongoing success. It's called power entrenched greed/greed entrenched power. You're buying what we're selling because there is no other alternative. We'll make certain of it. :x

The truth is that the world has several working forms of "near" zero point energy. It's the big world level corporation, most contained in the USA and Canada, that thwart the efforts of inventors to have their unique means placed into mass working production.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6535911834

I highly recommend this documentary. It might piss you off once you realize just how little control the best in human spirit and mind can wield against the greed diseased tyrants via their genius, but it's real nonetheless.

The things is, even within the whole Green thing we find the same type of embitterment and stupid ass power struggles. I forget the exact details but someone was telling me a little about batteries. One of the biggest areas of concern with respect to rechargeable batteries is the present industry standard of the same rechargeable battery not being recyclable. There is a new type that has been developed that is primarily recyclable. Can you imagine the struggle to over come the manufacturing adversity as related to competition and pocket lining? It's all a big greed joke that isn't funny in the least.
Last edited by DrXparaMental on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:18 pm

porfiry wrote:
djsynchro wrote:If you think it's good for your operating system to let it run run run you obviously don't know much about computers.
Computers run on electricity, which is generated mainly from burning fossil fuels, which are destroying our planet.
When you're not using your computer you need to switch it OFF, not standby, OFF.
You really only hurt the cause when you get up people's ass like this.
+1 djsync

porfiry.....your comment is complete crap.......sorry if i "get up your ass" by saying this but it's something i feel strongly about.
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm

think about it from the other end. computer makers design their computers with energy savings in mind. NO MODE of computer operation will use less electricity than turning the thing off.

as for wearing parts down, the parts will last longer than you'll want the computer around.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:24 pm

as for wearing parts down, the parts will last longer than you'll want the computer around.
*** Image GAFM ***

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:26 pm

Tone, I love your new sig.