decided to buy windows xp

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
stockylocky

decided to buy windows xp

Post by stockylocky » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:38 am

So.... Ive had enough of vista and ableton playing with my mind, I think im gonna take the plunge n buy windows XP.... any reason I shouldnt???

I have found it here http://www.cheapwindowsxppro.co.uk/?gcl ... nAodpnh3CA , do you think this is legit because it seems a little cheap for £34.99 ?

Cheers Al

adventurepants_

Re: decided to buy windows xp

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:08 am

stockylocky wrote:So.... Ive had enough of vista and ableton playing with my mind, I think im gonna take the plunge n buy windows XP.... any reason I shouldnt???

I have found it here http://www.cheapwindowsxppro.co.uk/?gcl ... nAodpnh3CA , do you think this is legit because it seems a little cheap for £34.99 ?

Cheers Al
Download and install the free RC of Windows 7 from Microsoft. It runs until June next year. If your machine came with Vista it should run better. Its certainly worth a try before paying for XP. I completely skipped Vista as it didnt perform, and now Ive got Win 7 on all my boxes, with pretty much zero problems so far.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

stockylocky

Post by stockylocky » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:13 am

Wow like the idea of that, would also mean that if i download the 64 bit version I can finally use my full 4gb of ram lol
Anyway if I do it, what drivers would I use for everything, vista or xp ???

sven303

Post by sven303 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:17 am

Definately you should try Windows 7....

Had the RC version installed for a few weeks now and its solid as a rock

As for the drivers, if you run into issues that it doesnt recognise the device use the vista driver first

stockylocky

Post by stockylocky » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:11 am

hey sorry, just to check my understanding... when installing my nocturn or maudio soundcard you think I should use the vista drivers?
Thanks

BoimB son of BoB

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am

yes, best to use the vista drivers. the compatibility mode in win7 works really well.

right mouse click, properties,compatibility, choose vista.

one problem with m-audio driver for the delta series is that your comp doesn't shut down anymore. but this will be remedied in a next driver update, and there exist simple workarounds that you can do, just google it.