Mac Tip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Kooky Scientist

Mac Tip

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:18 am

Just back from Detroit where I played my last gig @ Motor.

I thought I'd share with you all what happened and offer you Mac users this tip.

I started my set @ 11:30pm and things were going great. At the strike of midnight though Sherlock launched and started indexing my damn hard disk.

So I hit the cancel button and much to my disappointment Ableton Live Froze but kept playing the clips that were going @ the time. All I could do was fade the volume on the kick drum and ask T1000 if he could mix in a record.

So here is the tip. Change the schedule in Sherlock for indexing your hard discs from 12 midnight to 12 noon. That is if you usually play in the evenings. This was the first time I went on before midnight and now I will be prepared next time I go on stage.

telepathic regards,
the kooky scientist

yon

Re: Mac Tip

Post by yon » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:16 pm

The Kooky Scientist wrote:Just back from Detroit where I played my last gig @ Motor.
the kooky scientist
Good tip!

Motor is crazy. I was there for a Paris
show. It was so loud I could hear the
shape of my skull. I could feel my ears
melting around my earplugs. The doorman
wanted to hold my passport in order to let
me out, or else I could not get back in.
Those guys are nuts. The bass tones have
been vibrating their brains for too long!!

jdg

Post by jdg » Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:00 pm

yeah i turn that off. i hate it. i thinks its called "find by content" or something...
www.google.com

best website ever

jory

Post by jory » Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:47 pm

Really the best way to have that not occur is to create a second set of extensions that you run when doing audio work that has everything that is not system essential, or essential to your audio programs, turned off. That will greatly improve your performance as there are all sorts of background processes going on that just slow your mac down for audio perfomance.

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:46 pm

Agreed, I have already done that. However, having Sherlock active is essential when working on tracks and searching for that special sample that you can't seem to remember what folder it is in.

It just isn't essential for performance.

the kooky scientist

joshcarter

Post by joshcarter » Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:33 pm

The Kooky Scientist wrote:Agreed, I have already done that. However, having Sherlock active is essential when working on tracks and searching for that special sample that you can't seem to remember what folder it is in.
Just remove the "find by content" and "FBC indexing scheduler" extensions. Then you can still use Sherlock to find files, but Find by Content will be disabled. It'll complain when you launch Sherlock, but you have the option of disabling the warning. I always run with FBC disabled myself, whether I'm doing audio stuff or not.

-Josh

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:51 pm

you can always just turn the scheduler off in Sherlock too.

the kooky scientist