WHAT RMS FOR YOUR TRACKS?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steko

Re: WHAT RMS FOR YOUR TRACKS?

Post by steko » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:58 am

Are you fuckin' crazy man?

I find this thread interesting & funny, just made a joke & you freakout & insult...???
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:13 am

steko wrote:Are you fuckin' crazy man?

I find this thread interesting & funny, just made a joke & you freakout & insult...???
you're right. my apologies.

calling someone out as a grammar Nazi or semantics cop is a way to dismiss their point's substance without regard for the content. that's how I took it. I am frustrated.

people are signing up to argue this with me that really don't know a thing about the topic at hand.

yes, I am crazy like that, people will agree with that.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:37 am

i don't wanna take part in a flame war, but if we are being precise, the root mean square (the mathematical procedure or the result) is in fact a noun...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:40 am

fishmonkey wrote:i don't wanna take part in a flame war, but if we are being precise, the root mean square (the mathematical procedure or the result) is in fact a noun...
omfg.

it can be a noun when used on its own. when used in "an RMS measurement" it's an adjective.

on top of that you didn't read the thread.

welcome to the flame war dumbass.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

steko

Post by steko » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:57 am

Tone Deft wrote:
steko wrote:Are you fuckin' crazy man?

you're right. my apologies.

calling someone out as a grammar Nazi or semantics cop is a way to dismiss their point's substance without regard for the content. that's how I took it. I am frustrated.

people are signing up to argue this with me that really don't know a thing about the topic at hand.

yes, I am crazy like that, people will agree with that.
OK

Completely misinterpreted:

Semanticsman like a comic-superhero watching this thread & not refering to you / not calling anybody a grammar Nazi or semantics cop.

Understand?
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:01 am

Tone Deft wrote:yeah, go for it john. :roll:

"what is the RMS?" - approach that shit for brains. it makes no sense.
wow Tone, you you really need to learn to calm down and sling your insults in more worthy directions. I did not call you a name, simply said that it is a noun because it is. You felt it necessary to call me names which isn't cool.
Last edited by Johnisfaster on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:02 am

Let's talk about Crest Factor, far more important.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:25 am

steko - totally understood, weird scene to stumble across.

john - bullshit, you're just jumping on the bandwagon to argue. you didn't make a point, it's just arguing for the sake of arguing. I like to study this stuff, it means something to me, your point means nothing.

dunno guys, just watch how RMS is used, and how people talk about it. I wrote early in the thread that the OP still got the point across regardless. just watch how it's used.

Crest Factor - not here. :lol: kinda sucks.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:38 am

Tone Deft wrote: john - bullshit, you're just jumping on the bandwagon to argue. you didn't make a point, it's just arguing for the sake of arguing.
I was reading the thread and you said several times that it wasn't a noun, so I figured I'd look it up. When I pointed out that it is actually a noun I did it politely, without name calling, without anger, without being a bully. Are you capable of giving me that same courtesy? We can have a discussion like adults if you like.

for instances, if I'm wrong about something you can say "actually John, you're wrong." instead of something that ends with "shit for brains". See there difference?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:52 am

people talk like that? 8O
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:55 am

only the ones that people enjoy talking to.

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:57 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: john - bullshit, you're just jumping on the bandwagon to argue. you didn't make a point, it's just arguing for the sake of arguing.
if I'm wrong about something you can say "actually John, you're wrong."
Actually, John, you're wrong. Shit for brains is a perfectly acceptable nom de interweb :wink:

Kent_in_CO

Post by Kent_in_CO » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:59 am

[quote="tw1nstates
Hmm, a lot of it's subjective and unfortunately the internet is full of people who tell you what to do hen they don't *really* know what they are on about.

Mastering is tricky, but a really good start is the Harbal tutorial I posted earlier. it's basic in the way that Bob katz book isn't. I.e. it's not for total amatures but you dont need to worry about K Sytem metering or any of that stuff (although when I move to my new studio I am gonna set it all up in accordance with that).

Also, do yourself the biggest favour you can for your music and buy yourself a copy of Mixing with your mind. It's expensive but I have learnt more from that book than any other. The sections on compression and reverb are worth the money alone imo. . .

It's a rabbit hole but with good guidance it doesnt have to be so, get good books, be sceptical about what you read on forums cos some of it is definitely wrong and compare to other stuff as much as possible and I reckon that;'s a good start.

oh and get that book, it's amazing :)[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for the info! And you make a pretty compelling case for that book - I've heard good things about it before. I can think of worse ways to spend 90 bucks.
Hong Kong: 2050 A.D. You're about to inject a dose of mind-altering nanobots. This is the soundtrack to your trip. https://seven7hwave.bandcamp.com/album/cyberia

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:00 am

Shit for brains wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
if I'm wrong about something you can say "actually John, you're wrong."
Actually, John, you're wrong. Shit for brains is a perfectly acceptable nom de interweb :wink:
fixed.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:50 am

Tone Deft wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:i don't wanna take part in a flame war, but if we are being precise, the root mean square (the mathematical procedure or the result) is in fact a noun...
omfg.

it can be a noun when used on its own. when used in "an RMS measurement" it's an adjective.

on top of that you didn't read the thread.

welcome to the flame war dumbass.
actually i did read the thread, and i hear where you are coming from...

however, if you wanna play semantics (which is fair enough), then it's not unreasonable to expect to have your own semantics questioned...

according to your logic "length" must be an adjective in the statement "a length measurement" (it's not, it's always a noun)...

just because a word indicates a kind or class of something doesn't automatically make it an adjective...
Last edited by fishmonkey on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.