DJ Warp Marker Trouble

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
disco45

DJ Warp Marker Trouble

Post by disco45 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:00 pm

Hi,

I am just starting to explore the possibilities DJing with Live. The problem I am having is marking tunes. I have followed the instructions: tap tempo, set length etc., and this works fine for about 8 bars but then I move the loop on and it's completely lost time (and this is with straight house tunes). I am also not happy with some of the markings where the audio file seems to get almost compressed and skip a beat which obviously sounds like shit!

At first I thought it was because I was marking old sloppy-tempo disco records, but I tried with a straight house tune and it was worse if anything. :?

Can anybody shed some light on this? :? Or am I missing something? :wink:

I was getting really excited about Djing with this, but now it looks like a total pain in the arse! :cry:

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:05 pm

you need to warp the whole track & put the bars on the beat.double click on the numbers in the audio editor window & you will understand.

Post by 808 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:54 pm

I'll add something as well............it is a very time consuming process.

rEalm

Post by rEalm » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:03 pm

Yeah, I've been spending way too many hours of my life warping all my vinyl, fun! (NOT). Some records are obviously easier than other, and if it's any help, the more you do it, the faster you'll get (it's still REALLY time consuming though). Once you get your first 8 bars set exactly the way you want (make it as accurate as possible), click on the WARP button to turn it off and then turn it back on again. This will recalculate the tempo based on your loop and in MOST cases will make things easier.

Now you can press the up arrow to advance the loop and set your next markers. As you get more an more marker laid, it can help to reset the warp again, or not, it doesn't always do anything.

Also, if you find that that your warp markers are getting farther and farther away from the downbeat as you go through the song, jump to the end and pin a marker there too. Now as you adjust your markers through out the song, things should get closer and closer to the downbeat.

I really wish Ableton had some type of beat detection ala Recyle for this though, or some way of making this faster.

I know, I know, learn to work with what you've got right? (snicker).

drush

Post by drush » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:44 pm

still struggling with this myself but a good piece of advice i received (thanks arp!) was to delete the last warp marker live creates. leaving it open at the end (until you make your way down there and create your own marker) seems to make the process better.

disco45

Post by disco45 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:29 pm

Thanks guys for in the info - this should help :D