which do you prefer- MPC...APC 40...Maschine...Monome...???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

which do you prefer- MPC...APC 40...Maschine...Monome...???

Monome/ manual
8%
Monome/ step
3%
Maschine/manual
31%
Maschine/ step
3%
APC-40/ manual
19%
APC-40/ step
No votes
MPC/ manual
14%
MPC/ step
3%
other
19%

Total votes: 36

jamester

Re: which do you prefer- MPC...APC 40...Maschine...Monome...???

Post by jamester » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:17 am

I'm leaning heavily towards Maschine. While the APC40 is cool, it is much more of a "performance" oriented piece IMO, and I need more compositional/workflow tools. I'd be more into the MPC option if it supported 24 bit samples; the question on my mind is whether Akai is going to come out with a "DAW integrating MPC" to compete with Maschine and software like Guru, BPM and such. I have a feeling they will, but maybe not this year since they've already got their hands full with the APC40 and the new keyboard controller. Not sure how many new products they'd release in one year...
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:22 am

jamester wrote:I'm leaning heavily towards Maschine. While the APC40 is cool, it is much more of a "performance" oriented piece IMO, and I need more compositional/workflow tools. I'd be more into the MPC option if it supported 24 bit samples; the question on my mind is whether Akai is going to come out with a "DAW integrating MPC" to compete with Maschine and software like Guru, BPM and such. I have a feeling they will, but maybe not this year since they've already got their hands full with the APC40 and the new keyboard controller. Not sure how many new products they'd release in one year...
i think the 4000 does 24bit, but i see what you mean.

don't forget to vote

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 am

Tone Deft wrote:
EgAD wrote:of course I understand that but it's more important that people will not buy all of them
why not? I have a monome and APC and would like a maschine in the next year. they compliment each other.

and will compare them for their uses anyway.
why compare them? they're totally different.

it's this real world overview of opinions that's important
and most replies will be "they're totally different."

for instance mpcs where never even made for rapmusic and look how much that matters.
rap... at least you didn't call it hip hop. I totally don't get your point.

anyway... might as well ask which people prefer more, corn, trackballs or Diane Sawyer.
u have a monome??!!!!!! u SOB!!!!

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:38 am

EgAD wrote:
jamester wrote:I'm leaning heavily towards Maschine. While the APC40 is cool, it is much more of a "performance" oriented piece IMO, and I need more compositional/workflow tools. I'd be more into the MPC option if it supported 24 bit samples; the question on my mind is whether Akai is going to come out with a "DAW integrating MPC" to compete with Maschine and software like Guru, BPM and such. I have a feeling they will, but maybe not this year since they've already got their hands full with the APC40 and the new keyboard controller. Not sure how many new products they'd release in one year...
i think the 4000 does 24bit, but i see what you mean.

don't forget to vote
I voted - Mashine/manual :)

Yeah the 4000 was 24-bit I think, but none that are currently in production. Given this, I was very disapointed that the new 5000 is 16-bit only. Everything I do on the daw, all samples and recording is 24 bit.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:39 am

why do you need 24 bit?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

aizo

Post by aizo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:57 am

I'm surprised, no lemur?

I want them all.
ImageImage

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:27 am

where is everybody i know we're all excited about these controllers

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:28 am

share your votes and opinion with us

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:09 am

lhaving all of these would just mean you have more shit to organize both on your computer and your workspace.

also what about trigger finger? oh i guess that is SOOO 2007

this is the main reason people find electronic music as a "fad" or "fake" theres always a new upgrade to be had, a new piece of hardware. i, however, completely disagree but the point is valid.

ive heard better music out of someone just using a boss sp 303 with only 8 pads and 2 mins sample time then people who just like to throw money at their music and expect results.

get with something good AND STICK WITH IT

ps. moore's law is not your friend

IP

Post by IP » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:23 am

BCR2k/mackie-mode ftw lololol!!! :mrgreen:

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:37 pm

Tone Deft wrote:why do you need 24 bit?
Well like I said, everything I do daw-wise is 24 bit. All my sample collections and everything I record is 24 bit.

If I got an MPC, I would have to start altering my workflow, like converting 24 bit samples to 16 bit, and either making sure to do any recording/sampling I might want to use in the MPC at 16 bit (which means changing settings) or else converting them after-the-fact as well. Way too much added baggage, when all Akai needs to do is join the rest of the 2009 music tech world in supporting 24 bit. It's especially deflating that they had this in their former flagship product, and took it away. wtf?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:10 pm

based on the fact you have a book in your sig we can skip the whole 16v24 bit quality differences, right? it's negligible? can we please skip that part? ;)

for all the benefits of an mpc I think a work flow deviation would be worth the time, it's not that much effort. 10-20 seconds at most. launch app, select file, hit convert.

regardless, anymore I'd take a close look at maschine before the mpc.

it's not like I'm going to argue you into your own comfort zone, just discussing the topic.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Tone Deft wrote:based on the fact you have a book in your sig we can skip the whole 16v24 bit quality differences, right? it's negligible? can we please skip that part? ;)
What book is that?

But yes, my reasoning is more workflow/procedural than audio quality based (especially for drums). But there are other reasons for daw-ing in 24 bit than just sound quality, like headroom as I'm sure you know.
for all the benefits of an mpc I think a work flow deviation would be worth the time...

regardless, anymore I'd take a close look at maschine before the mpc.
This is what it all boils down to for me, as far as Maschine vs MPC. It's a tough choice, they both have plenty of strong points. The reason I'm leaning towards Maschine is because of the daw-integration and familiar workflow. But then, the MPC is self-contained and not tied to the computer, and I like that a lot. If Akai would bring back 24-bit compatability and enhanced daw-integration in would be a no-brainer. But until then I'm leaning towards NI...
...just discussing the topic.
good discussion is why I'm here :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:39 pm

I just never know when a suggest I make is going to be interpreted as an attack, strange forum.

funny, I only glanced at your signature, it's a purrrfect PC, not a purrrrfect book. lazy me.

the mpc also has that tiny screen.

both let you mangle sounds and sequence, each do it differently.

I've tried to avoid all maschine contact but I'm already looking at my mpc with a for sale tag on it. AFTER the sting of the APC purchase wears off, AFTER I get max4Live, it's an expensive year to be an addict.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz