Arrange view locators control and looping between locators?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wisemonkey

Arrange view locators control and looping between locators?

Post by wisemonkey » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:05 am

Hi all,

Hope you can help me solve this one:

In the arrange view, I have a track lined up with a series of locators marking starts of each section.

I would like to be able to loop each song section, and the neatest way I can think to do this would be to map next and previous locators to midi, and then loop between the selected locator and the next one.

Sounds simple, but I seem to be stuck, and I hope someone can enlighten me here on two points:

Question 1:

At the moment I can map "skip to next locator" to a midi button and that seems to work fine.

However, if I map "skip to previous locator" (and the track is playing), it only moves back to the locator it started playing from (not the one before
that). So, effectively, it needs to skip back two locators to move to the previous section. How do I do this (other than hitting the key twice)?

Question 2:

Also, when I move to a particular locator, the track needs to be looping between that locator and the next one. On the mac if I option-click the locator, it gives me a menu that lets me select "loop to next locator" but I can't find a way to map that function to a key or midi.

As a result, the highlighted loop section doesn't start at the next locator selected, but just stays still, and can only be moved by dragging with the mouse (or using the dropdown menu).

I can't seem to work out a way to remotely move the loop start and end points to the new locators each time. How do I do this?

Hope that all makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam.
WiseMonkey
ooo oo ooo

wisemonkey

Re: Arrange view locators control and looping between locators?

Post by wisemonkey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:54 am

No takers? Surely this would be a useful feature if it hasn't already been implemented?
WiseMonkey
ooo oo ooo

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:25 am

Prolly no tKers cuz ur looping in arrangement view. WTF bro? :)

Haha it's all good except for I don't have an answer. I'll have to read it again because it was a bit confusing for my current state of mind.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:31 am

monkey that's what session view is for, dead simple there.

otherwise, hit ctrl-m and midi map controls to the markers and the loop on/off button.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ctgarvey

Post by ctgarvey » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:16 pm

Good Question. I want to do this to help smooth transitions between session where all the improvisation is, back to arrangement where the structure is, and i dont want to find myself in the middle of the next song arrangement wise
when i swap back to arrangement from session. Mapping midi to specific locators or controller to go back and forth between locators is easy, as is remote loop on/off control . But how to automatically move the loop to the locator that has focus..that is the question... At the moment I can only come out of arrangement to session at specific points where ive already set up the loop so that i can drop back into the same place on the timeline.

Did you ever get a solution?
win 7 64 bit Gigabyte x58a-ud3r/i7/24GbRAM/SSDsystem/Barracuda Raid 0 drives.
Ableton Live V8.2.5
Native instruments Komplete7
EastWestQL/Tonehammer
Izotope Ozone4/2c Aether/Waves
RME Fireface FW800.
MOTU USB MIDI express128
myspace.com/halautomatonmusic