i just got picked up as a producer, help with studio!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
newdropera

i just got picked up as a producer, help with studio!!!

Post by newdropera » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:08 am

hello guys and gals! this is my very first post and i'm glad to be here.

on to business.

i am about to be part of a music production team for a media consulting company. this is still so crazy to me, as i've been given an opportunity to step up and do what i love on such a big level. i will be given a nice little budget for equipment and everything...which leads me to wonder...

what will i need to make music on a professional level?

i would like a kickin' laptop (hellooooo macbook!) but i'm not sure as to what sort of things is should have. i think we will have a studio in our office, but for my individual needs i'm putting together a list of possible equipment.

i have yet to been given a projected budget but maybe some of you guys could help me put things together so i can bring the management an estimated equipment list.

in addition to the laptop, i was thinking of:

- the new ableton live 8 (any other good programs out there?)
- protools
- studio monitors
- ridiculously superb headphones for on the go mixing
- a portable, but still EQ savvy mixing board (it doesn't have to be too portable, just enough for me to get the job done)
- a firewire in/out dealie (haha sorry i've yet to have experience with one but i know they are usually crucial in a professional setup)
- some sort of versatile keyboard/synth ( i have an m-audio keystudio right now and i think it's pretty nice for everything i do now...i don't know if i would need to step it up)

i'm really stoked to be doing what i love on such a level like this. if any of you could help me with suggestions on equipment, or even just what you personally use and have come to rely on. even places to get equipment cheap, as i'm trying to put a very professional equipment/budget list to present.

oh, and i'm planning on doing everything from hip hop to glitch to ambient and trance and everything in between. i want to have all capabilities to unleash my full creative potential.

currently i'm using an acer laptop that's a few years old but still runs nicely, ableton live 6, fruity loops studio 7 (say what you want, sometimes it gets the job done), and akai mpd 24, and the aforementioned m-audio key studio. oh...and a korg nanopad...which i love.

haha. thanks for any input you guys may have. i really appreciate the help...i know i may sound like a newbie but i want to make the most of this great opportunity. thanks!

UKRuss

Re: i just got picked up as a producer, help with studio!!!

Post by UKRuss » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:27 am

Laptop?? Damn, if there's a budget to spend get a Mac Pro and a MBP for those 'need to travel' moments.

As for making music on a professional level, that's down to how you use your tools, not what tools you have. 8)

aleme

Post by aleme » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:38 am

May I ask you for the company´s name? Of course a proper tool might get you better results but the best tools are useless if you don´t know proper techniques. What exactly is your budget?

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:44 am

UKRuss wrote:Laptop?? Damn, if there's a budget to spend get a Mac Pro and a MBP for those 'need to travel' moments.

As for making music on a professional level, that's down to how you use your tools, not what tools you have. 8)
+1 on this...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:54 am

Nick Shepherd wrote:
UKRuss wrote:Laptop?? Damn, if there's a budget to spend get a Mac Pro and a MBP for those 'need to travel' moments.

+1 on this...
another plus one.
*** Image GAFM ***

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:27 am

SubFunk wrote:
Nick Shepherd wrote:

+1 on this...
another plus one.
..and another :)

jtsaint

Post by jtsaint » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:46 am

UKRuss wrote:
Laptop?? Damn, if there's a budget to spend get a Mac Pro and a MBP for those 'need to travel' moments.

As for making music on a professional level, that's down to how you use your tools, not what tools you have.

and another +
MBP 10.8.2, MBox2Pro, Live8Suite, PT8, SL1210MK2, MPD32, Launchpad, Oxygen8v2, etc....

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:31 am

make sure you factor in sound treatment to your budget if youre putting the studio in the office. . of try to get it somewhere else in the building where you wont bother anyone, but can still be around.. i learned this the hard way.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:35 pm

Congratulations!

Lots of good suggestions. Here's a few more to consider:

MacBook Pro over Macbook if you're using a firewire or exprescard based audio/midi interface, or firewire external hard drives.

Are you going to be doing any recording of "real" instruments or voice? If so, start researching decent microphones, preamps, & compressors. Don't scrimp on these if you want pro results.

Really think through if you need multiple DAW software, it might be wiser to specialize in one. That said, there are a number of people who use Live & an additional DAW like Logic for tune-tuning, mastering, & finishing their work. I don't know if things have changed, but Pro Tools used to have proprietary hardware (can get expensive to maintain proprietary software & hardware that can only be used with each other, along with additional software & hardware -you sort of end up with 2 of everything).

RME makes really good audio interfaces: rock solid & excellent sounding.

Dyn Audio speakers tend to generate less ear fatigue than some comparable monitors.

As for a mixing board, do you need multiple faders for traditional mixing, or do you need a summing board/box, or maybe a channel strip? If you need a traditional mixer, & want it to have good EQ then I suggest Allen & Heath.

Check out MIDI controllers: there is a good range of options (Pro Tools may be proprietary in this area too).

Depending on the amount of gear you might want a patchbay -makes life easier & more flexible: aids in creativity.

Maybe some sample libraries?

Subscribe to Tape Op magazine (it's great & it's free!):
http://www.tapeop.com/

Get (& stay) organized: get hip to spreadsheets, word processors, calender programs, filing systems, dating everything, copious documentation, etc. :wink:

Play to win!

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Damn, how did you get picked up as a producer and yet you don't know what equipment to buy? Man I must be doing something wrong...

congratulations on the sweet job though! As mentioned, don't forget at least some level of acoustic treatment. Are you recording bands?

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:05 pm

What do you need pro-tools for?

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:08 pm

macmurphy wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
Nick Shepherd wrote:Laptop?? Damn, if there's a budget to spend get a Mac Pro and a MBP for those 'need to travel' moments.

+1 on this...
another plus one.
Bah! Don't listen to them. You need lots and lots and lots of professional tools, and I am the professional tool who will sell them all to you.

:wink:

I would get the following:

MacBook Pro
Glyph 1TB GT062 RAID external hard drive
M-Box Pro
Axiom Pro 49
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones
Live 8
APC40
Pluggo
and a pair of Studio Projects C1 microphones

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Id get
- Mac Pro (quadcore, 8GB RAM)
- MOTU 896mk3 Firewire
- MOTU MIDI EXPRESS 128
- Moog Voyager
- Nordlead 2x
- Mackie HR824MK2 monitors
- Live 8
- Some vsts (mastering etc)

:lol:

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:39 pm

I would rent a pro studio when needed..
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron