i just got picked up as a producer, help with studio!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Rinsemeister

Re: i just got picked up as a producer, help with studio!!!

Post by Rinsemeister » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:30 pm

All of the above................but how did you get this job?

Were some devious sexual favours involved?

newdropera

Post by newdropera » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:34 pm

Rinsemeister wrote:All of the above................but how did you get this job?

Were some devious sexual favours involved?
HAHAHAAH....to quote team america:

'Please, Gary. I'm not from Hollywood, I'm not going to f*** your mouth, and my time is EXTREMELY valuable! '

newdropera

Post by newdropera » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:40 pm

ashtonron wrote:For some reason I got reminded of this...
rob playford wrote: "goldie has a very vivid imagination, and knows nothing about the technical side of the process. meanwhile, my imagination has been stunted by the familiarity i have with the electronics. if i'm sitting here on my own and i have an idea for a track, i go through this whole process of whether i should bother doing it or not. if there's someone beside you like goldie, who comes up with the same idea, but can't realise it, then you want to show what you're capable of -- it becomes a challenge.

"goldie and i both came through similar musical experiences at the end of the '80s and in the early '90s, so he could describe things to me that others wouldn't begin to understand; it was a very special chemistry. i would then have a go at it, and he'd get excited that here was somebody who could turn this sound or style in his head into something that he could actually hear. i was like an interface, but an interactive one; i could see the direction he was going in and try and take him that little bit further with my knowledge of the gear. then that extra step would kick him up onto another level. that's my role; being able to understand what someone is telling me and not just doing it, but showing them what else the technology is capable of, based on that seed of an idea.
and i really dig on that quote there. that's how i feel, i've never been one to bother myself with the technical side of things. i have the ideas but am still in the stage of having trouble translating them into what i need to hear. engineers always will have my respect for their technical know how.

newdropera

Post by newdropera » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:41 pm

oh you guys. thanks to all who actually took the time to answer my post instead of just wondering how 'this guy' in your eyes could get the job.

because, as we all know, it's about who you know and not how good you think you are. a friend heard my music and wanted to help me out, is that really too hard to believe?

and at first thought all i really wanted was a macbook pro and ableton live 8, because that's what i'm used to using. i merely asked for suggestions because i thought some people would like to help a fellow out, not stand around mouth agape hating like a street punk. so clown shoes to you guys.

i'm going to be part of a music production team. right now our current project is backing tracks for what i've been told is like a big music video/documentary about current west coast hip hop. right now i'm working on beats for filler time like during interviews and stuff.

and of course it's about how you use the equipment, maybe i should have put in my first post 'besides stating the obvious guys.'

you may have your doubts, but i know i have the creative cajones to see this through, and someone obviously has faith in me too.

i mainly am going to be making beats, but would also like to have recording capabilities, as i am a bass player as well and think the ability to record live basslines would be great.

this friday i am having lunch with my friend and will discuss what it is the in-house studio will have and in specifics what my duties will entail.

but so far thanks for all your guys' inputs. just remember, be nice and respectful to anyone you meet, because you have no idea what they might be able to offer you.

jesso

Post by jesso » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:45 pm

KUDOS to you my man!

As for what you need...
Hmmmmm depends..... I would recommend that you do a HUGE amount of research before you buy ANYTHING!!!
Nothing worse than buying the wrong stuff. I've done it plenty.
Heres what I use pretty much. You can hear my music at http://www.myspace.com/jesseboothmusic.
Judge the sound quality for yourself, but I think I can get pretty pro results with this setup.

Macbook
Large Screen
RME fireface 400
ADAM A7 speakers
Dangerous D Box
External Hard Drives
Live 8 Suite
Logic pro
Metric Halo Channel Strip
PSP Vintage warmer
Pair of Neumann 184 mics
Neumann 103 Mic
DAV BG no.2
Really Nice Compressor
Really Nice Pre
Good chair
TREAT YOUR ROOM ACOUSTICALLY
Lots more stuff too I'm too lazy to name.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:55 pm

Lo siento hombre.

But, now you have posted a few more specifics, I'm sure that people on this forum can be a little more helpful.

I've been doing this shit for 20 years or more (yeah, I'm a geriatric) and nobody has done me any favours.

I've had to work for it. I'm still not making heaps of dosh but it pays the rent.

What I'm trying to convey is that you need to have a knowledge base of contemporary genres and how these genres are
produced to fit in with the current musical / production climate.

Research, research, research!

Live is a massively versatile tool for realising your ideas BUT you need to be able to use the tools that you have.

No one piece of software can help you realise your dream unless you first take the time to learn the basics............etc.

Z.

newdropera

Post by newdropera » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Rinsemeister wrote:Lo siento hombre.

But, now you have posted a few more specifics, I'm sure that people on this forum can be a little more helpful.

I've been doing this shit for 20 years or more (yeah, I'm a geriatric) and nobody has done me any favours.

I've had to work for it. I'm still not making heaps of dosh but it pays the rent.

What I'm trying to convey is that you need to have a knowledge base of contemporary genres and how these genres are
produced to fit in with the current musical / production climate.

Research, research, research!

Live is a massively versatile tool for realising your ideas BUT you need to be able to use the tools that you have.

No one piece of software can help you realise your dream unless you first take the time to learn the basics............etc.

Z.
thanks my man. i really appreciate the input. and i seriously have respect for you for making the music you love because you love it. and yes, i will be researching now more than ever. i'll probably have to listen to the sorts of artists that will be presented in the dvd.

for more background, don't worry i'm not being picked up by sony or anything. this is a new up and coming independent media consulting business, but they have awesome networking skills and have been bumping elbows with some important people all over. i'm not exactly going to be shooing timbaland and lil wayne out of the studio like cockroaches.....but the thought of it does entertain me.

i want to take the online berkley classes for ableton live and really learn to unlock it's full capabilities.

to be honest when i was presented with this opportunity i silently freaked out on the inside, wondering if i could even hope to be up to the job. the thing is that thinking negatively like that will only fulfill hopes of failure, right now i'm in a good place to do great things, and i want to make good on it. i am humble and very thankful to have this opportunity.

i am also very thankful for you guys and this forum. had you not all had previous experience in what i'm about to get into i would be completely lost.

so thanks you guys. seriously. more info to come.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:32 pm

I wish you all the best and loads of success.

If I was offered a situation like you have I think I might freak too! 8O

It's a dog eat dog world out there but I guess that you have youth (or age) on your side. Also tings am moved onnabit since me waz a young man. :oops:

Go for it but don't fuck up! :mrgreen:

Z.

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Massive congrats newdropera! :D

And plus one to doing loads of research. Don't rush into any big purchases, take your time. ;)
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:53 pm

newdropera wrote:oh you guys. thanks to all who actually took the time to answer my post instead of just wondering how 'this guy' in your eyes could get the job.

because, as we all know, it's about who you know and not how good you think you are. a friend heard my music and wanted to help me out, is that really too hard to believe?

and at first thought all i really wanted was a macbook pro and ableton live 8, because that's what i'm used to using. i merely asked for suggestions because i thought some people would like to help a fellow out, not stand around mouth agape hating like a street punk. so clown shoes to you guys.

i'm going to be part of a music production team. right now our current project is backing tracks for what i've been told is like a big music video/documentary about current west coast hip hop. right now i'm working on beats for filler time like during interviews and stuff.

and of course it's about how you use the equipment, maybe i should have put in my first post 'besides stating the obvious guys.'

you may have your doubts, but i know i have the creative cajones to see this through, and someone obviously has faith in me too.

i mainly am going to be making beats, but would also like to have recording capabilities, as i am a bass player as well and think the ability to record live basslines would be great.

this friday i am having lunch with my friend and will discuss what it is the in-house studio will have and in specifics what my duties will entail.

but so far thanks for all your guys' inputs. just remember, be nice and respectful to anyone you meet, because you have no idea what they might be able to offer you.
congratulations.. wondering if you get to keep the equipment after the project is done, as a payment of some sort? what is the budget again? but my opinion would be

essentials
1. a nice audio card (RME, Motu,) with some nice converters and stable drivers for OSX and right amount of in/outs for your needs.
2. a good pair of monitors.. get some Adams A7's or Focals.. if budget allows, K&H..
3. treat your room..
4. a nice dedicated mic pre and good mic
5. a couple of midi controllers that caters to your needs
6. ergonomics ( comfy chair, track ball, etc.)
7. a dry erase board within reach for jotting down ideas fast
8. a good pair of headphones..i prefer audio technica ATH-M50
9. extra RAM and external HD for your Macbook Pro.. I still say get a dedicated Desktop for better expansion.
10. a pair of consumer computer speakers to double check ur mixes as this will most likely be how your stuff will be listened to..
11. most importantly, don't forget to have fun and listen to your client's needs..

extra's
1. various plug-ins (essentially, everything can be done in Ableton, but depending on your needs, you can expand if needed.. I say start simple w/ Ableton and buy on a needed basis instead buying a bunch of stuff which will over whelm you and be counter productive)
2. hardware/outboard gear to improve overall sound. ANALOG!!
3. more accoustic treatment and if needed, room correction software

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:01 pm

newdropera wrote:oh you guys. thanks to all who actually took the time to answer my post instead of just wondering how 'this guy' in your eyes could get the job.

No need to get offended. Just wanted to get a take on what was going on. Not hatin', congratulatin' and just wonderin'. So you're savvy on the ideas side, not so savvy on the tech side... great, now that clears things up. Serious props on landing the gig

Can't add much to what has been said already. Most of these guys have given you all the useful tips you need to get started.

Since you need an audio interface, and you need one of the best... wanna buy my RME Fireface 800? It's a little bit of overkill for me at the moment, so I'm sure someone else (like you!) could get much more out of it. Holler back!

/end hustle :lol:

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:47 pm

Yea, congrats man! I didn't mean to be a dick, I'm just jealous!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:54 pm

^yeah, he gets like that. ;) :P

hey man, I noticed you'll be producing hip hop as well, be sure to get renter's insurance.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Trip Downtown

Post by Trip Downtown » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:32 am

I'll just chuck into the mix that it might be worth grabbing a few of the larger sample packs out there. While it might be great to think you'll create an interesting and orginal piece of music for every situation the time will come when they just want something yesterday. And that something might be in a genre you have no idea about or whatever. Having that accordian loop and that breakcore loop already sitting around will help speed up the process of delivering your clients the massive breakcore accordian anthem theme song they so desperately want. :D

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:58 am

Tone Deft wrote: hey man, I noticed you'll be producing hip hop as well, be sure to get renter's insurance.
I see what you did there... and i lol'd.

PS, and sorry for the quick hijack: all of you who are mentioning these sample libraries... which ones would you recommend? I'm thinking of stocking up my sample collection for multi-purpose/multi-media production (music/film/TV/games/etc).