APC minimal edition

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Angstrom

APC minimal edition

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:58 pm

no good reason for this, just a stupid idea. closer to my preference

I took the mixer functions off because while the clip matrix is in its own league, the APC mixer functions are not as good as what I already have.

with the cost saving from removing the dead faders and the pan controls I bought an LCD that tells me what scene and track I have currently selected

Also, note my single transport button, 'play', allowing you to start, but not ever stop ;)

Johnisfaster

Re: APC minimal edition

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:03 pm

that looks great, make the main matrix 8x8 and I think it's perfect. I only want it 8x8 cause it drives me crazy when things aren't symmetrical.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:09 pm

What I think they should do is make the thing modular with the clip matrix as the main brain and all sorts of controls available as extra add on banks: faders, knobs, LCD screens, more clip buttons, etc.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:13 pm

modular always makes it more expensive though.

and they don't want to give you the option of going minimal, they genuinely want to sell you a little extra that you wouldn't have originally wanted when you bought the machine. in Angstroms case it's the mixer section
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks Angstrom, now we're getting somewhere...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 pm

it seems to me like you could probably manage to get 16 knobs in there with a little finessing

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:modular always makes it more expensive though.

and they don't want to give you the option of going minimal, they genuinely want to sell you a little extra that you wouldn't have originally wanted when you bought the machine. in Angstroms case it's the mixer section
But they can still have the "every man" version and then also the modular. People are already complaining about the "don't need" or "not enough" factors for their desired way of working on the APC40.

If Korg can sell Nanos for $50 then I don't see why this kind of thing wouldn't also be affordable. Maybe make the base brain matrix $300 and add on modules $75 - $150 depending on their complexity. I think it would do well. Sure that would make it more expensive than an APC40 but you would get exactly what you want for a reasonable price. A lot of people already thought the APC40 would be twice what it actually costs before the price was announced.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:it seems to me like you could probably manage to get 16 knobs in there with a little finessing
...ah, fond memories of Berghain...

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:50 pm

Here's mine......

For those who bought into Novations automap.

Edited the photo 'cos remote sl's don't have enough buttons
Last edited by twisted-space on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:56 pm

twisted-space wrote:Here's mine......

For those who bought into Novations automap.
I've found my performance needs served by using the APC for grid/transport/fader channel controls and my Nocturn and my SL's for everything else. They are simply far superior when it comes to plugin and MIDI controls.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:56 pm

If a device is to unseat my existing 'mixer' strategy it needs to be better than my existing solution and certainly not less functional, like the APC is.

A Live 'mixer' needs to at the very least reflect the GUI, and then also give me something extra that is better than what I have; EG: a rudimentary led output meter on each fader so I can see what's happening with the track levels.

If the mixer is just another effort like all the others on the market then where's the point in me getting rid of my current not-great system for it.

The clip matrix is great, the weak mixer implementation is a waste.

------------------------
BTW - I really like twisted-space's one, but it probably does still need the bank controls ;)

8O's is the best so far

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:02 pm

beats me wrote:People are already complaining about the "don't need" or "not enough" .
that will never end though, you've been around long enough to see that every version of live comes out with a "OOOOOOOO AHHHHHHHH THATS AMAZING" and quickly follows a "WHAT THE HELL, I DON'T LIKE HOW IT..." because people are just like that.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:07 pm

Still don't really get the general complaint about the faders or inability to look past your own personal setup in comparison. Sure they could be better implemented or more robust but they are still something that gets used. More people would be annoyed if it didn't come with faders and they had to use another controller for that basic function.

There's a lot of controllers that have dead pickup faders but for whatever reason this is inexcusable on an APC40?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:11 pm

beats me wrote: There's a lot of controllers that have dead pickup faders but for whatever reason this is inexcusable on an APC40?
thats how I feel too, I haven't played a gig in quite a few years now but when I did gig I didn't start off with a mix at all. pull all the volume faders down and slowly bring them up as you go. perfect for live use.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:14 pm

beats me wrote:Still don't really get the general complaint about the faders or inability to look past your own personal setup in comparison. Sure they could be better implemented or more robust but they are still something that gets used. More people would be annoyed if it didn't come with faders and they had to use another controller for that basic function.

There's a lot of controllers that have dead pickup faders but for whatever reason this is inexcusable on an APC40?

imagine how much more expensive it would be if they had motorized faders. and even if it did, people would probably not only complain about the price but they'd also want some nickle-plated yadda yadda shit instead of the ones it came with.