From Studio monitors to PC speakers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JRM

From Studio monitors to PC speakers

Post by JRM » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Hey... I have recorded a couple of tracks with my band and played around with them for a while i Live and I'm pretty close to an end result. But the mix only sound right on my studio monitors and when played on different sets of PC speakers the bass might get to heavy or the snare or kick gets to far back in the mix.
I could mix the tracks on my studio monitors and a pair normal PC speakers, but there are so many different systems/speakers/headphones out there that I don't know how to go about this.

How do you guys translate you mix to "the world" :) I know details will be lost when played on different systems but if the snare gets way to weak or the bass swallows all instruments or the guitar dominates ect. the song is kind of ruined. When I listen to Big artists it doesn't seem to matter if I listen to their tracks with headphones - good or bad quality, or pc speakers, the "core" of the song is always decent. The tracks might loose some highs or lows but the mix is still there.....

How do I make sure that the "core mix" of my song translate well to whatever system they might be played on - is it even possible?

What is your approach..

Superchibisan

Re: From Studio monitors to PC speakers

Post by Superchibisan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:06 pm

well if you hear those deficiencies in those speakers, those are the problems with the mix.

take your track and run it through multiple speaker systems. itemize the things that need to be adjusted on each speaker set. adjust mix accordingly.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:43 pm

What model studio monitors do you have and what are the characteristics of the room in which you are mixing? Any acoustic treatment?

K.

smili

Post by smili » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:44 pm

You can also setup several sets of speakers on the machine you mix on and alternate between them to identify problem areas. Have your studio monitors, cheap boombox speakers, and maybe something else. For some reason car speakers seem to act a bit different, not sure if you'd want to try to rig something similar for them also.

I've gone through many sets of mixes where I burn, mail them to people who listen on alot of different systems and get feedback. Riding around in cars listening always produced alot of insights.