Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
continuous
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm
Location: PDX

Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by continuous » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:07 am


leonard
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:52 am
Location: ? ?

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by leonard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:13 am

ima go out on a limb here and say something in max?
maybe processed samples, granular synths. destroyed/processed fm?
just get some marimba samples, a granular synth, see what happens.
???

leonard
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:52 am
Location: ? ?

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by leonard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:14 am

thats not to say i know anything. quite the opposite.
just guessing.
???

continuous
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm
Location: PDX

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by continuous » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:30 am

leonard wrote:processed samples, granular synths. destroyed/processed fm? just get some marimba samples, a granular synth, see what happens.
...your "guesses" are interesting suggestions in their own right. thanx...

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by starving student » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:36 am

never get enough of this guys stuff

continuous
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm
Location: PDX

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by continuous » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:46 am

know anything about him? setup etc?

Doing stuff like this is what makes me want Max for Live! I've worked with both Modul8 and Zwonull.MGFX connected to Live via ethernet but find it very hard to really control the visuals with live clips.

His sound and visuals are really 'one'... audiovisual artist is a perfect title for what he does...

continuous
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm
Location: PDX

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by continuous » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:49 am

Guess getting more involved in this isn't really keeping it simple as I've promised myself to do... but have been wanting to do this kinda stuff for a long time.

His 'sound' is fantastic... he is able to move from sound design to sounds that also have beats within them. Fuck. Not to mention the visual aspects.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by starving student » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:03 am

I don't now his techs but it distinctively sounds like less is more ommiting the visuals you could probably emulate alot of his sound with an sp-303 strangely enough,

continuous
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm
Location: PDX

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by continuous » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:25 am

starving student wrote:I don't now his techs but it distinctively sounds like less is more ommiting the visuals you could probably emulate alot of his sound with an sp-303 strangely enough,
You read my mind...

I was also thinking today about the less is more aspect of his sound... but I find it deceptively simple and quite difficult to emulate.

Even this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-i8B44 ... re=related... it has something I find hard to create even though it is not necessarily 'complex' it has a lot of depth. I guess I'm just really 'moved' by it.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by starving student » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:23 am

I know what you mean, now that i'm super curious I might have to try to research it somebodys gotta be talking about this somewhere besides us :mrgreen:
i'll report my findings if there are any

continuous
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm
Location: PDX

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by continuous » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:38 am

Cool! I've been googling off and on for a couple days but haven't found much real info. How do you know about his work?

Found here...

http://dronesandpulses.blogspot.com/fee ... lt?alt=rss

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by starving student » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:55 pm

I found out about him some time ago on my own, his art just clicks
with me.

Superchibisan
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:25 pm

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by Superchibisan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:26 pm

very intelligent. thank you!

db2
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by db2 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:24 pm

I have a friend who does very similar work. He uses just about every tool imaginable, but when it comes to his integrated audio/visual work he uses several max patches routed together controlling a couple of jitter patches (the max video object set). It's the perfect way to sync many parameters of your audio to video.

I know plenty of guys who use max and lots of other seemingly academic tools to compose their audio work, but who then use very simple tools to perform it, although they tend to have many more complex mappings then the average cat.

But when it comes to that very intimate and subtle audio to video connection, max/msp/jitter provides an extremely flexible environment.

continuous
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm
Location: PDX

Re: Ryoichi Kurokawa ?

Post by continuous » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:55 pm

db2 wrote:I have a friend who does very similar work. He uses just about every tool imaginable, but when it comes to his integrated audio/visual work he uses several max patches routed together controlling a couple of jitter patches (the max video object set). It's the perfect way to sync many parameters of your audio to video.

I know plenty of guys who use max and lots of other seemingly academic tools to compose their audio work, but who then use very simple tools to perform it, although they tend to have many more complex mappings then the average cat.

But when it comes to that very intimate and subtle audio to video connection, max/msp/jitter provides an extremely flexible environment.

Thanx for the info! I'm wondering how Max 4 Live will play out in regards to creating projects like this?

Post Reply