CPU Maxed Out!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dpel

CPU Maxed Out!

Post by dpel » Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:32 pm

i'm using a G4 400.
i'm running Live 1.5.2, Reason 2.0 and often Digital Performer 3.0.

lots of upper 75% spikes and audio clicks.

will i notice a significant performance improvment with a 900+ processor or a duel?

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:32 am

Wait for Jaguar and see if things improve 1st. If they don't then get a PC. You will spend twice as much on a Mac to get 1/2 the audio performance.

jory

Post by jory » Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:46 am

Geraldo wrote: You will spend twice as much on a Mac to get 1/2 the audio performance.
In the case of LIVE, this is largely a programming issue for Ableton to resolve. An ugly one at that.

Alex Reynolds

Yep...

Post by Alex Reynolds » Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:33 pm

I have to second this observation...

I've been working with other audio applications and a few different adapters under beta versions of OS X 10.2 and so far only Live is suffering problems. The adapters have been using the native CoreAudio frameworks for audio I/O.

It isn't only Live's seeming CPU inefficiency that is problematic, but I'm not the only one noticing performance quality (stutter/click defects and drop-outs) and I/O problems that prevent good recordings.

I love making music with Live, and don't intend any disrespect, but for performances or for studio work it doesn't seem solid with respect to the aforementioned issues.

I guess buying a Windows box is one solution, but I am already invested in the equipment (and software) that I am using. It seems kind of facetious to suggest users change platforms.

Would Ableton's developers have any comments on the future of Live on the Mac platform?

-Alex

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:08 pm

Alex, what have you tested under 10.2?

Are the any significant performance enhancements for our existing programs?

2ndly, is live MP aware?

I look forward to abletons reply...

-Keith

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:00 am

I don't think a platform change is silly unless you just dropped a bundle on a Mac recently and can't afford to eat out for a while. But, if someone is thinking that its upgrade time, PCs are the best bang for your buck right now. I don't think the new PowerMacs have changed the landscape that much.
I think your software choice is also an important consideration. Simply put, Logic is MP aware and Altivec optimized. Live is not. Gerhardt has said this several times. Look at the performance test thread that is still going on. Live runs better on a PC, period. Logic runs better on a Mac. That's why I run LIVE on my PC and Logic on my Titanium. If you can't afford both platforms then you must choose what will work best with the software you want to use. Not the other way around.
I love and hate things about both platforms. I also love Live, but I love it on a PC.

Alex Reynolds

Quick question...

Post by Alex Reynolds » Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:10 am

If you buy a yellow car for $10,000, shouldn't it be reasonable to expect the same car of the same price with a red paint job give the same performance and handling?

This isn't about Mac vs Windows...

-Alex

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:18 am

Hi Alex,
Hmm... If I were feeling less cynical than usual I would agree with you. But frankly, history has shown that sometimes yellow cars do work better than red ones. Even if they do cost the same. And we can't do a damn thing about it. Except refrain from buying red cars and hope the market place will correct itself. If Ableton is unable to code well for Mac, well, I don't know what we can do about it. If Mac only has 5% of the market on a good day, should a fledgling software company in a depressed world economy devote precious development time/money to eeking out a little more CPU oomph for a small but vocal minority? Maybe. Maybe not. I really wish they would, but wishing takes time I could be spending making music with Live on my PC. :wink:
Geraldo

os

Post by os » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:14 am

Geraldo wrote:If Mac only has 5% of the market on a good day
5% of the world PC market, but what percentage of the laptop music market? much higher, I would guess.
in fact I've never seen a pc laptop at a gig, but I've seen plenty of macs...

voyeur

Post by voyeur » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:45 am

well,

i've seen mr. jan jelinek perform a gig with his mac. i just couldn't let this opportunity pass to see how much cpu it cost him....
he had about 12 tracks, like 8 runnin at the same time, with:

60%

i just had to put that cynical smile on my face, with my pc laptop runnin 15 tracks at a time, with lot's o fx......

btw. the gig wasn't that amazing

voyeur

Post by voyeur » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:47 am

ooops,

about 15 tracks runnin at a time = 45%

:D

dpel

cpu spat

Post by dpel » Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:48 am

you guys are funny.
what do you guys think about live running on the new dual 1.25 gig
amcs?

fux_

Post by fux_ » Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:32 am

well here are a couple things to consider:
I have a couple patches that I use live. one is 16 tracks, one is 9. with all of the tracks playing, the patch with 16 tracks is at 12 percent and the patch with 9 tracks is at about 70 percent CPU utilization.

the difference in CPU utilization has to do with the fx in use. a trick that I use and that you might find handy is that once you have a sample in a channel, with right fx on it and it sounds just right, add another track, set the input to master out and resample the sound, post fx, into the new channel. then you can remove the fx from the channel and replace the "dry" sample with the "wet" one. this wont be a passable solution in every situation, for instance if you like to tweak fx live, but for some sounds, its a great way to regain CPU power. gives you fx soaked tracks without having to bring your cray to the show with you.

-Joe

D Fresh

giggin with PC

Post by D Fresh » Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:21 pm

I'm gigging with a rackmounted 933 PC in Windows 2k (sound card is Frontier Dakota) and it never goes over 40% CPU even using a dozen VST fx. In the studio I hit it harder by ReWiring it to Sonar2.0XL and Rebirth with Sonar running NI FM7, Absynth, and Junglist. Still no problem. I don't know why you would have trouble because my machine is pretty low end really. Maybe it has more to do with the audio card (shrug).

cperezzz

Re: CPU Maxed Out!

Post by cperezzz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:12 pm

try to patch live 1.5.2
world wide peacemaker