which SOFT SYNTH should i get next?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

which SOFT SYNTH should i get next?

Purchase SONIK SYNTH 2.
2%
Purchase SYLENTH1.
47%
Stick with OPERATOR and create my own new sounds.
51%

Total votes: 57

mholloway

Re: which SOFT SYNTH should i get next?

Post by mholloway » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:33 am

i heard some stuff from Sonik Synth and thought it sounded really chintzy and cheesey, couldn´t see the appeal there at all -- same way I feel whenever I hear those old E-MU sound boxes that cakewalk or someone is reproducing now, full of that thin, nasal 80´s reedy sound in everything. Sylenth1 is really fun and has a big phat sound, on the other hand, plus it´s a real synth whereas sonik seems more like a workstation clone type dealie. but c´mon, of these three, OPERATOR is the best. and you have it. sooooo, why spend money...says the boy with a huge softsynth collection, half of which he stills needs to dive further into.....

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:42 am

big fan of Sylenth. after that Operator.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

forge

Post by forge » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:43 am

Just got a hold of Circle. Impressed so far, but having some teething problems. Will give a proper review when I get a moment.

But the new updates to Operator are pretty impressive

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:50 am

BT is a top pro musician and he says Sylenth1 is the top VST for tarnce if you don't believe me here is a picture of him playing it... :D :D :D

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:53 am

Tarekith wrote:
casioaz1 wrote:i heard alot of people say ZEBRA is a little confusing for the novice.true?
Not really, just take it slow and work through the online manual. Very well worth the time you spend learning to use it.
Yes, I think some RTFM would help me a lot, because I have found it a little difficult so far. I don't actually own it yet, and most of my messing with it has been taking presets and cranking knobs, but yes, it's got the juice. But so does operator, and I'm currently experiencing what a handful it can be to master too. And enjoying it abundantly.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:16 am

djsynchro wrote: Image
:lol: :lol:

Synchro, have you got into the happy gas lately or something? You are totally cracking me up with your photoshop antics....

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:33 am

teardove wrote:I think the YOUTUBE demos of SYLENTH1 really sold me on wanting it. but, i'm sure i could create them in OPERATOR. i just love presets so much, and lazy to create my own.
Kore is what you want then. Native Instruments have basically started releasing preset libraries instead of constantly upgrading their synth and sampler lines for cash flow, so there will be plenty of new Kore packs down the line.

Just buying another synth for it's presets alone could get spendy. Also, there are plenty of preset libraries for Zebra 2 out now, so that one is a choice if you just want to stick to presets.

teardove

Post by teardove » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:46 am

thanks for all the feedback. keep them coming. i just get bored easily i guess. or am i addicted to clicking on new sounds?
looks like sonik synth 2 might not be the way to go.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:48 am

Well this totally depends on what you have already and what kind of sounds you're after/what type of music you're in to. You say you the KLC (analog or digital or the old one?) and Massive and operator. Ok so you've got fm, lots of nastiness and grit with massive and operator, probably have the VA'a in the KLC.

I'd always suggest Sylenth1 because of how simple it is and how easy it is to come up with your own sounds that sound great. It's almost impossible to make it sound bad. But it's straight VA so you might find some overlap with some of the KLC. So you might want something sort of unique, apart from the regular VA or FM or even wavetables.

Zebra does spring to mind, since it has so many synthesis types and can simple or complex depending on the patch. And there are TONS of presets for it, both user community free ones and paid add-ons. Alchemy is also worth looking at. It does additive, spectral, granular and VA synthesis. Might be a perfect fit for you for something different. Or synplant is very simple but very different if you haven't checked that out yet.

If you like presets and are really into analog type sounds, Arturia Analog factory might be a good bet too. Lots of presets from the engines of all 6 of their synths.
Professional Shark Jumper.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:54 am

teardove wrote:thanks for all the feedback. keep them coming. i just get bored easily i guess. or am i addicted to clicking on new sounds?
i think everyone goes through a phase of that. i spent about a year doing very little but installing soft synths and going through presets. and a fine time i had too!

didnt make any music though.

a breakthrough for me was limiting myself to one soft synth for quite a while and learning it inside out.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:00 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
teardove wrote:thanks for all the feedback. keep them coming. i just get bored easily i guess. or am i addicted to clicking on new sounds?
i think everyone goes through a phase of that. i spent about a year doing very little but installing soft synths and going through presets. and a fine time i had too!

didn't make any music though.

a breakthrough for me was limiting myself to one soft synth for quite a while and learning it inside out.
request for a Live feature to randomize plug in parameters!!

can I get an amen?!?!?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:04 am

A-FLOCKING-MEN!

I love randomize preset on synths, greta way to find new sounds quickly.

Trip Downtown

Post by Trip Downtown » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:24 am

If you're preset hungry then my vote is for Zebra or Kore. :)

Of course pretty everything you have plus whatever you get next are awesome for tweaking/creating your own presets so win/win really.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 am

Sylenth comes with a TON of presets and Lennard is active in making making more if you request on his KVR forum, there's a load of new ones on his site for registered users. PLUS, Sylenth is super easy to program, even I can do it.

I know how easy people say Operator is to program but I never have the patience to persevere with it, actually thought about selling it.

So my vote, as always, is to buy Sylenth.

Greeg

Post by Greeg » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 pm

you should write which other vst plugins do you have. then we would find something good :)

also - are you a preset "whore" ? ;) or you like to programm each synth on your own ?

Sylenth is great - especially if you're dance, trance music. On the other hand it lacks some modulation settings.

Zebra2 is great too if you like the gui. To be honest I prefer "all on one screen" design, not zilion screens, tabs etc.

Synapse Toxic II 2.5 http://www.synapse-audio.com/ is very nice monstersynth, and the price (compared to what is offers) is laughable - 49 $. It has 6 oscillators, it has very powerful FM matrix and great sequencer letting you load / save your patterns. So it's great especially for arps, pads (there are about 600 presets). Check youtube for some demos. Cheaper product not always means crap product. I have my own theory why it's cheap (that's the last version available branded as Synapse, newer and in my opinions worser version are branded Image-Line).

Quik Quak Glass Viper http://www.quikquak.com/ 35 pounds) is very nice synth and actually pretty unique synth with unique waveform shaping abilities - it's great for all kind of moving, evolving sounds.

aah, almost forgot - if you're bored try Tone2 Gladiator :d
VST Cafe - music production blog, ableton, vst
Novation V-Station, Toxic Biohazard, Cakewalk Z3ta+ - modern electronic, EDM, pop soundbanks | Tone2 Gladiator Space Station - soundbank