Equipment for a live setup

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Dash

Equipment for a live setup

Post by Dash » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:41 am

Hello!

I am quite new here but I am not new to the music world. I am a tabla, didgeridoo, and percussion player. I have played cello for four years aswell. I have a CD that was mixed and played on by Bill Laswell. Clips can be heard at www.myspace.com/musicoftheancients

My question is this. I have about 3-4 thousand dollars to spend and I am trying to create a live system that will allow me to better express my musical vision. I have been thinking about getting a Macbook Pro and I already have ableton. I need a system that is versitile so I can play in small intimate settings and for larger audiences.

Any ideas or suggestions?

D K

Re: Equipment for a live setup

Post by D K » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:44 am

so..
what is your musical vision?
just browsed the tracks. you like reverb lots!
Last edited by D K on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:46 am

of the bat as a percussionist check out alternate mode
i have the DK-10 and yes i am a fan :)
i got mine used but it is worth the money new too
http://www.alternatemode.com/dk10.shtml

astromass

Post by astromass » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:48 am

man, those are some pretty trippy and "earthy" images on yer myspace. welcome.

can't go wrong with a macbook. i used pc laptops for years and had ok results, except for the HOURS of fucking with it to work...then i switched to mac notebooks about 7 years ago and now i consider them my friends, not just computers. (an no..i don't have a manscaped beard, nor do i drive a prius, nor do i live in san fran or drink $4 cups of coffee...hehehe) thats big in my book.

good luck.

laswell is rad.
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

Dash

Post by Dash » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:50 am

D K wrote:so..
what is your musical vision?
just browsed the tracks. you like reverb lots!
Musically my vision is that of total inclusion. All music is world music. The more we expand our vision to include more possibilities and combinations the more creative, inspiring, and connected it becomes. Its not about genre or style, it’s about what the musician is conveying. I like the light ambient stuff as well as the beat heavy dark stuff. It all has its place.

For my specific purpose right now I wish to create a sort of shamanic sound system that widens people’s scope of vision through example and frequencies. I guess the genre could be called something like forest music :). It’s all about reconnecting people to the frequencies of the earth while incorporating modern oscillations and technologies. Everything in this universe is vibration so the effect music can have on people is great. It can open them to new possibilities.

In one sentence, I want to help through music.

Initially I want to create an emergent sound system. I want to buy a couple pieces of equipment that will allow me to get started with my vision right now while allowing the ability to expand and build upon in the future. For this ableton should work beautifully!

That DK-10 looks amazing. Something I will definitely want eventually. I just need some essential things to get me started...but I am not sure where to start!

Thank you guys for the warm welcome, it’s appreciated beyond words.

-Dash

rabblebasics

Post by rabblebasics » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:53 am

macbook, ableton, and an akai mpk 49 is a good start. really all you need is a computer and some form of controller to control what your running on your computer (ableton) and then it comes down to designing music with your controller and learning to play it back for others.

also the new mpc40 is slick.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:55 am

In addition to the laptop and Live, I would recommend a controller or two, a pair of Mackies and a subwoofer, and a multi-input soundcard.

For controllers, you could use just the APC-40. Or a BCF2000 and BCR2000. Or an APC-40 and a BCR2000. And/or the Behringer foot controller FCB1010.

The controllers plus the mutli-input soundcard will allow you to record perfectly cut loops of your self and others' instrument inputs. With Live 8's Looper you can even manage this without playing to the sequencer but rather having the sequencer sync up to you. The controllers also allow you to mix everything in and out at will and dub everything up.

You might need to have a cue mix setup with a monitor or in-ear monitor in order to get the sequenced click or loop since you're the drummer.

Congrats on the Lazzy collab! I'm a big fan!
Life is Good

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:04 am

Oh. This would also be the perfect time to by a Macbook Pro refurbished off the Apple site since the JUST released a new version. You'll save alot of money that can go to other stuff!
Life is Good

Dash

Post by Dash » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks for the advice nowtime. So with these controllers plus the sound card there is no need for a mixer?

I also need a couple decent mics obviously.

Yeah Laswell was my original music inspiration.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Motu makes great soundcards

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... e&go=Go%21

These should be all you need for a mixer. Unless you have lots of inputs and need to submix. I find that 4 stereo analog inputs plus 2 mic-pre inputs is generally all I need (Motu 828).

good luck!
Life is Good

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Dash wrote:Thanks for the advice nowtime. So with these controllers plus the sound card there is no need for a mixer?

I also need a couple decent mics obviously.

Yeah Laswell was my original music inspiration.
any idea how many analog inputs your going to need?

sounds like your going to use allot of instruments.
in our set up we have a 2 hardware synths, 2 vocals, 1 upright bass, and a clarinet (uses the vocal mic)

i run all that through a presonus firestudio 26/26 then i either split the signals using the firestudio or D.I.'s for FOH and Monitors (we do our on monitors.)
i almost have all the parts i need to build a pretty sweet 8 channel 4 way splitter :)

dont scrimp on the audio interface.
i like the firestudio for all the routing options.

D K

Post by D K » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Dash wrote: Musically my vision is that of total inclusion. All music is world music. The more we expand our vision to include more possibilities and combinations the more creative, inspiring, and connected it becomes. Its not about genre or style, it’s about what the musician is conveying. I like the light ambient stuff as well as the beat heavy dark stuff. It all has its place.

For my specific purpose right now I wish to create a sort of shamanic sound system that widens people’s scope of vision through example and frequencies. I guess the genre could be called something like forest music :). It’s all about reconnecting people to the frequencies of the earth while incorporating modern oscillations and technologies. Everything in this universe is vibration so the effect music can have on people is great. It can open them to new possibilities.

In one sentence, I want to help through music.

Initially I want to create an emergent sound system. I want to buy a couple pieces of equipment that will allow me to get started with my vision right now while allowing the ability to expand and build upon in the future. For this ableton should work beautifully!

-Dash
ableton is an amazing thing, perfect starting point.
i understand your philosophy, but still blurry on the vision(technically).
you solo, or performing with other artists?
what instrumentation?
what size gigs?
how portable must it be?
as for the philosophy, i had the same many years ago,
and we made sure there was A LOT of lsd available.
worked like a charm.

Dash

Post by Dash » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:21 am

Thanks for that link notime. Ill look into it for sure.

Im not planning on needing alot of inputs initially. This could be a long term goal. To start out I need minimal inputs just enough for an instrument or two.

My first goal for this system is to be for solo use. When I have more money I would like to expand upon that.

Instrumentation is tabla, didgeridoos, tibetan bowl, frame drum (hand held), shakers. They dont all need to be micd at the same time though.

Gigs will start out being quite intimate, 15-30 people.

It needs to be portable enough for me to be able to play in settings such as houses, small halls, ect...

Haha LSD.... yeah those days are done for me.

D K

Post by D K » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:38 pm

well then, a quality laptop, interface with at least 2 pre amps (i use an rme fireface live, great unit), a pair of decent quality condenser mics with cables and stands should get you going.
i suggest a pair of shure ksm27 mics...i use these on the road in the studio, amazing mics for only 199 each new.
as far as a controller, you will have to research what works best for you,
you might prefer keys over pads, for example. you might like knobs over faders, you might need none or all of these...
i just got an apc40, i'm going to stick with that into the foreseeable future...
but it took a ton of experimentation to get there. last rig was faderfox controllers, trying to do what the apc does.
anyway, you might need to expand upon that with a small mixer, stereo eq, and a pair of powered speakers (jbl eon, for example.)
with so much percussion and wide open mics, a stereo 31 band eq will be your friend if you have to do pa yourself.
with the type of music you do, i imagine stereo imaging is important...

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Get at least 4 Jazzmutant Lemur and look like Daft Punk :lol:

Just kidding.

You wouldn't want to use your mouse on stage, so get some real knobs (a midi controller). Can't suggest anything, you have to figure out how many knobs you need etc. Do you also need a keyboard? Also you will need a proper audio interface. The builtin mac audio interface is good for its purpose, but if you need more channels, lower latency etc you will need an additional interface.