Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Airjay

Re: Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Post by Airjay » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:01 am

nz wrote:Comping features that Logic and Pro Tools have!
Now that would be great to have in the clip editor for splicing takes together.

I'm a longtime user of many other DAWs, so I might be asking for something that's already there. Please excuse me if that happens.

1) Drag and Dropping clips from session to arrangement view
2) Saving of selected pieces of an arrangement in the library(equivalent of sequences in AudioVision and Avid Media Composer)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:17 am

hoffman2k wrote:
Slightlydelic wrote:i would be very curious to know out of all the features people would like, how many could be made by ourselves in max4live, and how many require ableton to impliment them.

would any of you max/m4l users be willing to scan through the thread and do a list with a definiative yes or no on whether we could do it our selves?

im warming to the idea of max, but still struggling to get a firm understanding of what it is and isnt capable of.
All Ableton has to do is improve the API interaction. Anything beyond that can be implemented by ourselves. If you want to know more you're going to have to be very specific.
Ah I forgot. The only other things Ableton can do is to disable to MIDI limits on MIDI Tracks and provide more audio outputs on Audio Tracks for surround devices.
And give us API access to devices within Racks.

With those things in place I know I can build almost everything I can imagine. To then run into limitations again, I would first have to come up with a project that exposes the limits. Easier said than done though.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:21 am

Airjay wrote:
nz wrote:Comping features that Logic and Pro Tools have!
Now that would be great to have in the clip editor for splicing takes together.

I'm a longtime user of many other DAWs, so I might be asking for something that's already there. Please excuse me if that happens.

1) Drag and Dropping clips from session to arrangement view
2) Saving of selected pieces of an arrangement in the library(equivalent of sequences in AudioVision and Avid Media Composer)
1) Either drag the clips and press TAB to jump to arrangement or drag the clips to the icon with the horizontal bars (session has vertical bars).

2) Read up on the feature called "Live Clips". These are clips that remember their automation and effects.

Airjay

Post by Airjay » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Thank you.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:39 am

My wishes for Ableton Live 9 or everything in between (8.x)
are the following:

1) Ableton needs to address the incremental update problem. Updates are too big, even in the Internet Age
2) Library packs should be separated from the main program like it was in version 5 & 6. This would make downloads smaller. In this way everyone could decide what to download and install in the Library. An empty Library after install would do fine, because we could redirect Live to update our existing Library without any 'forced' addition. Moreover it would be possible to create an alternate Library with the full Live stuff and check what to port in the working library.
3) Library Merge capabilities. Ability to merge Library content selecting different sources

Having said so, I'm particularly happy about Live 8 huge Library content:
This added value to Live, finally a palette of sounds and building blocks for every taste, with less experimental sounds and more on the bread and butter side.

However management of Library needs improvement

4) MIDI Effects to cover MIDI events Filtering other than Velocity/Note like today but more on Note length (I mean filtering out all C# with a Note length of 1/16), MIDI Effects like repetitions (Midi Delay). Arpeggiator needs to add the ability to repeat a sequence ( like Zebra does)

5) Audio effects: I would like an Octaver and a pitch tracking (Audio to MIDI)

6) Instruments : I do not feel the need for new instruments. I would add content to Sampler only

7) Automation Recording of Instruments/FX parameters on Session View.

8) Mini Mixer View in Arrangement (the bottom zone of Live we use to see clips or instruments and effects, could be used to have a mini mixer (Volume, Sends, Pan) instead and it has to be re-sizable like it is today. Do not need any sophistication like the main Mixer View (aka Session View) for example a clip indicator instead of a complete meter).

9) Ability to set an effect on a track to be automatically selected when track is selected.
What I am trying to have here is the ability to select a track with an EQ and have it selected and mapped by default to a specific controller so that EQ a track is easier

10) Full Double monitor support

my 2 cents

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

salanimi

Post by salanimi » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:51 pm

tempus3r wrote:There is also still no way to chop up clips and consolidate them without arrangement view.
chopping up is just "crop clip". But I finally found how I can consolidate all the clips from one track at once (no matter are those midi or audio clips). Freeze track and then "flatten" flatten option comes available only when the track is freezed. If you don't wan't to touch the original track just duplicate it before. :)

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:39 am

-Session view automation.
-Commit midi FX destructively.
-Sidechain any parameter, like in Reaper.
-Key/Midi map presets.
-Assignable LFOs and envelopes [and envelope generators].
-Looper layers.
-Looper time stretch/pitch.

CuBuLo

Post by CuBuLo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:44 am

I want the ability to reverse sounds, im tired of having to take time to do that on audacity.
Gear: Akai MPD24, Korg nanoKONTROL, Behringer B215XL dj speakers, Korg R3, Novation K-Station.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:12 am

CuBuLo wrote:I want the ability to reverse sounds, im tired of having to take time to do that on audacity.
Maybe what you need is already there. every Clip (Audio) as a Rev Button in the left corner of the sample section.
Press it and your clip will be reversed. Does this solve your problem?
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:35 am

hoffman2k wrote:
I nailed the looks and the functionality so far. The manual is 75% written.
Hopefully I'll have it up by wednesday.
For those who missed our earlier conversations, this device is my piece de resistance as far as Controlling Live goes. I can map 8 buttons + 8 knobs from any device to any clip. Triggering the assigned clip jumps the macros to the ones you want.

I've kept the patching relatively clean, it'll still require some more comments but there are enough fun pieces to take apart. It should be of some help for the patches you guys want. And in Forge's case all it needs is for some features to be removed :)

one word :

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bought MFL last tuesday,i have been totally blown away by stuff like this.
slowly but surely all my Ableton Live dreams are being manifested.

thanks a zillion for this!!!!!!!!

update :
all of a sudden,i got an idea about modifying your patch when i was eating,away from the studio(which is when i get the best ideas) :

- the 8 buttons underneath : make them store up to 8 snapshots of knob positions(for instant switching between different settings)
-create an additional horizontal fader underneath those 8 buttons,to smoothly fade between snapshots.

thanks to N.I.'s Kore 2 soundvariations and Camel Audio's Alchemy performance presets for inspiration.......now all i need to do is learn how to do that......

thank god those Max tutorials are so wonderfully clear and tremendously detailed.

all the best!
Last edited by 33tetragammon on Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

metasymbol

Post by metasymbol » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:54 pm

This is not exactly a FR for 9, but I'm getting afraid that every cool new feature will be M4L based, which makes Live too expensive. I don't like to buy Max, because I'm not a developer and it is too expensive only as a kind of new plugin interface for some FX/instruments. Imagine Steinberg tell you: Buy an expensive Visual VST SDK for using VST....
Live Suite 9|27" i7 iMac late 2010 - 10.9.5|15" i7 MB Pro late 2011 - 10.9.5|Saffire Pro 24 + 14|APC80|A-800PRO|Push|HD-3|FCB1010|UltraNova|KeyLab25|M4U|UMI3|Graphite M8|Launchpad|Guitar Wing|BCR2000|Kontakt|GuitarRig|Reaktor|EZdrummer|Diva|Zebra2|MiniV|MidiGuitar|

luzil

Post by luzil » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:08 pm

-unison effect
-more rack macro knobs (maybe expand gui button from 8 to 16)
-support of automap
-morphing

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:43 pm

A forum that's more usable on my phone.

luzil

Post by luzil » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Angstrom wrote:A forum that's more usable on my phone.
lol, very good, aslong as u cant switch off signatures and their is no OT section this is senseless, ur r probably just scrolling on and on

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:58 pm

Angstrom wrote:A forum that's more usable on my phone.
+1
*** Image GAFM ***