Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bootykowski

Re: Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Post by bootykowski » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:37 am

1. Different (mappable) Start Points in Lives Audio-/MIDI-Clips, to trigger via Keys or Midi, Like the Cue-Points in Traktor
You will have an incredible perfect organized Live/DJ-Set, You can perform more and more improvised!
That would make Ableton Live a real instrument!

This Feature is a favourite Request of many Users since Ableton Live Vers.1 !!!!!

2. Native Time Code Vinyl Support
FUCK SERATO! :twisted:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hdrpbx

Post by hdrpbx » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:42 am

hoffman2k wrote:
hdrpbx wrote: -custom slicing presets (for example i'd like to assing the pitch on all samplers to a macro knob)
That came with the slicing feature. Here's a pack with 25 extra slicing presets: http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Live- ... -of-winter
wow..thanks!!
didnt even know it was allready possible..anyway i still cant figure out how to save my own presets
would you mind to explain to me how to or maybe link me to a tutorial or something so we dont hijack the thread :)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:21 pm

hdrpbx wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
hdrpbx wrote: -custom slicing presets (for example i'd like to assing the pitch on all samplers to a macro knob)
That came with the slicing feature. Here's a pack with 25 extra slicing presets: http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Live- ... -of-winter
wow..thanks!!
didnt even know it was allready possible..anyway i still cant figure out how to save my own presets
would you mind to explain to me how to or maybe link me to a tutorial or something so we dont hijack the thread :)
http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Artic ... lt-presets

hdrpbx

Post by hdrpbx » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:33 pm

awesome!!..thanks, easier than i tought!

carlosboisset

Post by carlosboisset » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:11 pm

I would like to see a "studio mode" in which audio quality is on top of cpu performace. I hope I am no the only one using Live for studio production.

Another cool feature could be Ableton Live vst, allowing you to run ableton features and libraries inside another DAWs without having to mess around with rewire

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:08 pm

carlosboisset wrote:I would like to see a "studio mode" in which audio quality is on top of cpu performace. I hope I am no the only one using Live for studio production.

Another cool feature could be Ableton Live vst, allowing you to run ableton features and libraries inside another DAWs without having to mess around with rewire

pssttt.. ableton live sounds perfect... its just biased listening and psycho acoustics that gives some people the illusion that other DAW´s might sound better.. ups.. cut that... sound different of cause,
.. you know.. a different pan law can alter the expirianced sound quality drastical...
All DAW´s sound the same, and you cant make a filet from meatloaf anymore 8)
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:34 pm

carlosboisset wrote:I would like to see a "studio mode" in which audio quality is on top of cpu performace. I hope I am no the only one using Live for studio production.

+ 100 for Studio mode though,one that doesn't rape the CPU like live currently does
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

carlosboisset

Post by carlosboisset » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:12 pm

I totally agree that ableton sounds perfect. At least when the CPU is less that 60% (on ableton cpu meter), but beyond that the sound gets messy. I remmember the first time I ran Live, I was impressed by the fact that no matter what you did it continue playing. But nowadays the use I am giving to the program is just for studio composition and I am never sure about the sound quality until I move the project into cubase and suddennly the sound becomes brilliant by comparision. I think Its a fact that ableton use different techniques like downsampling anb bit reduction in order to prevent the program to stop playing, and for live performance is a great feature, but absolutely not desirable in a studio. I really prefer Ableton telling me that is not capable of process the audio in real time to just realize about it when the sound becomes terrible.

Btw, my opinion is that the eq can really be improved and it would be nice to have it integrated in every channel instead of having to load the plug in.

Can somebody explain me why the Ableton CPU meter does not reflect the actual CPU overload on the system?

Cheers

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 pm

carlosboisset wrote:I think Its a fact that ableton use different techniques like downsampling anb bit reduction in order to prevent the program to stop playing, and for live performance is a great feature, but absolutely not desirable in a studio.
er, nope.
I think that's not a fact. You really think it downsamples and bitreduces on the fly to maintain playback? That would never work, what if a user suddenly demands massive polyphony from a Keith Emerson chordal forearm smash, what then? A sudden change to 8 bit 22khz output? Nope.

Live uses a 64 bit internal signal path, until it gets to the output stage which is then output at whatever your soundcard is set to. It doesn't dynamically flip about .

swett

Post by swett » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 am

zooming shortcuts

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:16 am

The ability to warp MIDI would be awesome. Say you play a perfect 1-bar piano/synth fill, but you play it too fast and it sounds out of place, but the timing of the notes relative to each other is perfect.

Set a warp point at the beginning and end of the phrase, drag the end of the phrase to the end of the bar, and voila! All note timings change proportionately to one another, so as to put the phrase in time.

luddy

Post by luddy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:11 am

agent314 wrote:The ability to warp MIDI would be awesome. Say you play a perfect 1-bar piano/synth fill, but you play it too fast and it sounds out of place, but the timing of the notes relative to each other is perfect.

Set a warp point at the beginning and end of the phrase, drag the end of the phrase to the end of the bar, and voila! All note timings change proportionately to one another, so as to put the phrase in time.
It's already there! In the piano roll, select a time span / clump of notes, right-click and select "Stretch Notes". Two warp-like thingys will appear, you can move them around like warp markers.

-Luddy

carlosboisset

Post by carlosboisset » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:17 am

Angstrom wrote:
carlosboisset wrote:I think Its a fact that ableton use different techniques like downsampling anb bit reduction in order to prevent the program to stop playing, and for live performance is a great feature, but absolutely not desirable in a studio.
er, nope.
I think that's not a fact. You really think it downsamples and bitreduces on the fly to maintain playback? That would never work, what if a user suddenly demands massive polyphony from a Keith Emerson chordal forearm smash, what then? A sudden change to 8 bit 22khz output? Nope.

Live uses a 64 bit internal signal path, until it gets to the output stage which is then output at whatever your soundcard is set to. It doesn't dynamically flip about .

Am I the only one that hear artifacts when the CPU load is high? I am now considering to go to the ear doctor (or maybe to a mental institution)

Cheers!

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:21 am

i'd really like to process file offline

copong

Post by copong » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Shadow clips like in cubase!!