Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbrown46

Re: Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Post by rbrown46 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:34 pm

Roughly in order of importance:

1- Add delay compensated automation. Pretty essential as far as I'm concerned.
2- Add tension curves to automation, numerical value entry for breakpoints, snap to grid for breakpoints.
3- The ability to freeze a single clip and it's plugins (including MIDI clips), versus freezing the entire track. Freeze, duplicate, flatten takes forever...especially when I'm only concerned with one short clip. Also important: make the buffer size that is used for the freeze configurable in the preferences or in Options.txt. I'd like to have higher automation accuracy when freezing than is possible in real-time. Check out Reaper's ability to render takes - it is pretty mind blowing.
4- Clip envelopes, when automating a plugin parameter, need to be configurable to either bipolar or unipolar. This would allow automation to values above the current value, instead of just beneath (which is how it is currently).
5- The ability to freeze tracks with sidechains and other routing.
6- Nested groups.
7- Control over clip placement, sample path, etc. in the arrange view from the M4L API.

Screw working on included instruments and effects. That is what plugins are for.
Last edited by rbrown46 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:43 pm

^^^^^^^^
Would somebody in Berlin please call this guy and hire him!
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:37 pm

rbrown46 wrote:Roughly in order of importance:

2- Add tension curves to automation, numerical value entry for breakpoints, snap to grid for breakpoints.
5- Nested groups.
+1
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:28 am

rbrown46 wrote: 4- The ability to freeze tracks with sidechains and other routing.
+1
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

fx23

Post by fx23 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:12 am

1) rec any automation in session view clips_ insane lack from v1 would raise workflow in amazing way.

2) native Osc support

3) bezier curves

4) datas/lfo internal indermodulation routing for sidechain/ducking any kind of param

5) still access to fx automations for a grouped track.

6) quantize any parameter

7) multitouch friendly ui

8 ) be able to store/reload any vst params state via numbered pot/swiches.

9) random generators/lfos.

10) grain sampler.

Maxx5600

Post by Maxx5600 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:55 pm

* Better MIDI Clip editing in arrangement view: Toolbar with functions like "split", "combine" etc...
* 64bit Support
* Divide Live devices like Instruments, Midi Effects and Audio Effects in separate tabs

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:12 pm

KrisM wrote:Convince your countrymen over at Access Music to create an instrument for Suite based on the Virus. Call it... anything, I don't care. I just really like the sound of a Virus and have no want for hardware. ;)

My 9 upgrade would be to Suite, then :D

On a much-more-likely-to-happen note, a granular synth would be wicked-awesome. Call it Granular or something to keep it in line with the rest of the Instruments.
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

si.

Post by si. » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:39 am

less gadgetry more reliability... The ability to freeze tracks with sidechains and other routing & nested groups would be nice but I don't think there are many more features that should be added...

Most of the devices posted here can either be made by combining live devices (eg short delay/reverb works as a "stereo widener", sampler can be used as a granular synth, etc, etc) or in m4l... We love things handed to us on a plate tho!

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:04 pm

A splash screen that when you open Live says- Stop constantly requesting features.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:24 am

A chord namer in the MIDI editor that works on a selected set of notes. just drag a box around a collection of notes and see the chord name displayed somewhere.

would be very useful next time a guitarist collaborator asks "what's that chord?", when jamming along with something that I improvised on keyboards.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:22 am

1 A master channel with optionally more than 2 outputs.

William

Post by William » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Something similar to Logic's Quick Swipe Comping

A mono button on each channel

Integration with Euphonix control surfaces
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

IP

Post by IP » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:47 pm

1pauluzz1 wrote:...In addition, a feature that I've seen Voxengo's Span plugin: keeping down cmnd and clicking in the spectrum let's you here just that selected band.. Really really helpful.

edit: wtf ... i clicked "alt" just for fun and guess what... it sets the Q like live's EQ (by moving the mouse Left/Right instead of up/down)!

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:03 am

It's true as some said a way to instance/alias/link clips for all clones like reason5 blocks would be nice,
a clip could have a mark led or other then all clones are linked
to it in arrangment, that's a much better workflow in case of editing back, and to go deeper each
subpart/envelope could be de_instanced for editing variations. All lanes in arrangement are stricly equal to a clip
in session view, so even if complex, that seems a teorically faily doable job to implement as well.
avoid lot of selecting,copy/pasre/errors, much better/faster maintenance.
what, change my main beat and bass 16 recurent bars easily without affecting eventual variations,
that sound a pretty killer worklow add imo. this, and automation in session view.

take some Midi Conrollers--> rec live some audio/midi and automation to SESSION CLIPS(scene)---> cool structute/scene, Bloc transfer to SEQUENCER

---> copy blocks and delink subparts to edit Variations---> wanna change the beat back to session--> edit Block Clips

---> all clones have been updated, while keeping their own subvariations. done/render

wanna rec with a better mic the clip i used 28 times without losing all work done, or change the way it's warped,
change any parameter where slaves hadn't changes to make it sound better, mean with some dedicaced eq/fx, settings,
reflected on all the song.
not to speak about huges possibilities on midi,..

this would really be my dream live way of working.. that damned rec in clips/session first, keep "blocks/clips!!"
original concept back..

if the pb is absolute/relative between SEQ and SESSION for automations, Why not make simply something that
overide to 1 the contol curve in sequencer, then we could record straigt to a clip not to sequencer, the "Modulation", being then
an "Absolute Automation" in tha concerned clip as a workaround if "can't rewrite" live.
then once wanna convert could copy back the "modulation" back to arrangement and benefit for relativity back.
tweak live and rec to clip would be soooooo much better system, really. find something for that.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:39 pm

what crap wishes.. we need a better look of cause.. beside that

1) real grouptracks with sample accurate master edit ability of internal clips inkl. warp and transient markers..
and propper graphical representation in arrange.. we live in 21th cemtury..a little 3d wouldnt hurt.. at least where it helps the overview... this also should include reliable group operation..no glitches please

2) accurate operation.. this includes latency compensation that works..also for automation the precise placement of incoming evets and the display of propper unis in the editors.. no flexible ableton units anymore please.. they was a joke for aome years ..but one cant laugh about them anymore
better syncing esp for ext midiclock but also smpte or via osc.. also with timestamping of clips and lock and recall to time commands like we found on professional audio editors.. thats not for me ..thats fro ableton to pay theier bills..
the fanboy´s soon will be gone...

3) recall of last run.. so prerecording of the midi buffers and arrange recording.. if midi notes get recieved a new midi track is created automatical...but mainly the last arrange raun gets recall able.. either with just overide the old one.. or copying the older one in an alternativ versions memory...

so multiple arrange versions can go with that

3) tactics to handle multiple arrange versions.. like mentioned before but can be also the official supported possebility to open two instances of live and copy paste between them.. worked in earler versions of live but not anymore.. so revelopent please..
should have helpers like set 1 on arrange...

4) digital mixing abilitys by excluding the mixer from the rest of the session... this includes independent mix automation incl. scene recal and propper automation with write disable ,trim aso

5) multiple master channels.. that also can be rendred seperatly.. can go in conjunction with a surround panner.. but also can be used for parrallel processings or other experimental purposes

6) better templates for the dedicated and other controlers.. .and they have to work while beeing rewired...

7) working groove extraction with the aid of the mighty computer.. now we have tp do it all by hand because ableton dont places transient markers on the transients... what is again a joke that is only funny for a few times...
groove quantize is a non deliverd feature in L8.. you can make it work by setting all transient markers by hand..
on the source and the destination files... !!! do that on a 64 bar file please.. than you learn yourself why one needs transients on the transients for groove applikation and not at semi random phantasy positions..

8) propper midi thru..or even an intelligent one.. latency free, or allmost latency free on external instruments..
this also will fix the problems wit the inacurate midi recording when you consider the use of external hardware as a reality in music production

9) instead the max for live trap more internal routing options within live itself like free assignable sidchains to any parameter..and that together with little helper like lfo plug.. envelope folower plug..pitch folower..
what can act as a tuner aswell... and.. an own step editor... why we have to buy expensiv software for such an cheasy stndard feature

10) convolution reverb with some creativ twists... and a dsp cheap early reflection / dispersion plug..

In general the development of live should be like max for live did´nt exsists to not make the negativ results from that implementation any bigger...

in the end of the day max is nothing many people like to deal with during a production..otherwise max standalone would have been a bigger seller.. to force that onto people will kill any ableton life advantage of beeing easy to be operated
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,