Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Philosopher King

Re: Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Post by The Philosopher King » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:59 am

petit nuage wrote:
and of course and ever :STABILITY !
I'm remixing one Track this weekend. It is no exaggeration to say that Ableton has crashed at least 60+ times on me so far. Still I wouldn't use anything else. It's the only DAW that 'speaks my language'.

Memory management seems so poor.

Top of my list.

TheDriller

Post by TheDriller » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:58 pm

All I really want at this point is better resource efficiency.
The difference in cpu and ram usage between Live and (for example) Reaper with the same vst plugins is just shocking.

remute99

Post by remute99 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:28 pm

The Philosopher King wrote:
petit nuage wrote:
and of course and ever :STABILITY !
I'm remixing one Track this weekend. It is no exaggeration to say that Ableton has crashed at least 60+ times on me so far. Still I wouldn't use anything else. It's the only DAW that 'speaks my language'.

Memory management seems so poor.

Top of my list.

This ^^^ Live makes Pro Tools look like a sleek, efficiently coded, well-priced DAW, when just a few years ago it was seen as being a tired old behemoth.
Ableton need a new kid on the block, like BitWig, to kick their arses and get them to up their game and lower their prices.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:08 pm

the ability to see the rack and the piano roll at the same time. Or a piano roll view that takes the space of the session/arrange space. Or a 3 or even 4 way split view of piano roll, rack, session, and arrange view with the ability to resize or hide in any configuration.

maximlee

Post by maximlee » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:45 pm

i do undersand that ableton is a jack of all trade and master of none.... alittle harsh but u get what i mean...lol I come from a producer angle and for me ABLETON falls short in the audio department.. compared to cubase and logic. im a big fan of BT. I saw a lecture by him about time correcting and i would like to be able to time correct my drums, which entails fading the tranients.. time stretchig etc. I moved from cubase to ableton because the work flow is much better as well as automation but now im thinking of moving to logic because when you simply do not have the control over the audio that BT has with logic

many thanks

monk_volcano

Post by monk_volcano » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:51 am

3 things.. (which I'm kind of really surprised haven't been implemented)

1. be able to set playback position from within a clip while in arrange mode. If you're working in fullscreen mode with a midi clip, you have to hit shift+tab and then switch back to pointer tool, and then find out exactly where the clip you're editing is located (this can take a surprising amount of time!). A huge workflow killer!

2. A zoom tool like in every other sequencer I've ever used!! Most sequencer have a shortcut to use it without even switching to it. for ex: hold down alt and right click or whatever.

3. Better transport shortcut controls. We should be able to move the playback position forwards and backwards by the global quantize amount with a shortcut!

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:24 pm

monk_volcano wrote:3 things.. (which I'm kind of really surprised haven't been implemented)

1. be able to set playback position from within a clip while in arrange mode. If you're working in fullscreen mode with a midi clip, you have to hit shift+tab and then switch back to pointer tool, and then find out exactly where the clip you're editing is located (this can take a surprising amount of time!). A huge workflow killer!

2. A zoom tool like in every other sequencer I've ever used!! Most sequencer have a shortcut to use it without even switching to it. for ex: hold down alt and right click or whatever.

3. Better transport shortcut controls. We should be able to move the playback position forwards and backwards by the global quantize amount with a shortcut!
this. especially the bold part. i agree, a real workflow killer. also incredibly annoying.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Khazul wrote:Every mixer channel to have a fx rack like Record's mixer and the pan control to include a width control so that you can get at and see basic mix functions on all channels *without* having to dig around inside tracks chains. An easy way to do this would simply be make the first rack's (instrument, fx or drum) knobs available in a new detachable the mixer view.

Finally that will give Live a really good mixing workflow -actually better even than cubase/logic.

A full mixer view should be accessible on a second monitor with the ability to hide specific channels, thus excluding them also from control surfaces.
I like the idea of a macro section on each mixer channel with knobs that are mappable to parameters in the device chain, They could even work like a controller and follow the blue hand.

But I'd prefer not to have a default Cubase style channel strip with EQ on every channel. I think one of the main reason my recordings sound better in Live than they used to in Cubase is that I don't use any EQ at all unless there is something that definitely needs fixing with EQ. In cubase it's hard to resist tweaking the EQ on every channel, which - in my personal experience, with me at the controls - always ends up making the mix sound worse.

I find I get a much cleaner mix by just letting most things sound as they would naturally.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

cglzzf

Post by cglzzf » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:32 pm

All the features of the world cannot save us from silliness and lack of talent.

- possibility to preview which 3rd party VST plugins are used in each channel of the track before loading it.

It could be useful when we transfer tracks from one computer to another. Everyone is creating his own labyrinth, I know...

Working on some old projects I sometimes find myself searching for the individual crashing plugin that prevents me from loading the track into Live.

This way we would have the option to temporarily remove the suspicious VST plugins and save precious time. :D

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:50 pm

cglzzf wrote:This way we would have the option to temporarily remove the suspicious VST plugins and save precious time. :D
I like it! Kind of an advanced version of Tractions vst system. If a 3rd pary plug crash or create problems, Traction will ask if you would like to temporarly avoid these plugs. At any time you can uncheck each vst from this list.

Also love Tractions full-screen project file browser. Its got 3 tabs: the sequencer, the project browser, and the preferences with custom key mapping. Very nice to have a huge full screen prefs!!

cglzzf

Post by cglzzf » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:13 pm

i) I am looking forward to an Ableton Sampler with rootkey & Loop start/end automation if this is even possible.

- The Ableton Sampler would be the ideal kind of thing if it had those two parameters enabled in an automated process. At the moment, we can only record in a separate audio channel without having the ability for further customization. I had a track where this could lead into some very interesting results of audio manipulation.

ii) Also I dunno if it has been mentioned before, but it would be very cool if we would see the Save function NOT destroying the ability to UNDO, (like it happens in some major 3D applications, sometimes it can save your life from a false movement 8) )