Question about grouping tracks & volume in Ableton 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
db2

Question about grouping tracks & volume in Ableton 8

Post by db2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:09 pm

I've yet to upgrade to ableton 8 but will probably do so in the next week or two. I'm really looking forward to grouping tracks for volume adjustments.

My question is twofold. First off, when you group tracks I understand that you get a group volume control which can raise or lower all of the channels volumes in the group. affecting their actual channel volume sliders?

And my next question, I've heard a lot of information about digital mixing and overloading the invisible mix sum buss which sums the individual signals as they enter the master channel. As I understand it, with your master at unity, if your channels are causing the master channel to overdrive, even turning down the master channel slider to a non-clipping level is pointless as you are overdriving the summing bus before the master channel where all the signals are combined. So I'm wondering, if you take a set of grouped channels and use the group volume slider to lower the volume, are you still technically overloading the group summing bus? In other words does that group channel also have a summing bus which can be overloaded?

Any help is much appreciated!

db2

Re: Question about grouping tracks & volume in Ableton 8

Post by db2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Bump. Can anyone tell me if the group channel has a summing bus that can be overloaded?