ot : RACISM...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

ot : RACISM...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:04 am

still going strong...
:evil:
Last edited by 3dot... on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3dot...

Re: RACISM...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:38 am

how could you ever get used to ????!!!!!
people wanting you DEAD because of your race...
you've got to be kidding...

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:55 am

What I find always unpleasant is how it is 'ingrained' in the minds of the older generation. Not to say there aren't young racists too but I meet less passive racists in my own generation and the younger one than I do in the one above.

It's the throw away comments I always find most disturbing like an aunt or uncle, or worse, your own mum or dad coming back from South east Asia and saying things like, 'oh yes, we had a wonderful time, born to serve the people there, born to serve'

No thought to the economic and social reasons why certain groups behave the way they do, becasue they have to.

This idea that there is some kind of intrinsic difference between humans becasue of their skin colour or country of origin. My Mum thinks black people are good at running because they are intrinsically different to white people. I had to have a long talk with her about the social and economic reasons hwy young black athletes might be restricted to running in order to access college education and the like simply because they don't have the economic means to enter tennis and golf and the white elite sports from which they are essentially excluded for socio-economic reasons.

Last weeks episode of 'Empire of Cricket' following the history of West Indian cricket was a perfect example. Catch it on iplayer if you can a very interesting example of how the black athlete struggled against the white opressor into the 1960s and how the game and their fortunes within it mirrored ezxactly the sopcial, economic and political struggles of the times.

Very interesting.

Another example that tends to get overlooked in this country is football. We are praised for our approach to racism and integration of black players, but where are the players from the Indian sub continent? ...my guess is it is still very very difficult for them to get a foot in the door at recognised football league clubs.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:14 pm

the reasons are complex and although well intentioned and possibly with some merit, I don't think the explanations afforded here are wholly accurate, nor fully encompassing. Then again, I don't think anyone has all the answers, if they did, racism would be a thing of the past.

I can tell you this though - in terms of certain ethnic minorities and soccer/football - a lot of the reason you don't see many people of a minority background is more down to cultural issues, i.e. the game is not popular compared to other sports or activities, and secondly, the game is typically followed by the majority Caucasian population and some other minorities feel intimidated. It's an odd situation - for example, Leicester City (old stadium at least) and Bradford City's stadiums are in the middle of areas heavily populated by immigrant/ethnic minority populations, yet very few of them attend the matches or even go near the stadiums on matchday for the reasons mentioned above. It's a bit of a different situation to everyday racism, football/soccer in the UK has made massive efforts to stamp it out, and while not wholly successful (you can never control the odd bunch of idiots) at least they are facing penalties such as ejection and suspension from the ground, instead of encouraging the BNP and National Front to masquerade as soccer fans and stir up hatred and sign up idiots, as was occurring in th late 70's to mid 80's period.

It's like the Middle East conflict - I don't think it can ever be solved and I don't think anyone can really say they are truly 100% not racist. Everything is a compromise. And being overly politically correct doesn't help either - starting quotas of minorities in job situations etc, we must represent every facet of society, so we need x% of this minority group, x% of that minority group etc, doesn't work - it causes resentment because there are sometimes people appointed based upon being a minority, rather than their actual job performance, and who would want to be appointed by default/out of pity anyway in this situation. Yes, discrimination has prevented many good people from minority backgrounds getting positions they deserve, but these are proud people who would not wanted to get an appointment by default either.

Anti-racism initiatives over the past 15-20 years have led to a generally more tolerant society in most of the developed countries in the World, IMHO, even if there is some way to go and some discrimination exists. In areas where the most conflict occurs is typically areas where unemployment is high, remedying the unemployment situation has as much of a positive effect on racial tensions as anything else.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:00 pm

UKRuss wrote:What I find always unpleasant is how it is 'ingrained' in the minds of the older generation. Not to say there aren't young racists too but I meet less passive racists in my own generation and the younger one than I do in the one above.

It's the throw away comments I always find most disturbing like an aunt or uncle, or worse, your own mum or dad coming back from South east Asia and saying things like, 'oh yes, we had a wonderful time, born to serve the people there, born to serve'
it's always the older generations 'teaching' the younger ones why and how to hate...
it's like bad weeds... you need to find the root and pull it out...
I beleive hating is easy...
and the socio-economic issue is the catalyst for spreading the hate...
when a man can't feed himself/his family...
no matter the reason... his brain turns to the dark side..
he becomes an easy person to influence...
because what has he got to lose?!...

same goes the other way around... minorities usually struggle in their places of residence...
this isolation causes them to be less reliant ...and try and fend for themselves..
not trusting the 'other'...

that being said..
even if we were to live in an utopian world where everyone 'holds their own'...
it would still be there... in some shape or form...

I guess it's the whole tribal mentality that's still within us...
and where people are short sighted they cannot see past that...

possible solutions...
the Internet can be used to educate...and circumvent the 'bad influence'...
something that was virtually impossible until just recently...

and we have to make MANY MANY interacial babies...
(their much pretier and smarter anyways...)

ONLY LOVE CAN HELP THIS WORLD...

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:18 pm

I think Leeds is right in some areas, the western world has changed dramatically in terms of its outlook.

But sometimes I feel the efforts and incentives just hide the truth and overt racism lurks just below the surface of an otherwise reasonable society.

See the rise of the BNP as soon as things get a little tricky in the UK?

Disgraceful, but it happens, exactly for the reasons you state ...

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:29 pm

UKRuss wrote:But sometimes I feel the efforts and incentives just hide the truth and overt racism lurks just below the surface of an otherwise reasonable society.
Exactly. It totally disgusts me when people lose their cool, then suddenly everything drops down to the lowest common denominator and some wildly racist generalization flies out of their mouths. It lurks, unfortunately, in young and old ime.
Image Image

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Racism is for the uneducated.

Thank goodness I'm white and therefore educated.

oh relax, it's a joke. But seriously, racism is for the uneducated. Also seriously, I am white. Again, seriously, I am somewhat educated.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'll be the first to admit that Fairies Wear Boots and all. HOWEVER, there is a lot of ground to be covered in the realm of what is sometimes mistakingly referred to as "racism"

Hitler, The KKK, White Supremacists and Muslim extremists engaged/e in "racism".

Being intolerant in a vocal and yet not violent manner, toward those who infiltrate and take advantage of your country just to escape their own bullshit mess however, is something altogether different.

3dot..., when you state that someone wants to kill you because of your race, please clarify your situation. Is this a national issue or has someone personally singled you out?

There is a HUGE difference between the different motives for "hate". A person of course can either be (a) brainwashed, or (b) brainwashed, to hate whatever. But what are the reasons?

There is positively no justification for a desire to eliminate anyone via "hate", but there are reasons. Those reasons are what must be identified and eradicated.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:57 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:Being intolerant in a vocal and yet not violent manner, toward those who infiltrate and take advantage of your country just to escape their own bullshit mess however, is something altogether different.

Any examples?

Sounds like the thin end of the wedge

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:13 pm

jimmynitcher wrote:
DrXparaMental wrote:Being intolerant in a vocal and yet not violent manner, toward those who infiltrate and take advantage of your country just to escape their own bullshit mess however, is something altogether different.

Any examples?

Sure, how about the illegal immigration issue in the united states for starters? There is positively NO thin end of the wedge. It's black and white. If you don't pay taxes, are not on a legitimate visa and are otherwise unaccounted for, GET THE FUCK OUT (no matter what race they are) because I am tired of supporting their ass.

Don't tell me because I don't feel like supporting a bunch of uneducated third world country vagrants that I am a racist. This ain't no flop house my man, and there is NO free ride.

If you haven't made it to the point in this life where you pay taxes (and not just get a refund), you vote and you support others as well as yourself, you wouldn't have a clue, nor would I expect you to.

Intolerance is assuredly justified as long as it's qualified with hard logic. You should only get out, what you put in. Claiming that you do a bunch of jobs that no one else is willing to is an excuse I am sick to death of hearing. Who did the jobs prior?

Pay the same price that our forefathers did. Fight your own battles and stop depending on us to bail your ass out when you don;t have the balls to pay the price that we already have.

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Free your mind and the rest will follow. Be colour blind, don't be so shallow. (En Vogue).

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:03 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:
jimmynitcher wrote:

Any examples?

Sure, how about the illegal immigration issue in the united states for starters? There is positively NO thin end of the wedge. It's black and white. If you don't pay taxes, are not on a legitimate visa and are otherwise unaccounted for, GET THE FUCK OUT (no matter what race they are) because I am tired of supporting their ass.

Don't tell me because I don't feel like supporting a bunch of uneducated third world country vagrants that I am a racist. This ain't no flop house my man, and there is NO free ride.

If you haven't made it to the point in this life where you pay taxes (and not just get a refund), you vote and you support others as well as yourself, you wouldn't have a clue, nor would I expect you to.

Intolerance is assuredly justified as long as it's qualified with hard logic. You should only get out, what you put in. Claiming that you do a bunch of jobs that no one else is willing to is an excuse I am sick to death of hearing. Who did the jobs prior?

Pay the same price that our forefathers did. Fight your own battles and stop depending on us to bail your ass out when you don;t have the balls to pay the price that we already have.
The United States is built on "uneducated third world country vagrants". Your forefathers were immigrants and farmhands.
What is the price you have paid, which these immigrants don't "have the balls to"? These are immigrants who are probably better educated than you, and have had "the balls" to risk everything on a new life somewhere else. Its not as though they do it on a whim.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:04 pm

i hate everybody.

jsg4z

Post by jsg4z » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:14 pm

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally. -W C Fields