Change Overall Volume after volume automation?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JoshR

Change Overall Volume after volume automation?

Post by JoshR » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:33 pm

So, I draw some volume changes in arrangement view. I realize that the entire track needs to be raised or lowered a few dbs. Is there any way to change the overall volume while maintaining the automation? I don't want to delete or override the automation...

Thanks!

-J

nbinder

Re: Change Overall Volume after volume automation?

Post by nbinder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:40 pm

Utility plugin.

JoshR

Post by JoshR » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Is there no way just to raise a fader and save that change, or have it override the total volume? I'm used to selecting the whole track in arrangement view, then raising the volume, but was hoping for a quick/easy solution...

Thanks. Maybe Utility is the best option.

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:33 pm

No, there is unfortunately no way.
What a lot of people do is put Utility on first and automate that, so that they can use the fader for overall volume.

Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Create a group track with just the one track. Then adjust the fader for the group and the internal automation will be preserved.
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

JoshR

Post by JoshR » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:32 pm

Aha. I like the group track idea. Thanks all for the help.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:28 pm

It should be also possible to select the automation envelope over the whole timeline and drag it up/downwards. The drawback is that you will most probably also move it in the x direction.

I personally prefer to use a utility plugin for that purpose. Groups consisting from only one channel confuse me and dragging the whole envelope is way to buggy. If only there was a "lock x" function....

JoshR

Post by JoshR » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:29 pm

That's what I've been doing but it's a pain, and buggy, as you say.
Utility always baffled me, but maybe it's time to broaden my horizons a bit...

db2

Post by db2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:39 am

Question on the group track solution. Say you've got a few channels in a group, and together they are overdriving the group channel/fader. I'm assuming that even if you lower the group fader the summing bus for the group is still overloading, i.e. you should still lower the volumes on the individual channels in the group?

Also, in a group can you do that (lower the groups actual channel faders rather then the group fader)? I'm about to buy Ableton 8 but haven't yet.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:38 am

db2 wrote:Question on the group track solution. Say you've got a few channels in a group, and together they are overdriving the group channel/fader. I'm assuming that even if you lower the group fader the summing bus for the group is still overloading, i.e. you should still lower the volumes on the individual channels in the group?

Also, in a group can you do that (lower the groups actual channel faders rather then the group fader)? I'm about to buy Ableton 8 but haven't yet.
you can do that now in 8 - select various channels and lower the faders simultaneously.

Channels summing into over 0 dB shouldn't be a problem as long as your master is not going over 0 db.