I saw a 'jumper' today

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

I saw a 'jumper' today

Post by gjm » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 am

I was driving south on Hwy 1, just past Auckland city and I saw a person hanging of the side of the overpass, (exit 430 Kyber Pass for you locals) about 6m/20ft away from the safety of the embankment, about 2m from the outside lane of traffic. Definitely not a maintenance worker. As my wife was speaking to emergency services they started receiving other calls. I cringed. Makes me sad. Only 3 weeks ago we buried my cousin who took his life. :(
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Johnisfaster

Re: I saw a 'jumper' today

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:14 am

maybe it was a tagger?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:21 am

Johnisfaster wrote:maybe it was a tagger?
Could have been, but it was raining and the person was wearing a dress. Not appropriate weather or attire for taggers.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:41 am

agreed
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:45 am

Sorry mate.

I have had both a friend and a relative and there is nothing that helps it make sense.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:46 am

speaking of suicide, you know whats always pissed me off? that old saying "suicide is the most selfish thing a person could do, they aren't even thinking about their families"

thats a load of blind fucking unempathetic bullshit, people gotta understand that others are hurting deeply and they didn't do it to be selfish they did it cause they couldn't take it. some of these people even have mental instabilities. selfish my ass. and "they aren't even thinking about their families" well, maybe their families hated them. or maybe junior called dad an asshole and ran away and never calls anymore.

my point is I feel for people in that situation, I was close at one point in my life but never close enough to try thank God. people should pull their heads out of their asses and try to see where someone is coming from.

sorry, rant over.

realsurreal

Post by realsurreal » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:11 am

Johnisfaster wrote:my point is I feel for people in that situation
I agree with you, if you've ever been in the depths of a hard depression even if not suicidal it's fucking hard to think straight im not surprised people do this.
Sucks for the loved ones of course but you really feel hopeless I know Ive been pretty rough before and nobody could pull me out of it just time. Hope they made it ok!

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 am

contakt321 wrote:Sorry mate.

I have had both a friend and a relative and there is nothing that helps it make sense.
Thanks. In my cousins case, he was our 'golden boy' from the generation. Out of the blue, total shock.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:18 am

realsurreal wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:my point is I feel for people in that situation
I agree with you, if you've ever been in the depths of a hard depression even if not suicidal it's fucking hard to think straight im not surprised people do this.
Sucks for the loved ones of course but you really feel hopeless I know Ive been pretty rough before and nobody could pull me out of it just time. Hope they made it ok!
+1. I've seen some pretty dark days myself and it makes it easier to empathize. There is one person I know right now that I'm just a bit concerned for. Problem is its friggin hard to talk sensibly with someone who is not thinking straight.

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:33 am

suicide is never the answer.
at the very least there's other people who want to live who can't,
why not try and make their lives better?
???

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:34 am

i think that some ppl tend to think that the world would benefit from the person taking his/her own life, so i think that the person taking his/her life might even do it for the benefit of others. so i think its a pretty harsh thing to say when calling someone selfish for taking their life
MBP - Ultralite MK3 - Genelec 8020 & 8030 - BCR2000 - padKONTROL - NordRack 2

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:09 am

Silence wrote:i think that some ppl tend to think that the world would benefit from the person taking his/her own life, so i think that the person taking his/her life might even do it for the benefit of others. so i think its a pretty harsh thing to say when calling someone selfish for taking their life
Right on.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

robfoster

Post by robfoster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:16 am

My brother ended it all when i was 19, twenty years ago, i still wonder why till this day, you cant contemplate what's going through peoples minds when they do this, all the hurt they leave behind them is the least of there worries im sure.

Time for a beer i think :wink:
Lion 10.7.2
Mac Mini 2.4Ghz
Ableton live 8.26
Logic pro 9.15

My Website

danzel

Post by danzel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:40 am

:( sorry to hear this..
a year ago to this day i went to the funeral of one of my best mates who took his own life.
its a rollercoaster of emotions and leaves such a mess, and is ultimately just really sad.
keep a hold people

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:54 pm

My good friend works for the Chicago Transit Authority. Wednesday, he had to scrape a 20 year old off the pavement 5 minutes after he jumped off one of the L-station canopies. 20 years old!

I've been "there" myself. I got through by telling myself: "This too shall pass"

It always does. You just have to hold on. Time does heal all.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"