Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Saxer
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: Frankfurt/Germany

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Saxer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:48 am

make the matrix buttons touch sensitive in V2.
that will help when max4live comes out.

mersault
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:49 am

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by mersault » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:50 am

I agree with you Jacqueslacouth - that's the point I'm trying to make. Its just completely irritating when somebody like this has to jump into somebody else's discussion just to try to shoot it down. I've never done that. I agreed with the conversation and the original poster so I added to it. If you're not into what's being said - then why post anything at all? Nothing better to do? I'm not sure why this guy (kid?) has to tell us that our opinion/suggestion is "wrong".

I look at these forums sometimes, but rarely post. I often see these condescending types. They usually have tons of posts - though they actually say (and do) very little. I just couldn't bite my tongue on this one.

Jacqueslacouth, its cool that you took a moment to write that.

Johnisfaster, my point is that in a live situation, and only in a live situation - it would be useful - not at all in the studio (it would be useless to me as well considering it would rule out protools). I have soundcards, but yes - one less thing to bring on tour could be nice. One less thing to go wrong, to carry, to pack, to plug in. Having a soundcard f**k up on you at a show S U C K S. It once happened on live radio - terrible. If these proposed outputs were there, they wouldn't be the only option anyway. Another soundcard would still be an option. Are we completely wrong for wanting the option?

...and its not only plugging in two machines - if you're using other equipment as well.

Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:09 am

my point is that 9 people out of 10 want to choose the details of their audio device, which means 9 people out of 10 would more than likely be unhappy with the details of the built in apc-40 audio I/O and therefor be kinda pissed they had to spend an extra $300+USD to get an audio device they don't want.

I just watched a short documentary on the band YES who talked about how many hours it took to set up their instruments before each show. hours is the keyword there.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Jacqueslacouth
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:30 am
Location: Australia

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:34 am

mersault wrote: Jacqueslacouth, its cool that you took a moment to write that.
Feeling the love bro, and I am just a nervous old punk looking to rebirth the glory days. I mean lets face it guys, I thought I was going to explode with trouser joy when I bought my first Marshall amp, but aside from all the wank, I reckon guitar amp pro in Logic seriously kicked its ass. But will I ever convince the fan boys? I dunno, I still reckon, if you love what you do with music, great...if it is only your Mum that loves it, great, and if the whole fucking world thinks you suck but you get some measure of happiness out of doing your thang....then that is ultra cool too....

ya dig????

Love to all

EddieJ
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by EddieJ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:31 am

mersault wrote:Really? So you would like to use your many inputs/preamps with the apc40 in a live performance. Go ahead and explain... How many people using the APC40 IN LIVE SITUATIONS will be using multiple outs and multiple preamps? Perhaps a few, but not many. And for that matter, how are you planning to use the APC40 in live performances - not as a DJ?
I didn't think the APC40 was aimed at DJ's. I thought it was aimed at Live PA artists- including those who like to use Live as their mixer and sequencer with live synths- like me. I'm set up for 13 inputs (four multitimbral synths and one mic for now). I fully intend to bring the synths live. I've always brought all my synths with me when I played live. I like having the knobs to twist- much better than sampling all my riffs and playing through a single stereo out. I'm glad the APC40 didn't come with an audio interface or a midi interface to jack the price. I don't need a stereo sound hole.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24153
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:01 pm

mersault wrote:I agree with you Jacqueslacouth - that's the point I'm trying to make. Its just completely irritating when somebody like this has to jump into somebody else's discussion just to try to shoot it down. I've never done that. I agreed with the conversation and the original poster so I added to it. If you're not into what's being said - then why post anything at all? Nothing better to do? I'm not sure why this guy (kid?) has to tell us that our opinion/suggestion is "wrong".

I look at these forums sometimes, but rarely post. I often see these condescending types. They usually have tons of posts - though they actually say (and do) very little. I just couldn't bite my tongue on this one.

Jacqueslacouth, its cool that you took a moment to write that.

Johnisfaster, my point is that in a live situation, and only in a live situation - it would be useful - not at all in the studio (it would be useless to me as well considering it would rule out protools). I have soundcards, but yes - one less thing to bring on tour could be nice. One less thing to go wrong, to carry, to pack, to plug in. Having a soundcard f**k up on you at a show S U C K S. It once happened on live radio - terrible. If these proposed outputs were there, they wouldn't be the only option anyway. Another soundcard would still be an option. Are we completely wrong for wanting the option?

...and its not only plugging in two machines - if you're using other equipment as well.
total hypocrite.

you're the one starting and continuing to throw condescending posts at other people, judging posters you don't have a clue about. you are an asshole from the getgo. you have a HUGE ago, look at how many times you desperately try to impress people. not to mention you've got some hangup about post count, you're fucking creepy. in fact you're the one censoring ME by playing anti-high post counter vigilante. you want to judge MY participation here? what about yours asshole? I get more people in 2 days than you have posts. I know a thing or two about this shit douchebag, don't pretend that you know me. fuck your bullshit experience, I could give a shit. DJs are retards when it comes to live experiences so fucking what, you play other peoples' music, I'm not impressed. DJs are the lowest rung on the musical talent scale, name something lower, try it.

in every aspect of gear, the "all in one" solution is retarded. everyone works differently and it's much more flexible to be able to pick and choose your gear. plus if one piece breaks you don't lose the whole thing.

on the flip side Open Labs did sell a few Nekos, but by and large they're a joke for this very reason.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

squelcht
Posts: 1897
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:38 am

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by squelcht » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Tone Deft wrote:DJs are retards when it comes to live experiences so fucking what, you play other peoples' music, I'm not impressed. DJs are the lowest rung on the musical talent scale, name something lower, try it.
+1

How does these APC topics always go back to a damn "audio interface addition"? Deja f@#king vu... It would be a stupid decision on Akai's end to incorporate the two... IMO I don't think they'll release a V2---However velocity sensitive pads & visual display screens as found on the Remote SL models would be a nice addition. Personally I'd rather have a Novation Remote controller w/ a grid matrix over a APC. I'd find it more rewarding to fund Novation rather Akai...

Tone Deft
Posts: 24153
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:36 pm

before it gets totally out of control, ability levels of DJs can vary wildly. from the wedding DJ to QBert.

yeah, it is weird that this is the 2nd thread on this, nobody mentioned sticking a sound card in a BCR or a Lemur.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hoffman2k
Posts: 14718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Tone Deft wrote:before it gets totally out of control, ability levels of DJs can vary wildly. from the wedding DJ to QBert.

yeah, it is weird that this is the 2nd thread on this, nobody mentioned sticking a sound card in a BCR or a Lemur.
:lol:

And if that wedding DJ is Hambone1, the curve gets completely out of control.

mersault
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:49 am

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by mersault » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:21 pm

DJs are retards when it comes to live experiences so fucking what, you play other peoples' music, I'm not impressed. DJs are the lowest rung on the musical talent scale, name something lower, try it.
NO, that's not at all what I do. You know nothing about me either. Nor do you know about my ego (or "ago" for that matter). How am I trying to impress anybody here? - because I'm referring to experiences? ...to justify an opinion. Its nothing impressive at all, that's just what many people on here do - make music, perform, etc. Almost everybody I know does so and nobody is impressed by it. What else should I talk about?

Amon Tobin, Flying Lotus, J Dilla, The Bug, Aphex Twin, - all perform (performed) DJ sets. That's what I'm referring to. I could name more and I could easily refer to several artists who are "lower" and far less significant.

A DJ isn't only somebody who spins radio hits at peoples' weddings. Why would that kind of DJ use Live OR an APC40 anyhow? Maybe you ought to know who you're insulting.

Maybe you disagree with the suggestion, but you don't need to go out of your way to condescend to people on here or insult them. Maybe just explain why it wouldn't work for you in your situation. Refraining from posting is also an option.

You can respond, but I'm done with this.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24153
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:25 pm

mersault wrote:
DJs are retards when it comes to live experiences so fucking what, you play other peoples' music, I'm not impressed. DJs are the lowest rung on the musical talent scale, name something lower, try it.
NO, that's not at all what I do. You know nothing about me either. Nor do you know about my ego (or "ago" for that matter). How am I trying to impress anybody here? - because I'm referring to experiences? ...to justify an opinion. Its nothing impressive at all, that's just what many people on here do - make music, perform, etc. Almost everybody I know does so and nobody is impressed by it. What else should I talk about?

Amon Tobin, Flying Lotus, J Dilla, The Bug, Aphex Twin, - all perform (performed) DJ sets. That's what I'm referring to. I could name more and I could easily refer to several artists who are "lower" and far less significant.

A DJ isn't only somebody who spins radio hits at peoples' weddings. Why would that kind of DJ use Live OR an APC40 anyhow? Maybe you ought to know who you're insulting.

Maybe you disagree with the suggestion, but you don't need to go out of your way to condescend to people on here or insult them. Maybe just explain why it wouldn't work for you in your situation. Refraining from posting is also an option.

You can respond, but I'm done with this.
quoted for posterity.

you took a thread about putting a sound card into an APC and turned it into a flame war simply based on my post count and contrarian viewpoint. you should be ashamed and embarrassed.

as for responding to your post, I did before you hit the submit button.

utter failure.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

john gordon
Posts: 2680
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:24 am
Location: Delaware

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by john gordon » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
mersault wrote:
DJs are retards when it comes to live experiences so fucking what, you play other peoples' music, I'm not impressed. DJs are the lowest rung on the musical talent scale, name something lower, try it.
NO, that's not at all what I do. You know nothing about me either. Nor do you know about my ego (or "ago" for that matter). How am I trying to impress anybody here? - because I'm referring to experiences? ...to justify an opinion. Its nothing impressive at all, that's just what many people on here do - make music, perform, etc. Almost everybody I know does so and nobody is impressed by it. What else should I talk about?

Amon Tobin, Flying Lotus, J Dilla, The Bug, Aphex Twin, - all perform (performed) DJ sets. That's what I'm referring to. I could name more and I could easily refer to several artists who are "lower" and far less significant.

A DJ isn't only somebody who spins radio hits at peoples' weddings. Why would that kind of DJ use Live OR an APC40 anyhow? Maybe you ought to know who you're insulting.

Maybe you disagree with the suggestion, but you don't need to go out of your way to condescend to people on here or insult them. Maybe just explain why it wouldn't work for you in your situation. Refraining from posting is also an option.

You can respond, but I'm done with this.
quoted for posterity.

you took a thread about putting a sound card into an APC and turned it into a flame war simply based on my post count and contrarian viewpoint. you should be ashamed and embarrassed.

as for responding to your post, I did before you hit the submit button.

utter failure.
ive seen tone deft beat the shit out of 6 guys at once just for trying to steal his kaoscillator(or however you spell that stupid fucking toy) so be careful the man is crazy!!!

The Cube
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:20 pm
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Contact:

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by The Cube » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Guys shut it about the damn audio interface.

The only thing the APC needs is to a more studio-friendly version with touch sensitive flying-*uckin-faders be made.

I have a Metric Halo ULN-8 audio interface so I dont need any built in one thanks. Other than flying faders I only need the track control knobs to be put in line for each track on the unit. another set of at least 8 knobs for a second device control (ability to lock them to a specific device) would be a great add on as well.

That would make me quit from buying a Euphonix MC Control/Mix. If those guys put a clip matrix in their next version of the artist series and ableton gets into the EuCon bandwagon, then its bye bye APC40 for me. Damn the Metric Halo MIO console is EuCon compatible so i guess this is a tough one for me hehehe.

my 326324797428629342347 Dollars.

peace
If you think it's too repetitive, then you're not listening.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24153
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:47 pm

I think it's a GREAT idea. one USB cable, one power cable.

just make it another separate unit at $500 more, or hit the $1k price point. of course it'll be 2300 Euros 'cause that's the way the cookie bounces.

partner with a quality sound card maker. if the latency was bad or pre-amps suck it wouldn't be worth the money. it's wide enough for a good number of I/Os. don't other DAWs have similar products? I don't know, I'm a Live whore.

I don't like taking my multi-input sound card to peoples' house to play (closest I get to playing out) because I have to rewire my shit when I get back, until then the studio's a wreck. if I could just take the APC it'd be so much easier.


BRILLIANT!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Moosh
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:54 pm

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Moosh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
mersault wrote:So you would like to use your many inputs/preamps with the apc40 in a live performance.

this part directed at the OP: do you really honestly not have enough motivation to play a live show that you'd not be willing to plug in TWO whole machines?

FIRST: I had no idea that a simple thread would result in various hostile posts. Really, do we take ourselves that seriously?

SECOND: to Johnisfaster - this is not a question about motivation, it's a question about convenience.

My point is that it would be more convenient to have a unit that almost goes the whole distance to actually go there.

And more realistically, my motivation depends on the gig. If I got booked at Pacha yes I'd haul my interface separately. If I'm playing as a guest at a weekly at a bar, maybe not. If it's at a friend's party, most certainly not.

THIRD: a lot of people complain about the cost. Gear costs money - always has and will. In my case, I've spent quite a lot on Ableton itself (and it's various upgrades, etc.). I try to buy my gear wisely (which I don't always succeed at) - and based on my budget, and what I am looking for, this makes perfect sense for me. The argument that adding an interface or expansion is a bad idea because of $$ is weak. Sure Akai might want to introduce a standard and premium level or the expansion, but seriously a) not all of us are broke, and b) even if we are, we might prioritize this as something we want/need and would be willing to pay for it

M
MacBook Pro 2.14 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 4G RAM | Live 8 | Apogee Duet | Access Virus TI Polar | Access Virus TI Snow | Novation Remote Zero SL | Novation Nocturn | Novation Supernova | Atmosphere

http://www.loopscious.com

Post Reply