Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:08 pm

[quote="MooshSECOND: to Johnisfaster - this is not a question about motivation, it's a question about convenience.
[/quote]

and motivation is what we use to overcome lack of convenience.

price is a weak argument? not when it's a feature almost no one wants. Like I said before; everyone has their own very specific needs for an audio I/O device, if akai adds one to the apc-40 they are 100% gaurunteed to disappoint 50% of their customers.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:15 pm

so make two versions, one with a soundcard, one without.

they you get a Mac and an APC w/sound card for standardized hardware for Live.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:25 pm

i want the apc40 to have a beer cooler built in to it.

why don't we just find a way to build a computer, interface, and controller into one unit. let's make it hardly portable and we'll sell it for a couple of thousand more than the three items would be separately. and then so we can make more money off of it, we'll install Live 7 for an extra $1000. we can call this monstrosity DBeat. what do you guys think of that?

let's just keep the apc40 what it is and call it a day. Ableton just needs to fix a few things with the way it controls Live's effects and that's it. oh and maybe put some knobs with leds in lieu of the faders.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Tone Deft wrote:so make two versions, one with a soundcard, one without.

call it the APC40 AI??? Akai Numark Alesis, i'll call you to let you know where to mail my check.

Jordan Vesteyo

Post by Jordan Vesteyo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:49 am

By the time AKAI get done adding the audio interface, RGB LEDs, velocity sensitive pads, motorized faders and scribble strips...... it will be $1200 and people will yip about ridiculous and greedy AKAI and Ableton are. They packed a lot of power and usability into this controller at a pretty reasonable price, hats off to AKAI for doing this. I love mine. I also own a Mackie Control and love it for the studio, it still is a rockin' controller for Live, the APC though gives me the hardware extension for Live, and that, especially for performance is wonderful.
24in Imac/MBPro UNibody, Ableton Live 8 Suite ,Logic Pro 8, Liquid Mix,

Moosh

Post by Moosh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:57 am

Johnisfaster wrote:[quote="MooshSECOND: to Johnisfaster - this is not a question about motivation, it's a question about convenience.

and motivation is what we use to overcome lack of convenience.

price is a weak argument? not when it's a feature almost no one wants. Like I said before; everyone has their own very specific needs for an audio I/O device, if akai adds one to the apc-40 they are 100% gaurunteed to disappoint 50% of their customers.
Agreed, motivation is what we use to overcome lack of convenience. If my primary goal in life was to be a performing artist, then maybe I'd think differently. I've come from 20+ years of electronic music, from having a large studio w/lots of outboard gear, to ditching it all and going all software, to now having a balanced bit of both.

Today, I am a consumer that would pay extra money for having one less device to carry. Is that wrong? Does that make me a bad person? Does it make me and those that agree with me wrong?

In terms of 100% guaranteeing they will disappoint 50% of their customers - is there hard data supporting this claim? It is prob just as (un)founded to say that by adding an interface they'll attract 300% more customers.

Conclusion: Akai should explore the route of an expansion module and let the market decide.
For those that don't want it b/c they genuinely don't want/need it with an interface - then it's not forced on you.

It's all really so simple and this discussion doesn't have to be hostile (or obsurd).

Cheers,

Moosh
MacBook Pro 2.14 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 4G RAM | Live 8 | Apogee Duet | Access Virus TI Polar | Access Virus TI Snow | Novation Remote Zero SL | Novation Nocturn | Novation Supernova | Atmosphere

http://www.loopscious.com

Moosh

Post by Moosh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:58 am

Tone Deft wrote:so make two versions, one with a soundcard, one without.

+1
MacBook Pro 2.14 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 4G RAM | Live 8 | Apogee Duet | Access Virus TI Polar | Access Virus TI Snow | Novation Remote Zero SL | Novation Nocturn | Novation Supernova | Atmosphere

http://www.loopscious.com

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:21 am

Moosh wrote:Does that make me a bad person?
who said anything about that?

as far as my saying "it'll disappoint 50% of their customers" obviously I was pulling numbers out of the air to make a point, the point was backed by the fact that there are TONS of audio devices on the market which stands to show that people are very particular about what audio device they use, so pretend that ableton live box cost $400 more and came with an audio I/O that may or may not fit their needs, how many people do you think would be thrilled about that?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

tekkers

Post by tekkers » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:25 pm

i dont see why it needs an audio interface... i'm vary wary about buing any all in one kinda box.

an apc and my little audiofire2 would be more than enough. for me anyway. i wouldnt like to think what the cost of a multi in and out card - with preamps would add to the apc cost.

maybe if you could buy one without and add it later if u wanted... abit like you could add more outputs and stuff to old samplers... but still - the r&d of something like that would add to the cost..
8O

JannisPablo

Post by JannisPablo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Did you see this one
It´s PS but it is nice
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 51#p924651
V2 should look like this :D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 pm

Simple solution for AKAI = Start selling AKAI soundcards and ship every product with Velcro. Everybody happy :D

sinfidelity

Post by sinfidelity » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I'm not really interested in the V2. I heard V3 was going to be way better.
HAHAHA, nah man u have lost ittt, v69 will be the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n yes a built in sound card wld be Farkin great!!!!!!!!!!!

using macbook pro 17 n apc40 wif ab live as a dj rig, i drive a Mazda rx8 n i'm all about space saving ;-)