Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Moosh

Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Moosh » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:56 pm

I had an APC on order but cancelled it - mostly b/c it's "non-essential" and well, the economy sucks. I realize now that it wasn't an entirely bad move... although i'm typically an early adopter, I realized that putting the brakes on this purchase made me think clearly on what it is that I want.

It's basic, and others have written about it here as well -- but how about an APC + interface (at least an audio interface, if not audio and midi). Sure it will prob cost more but at minimum, having an audio interface designed for DJ'ing (i.e, the ability to cue and output separately) seems like a logical next move.

It's touch carrying around so many devices and moving parts. Not like carrying a separate interface is that tough (I have an apogee) but still - having the option to not carry it as well would be good. And even if the audio interface meant that we couldn't power the APC via the bus (we can't now, right?) it doesn't matter. I'll happily carry my MBP + APC + 2 plugs + 1 headphones and be done with it!

Granted I know Akai JUST put this out and are probably not talking about next versions.... however, is there any news, rumors, info on what a V2 of the APC will look like?

Best,

Moosh
MacBook Pro 2.14 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 4G RAM | Live 8 | Apogee Duet | Access Virus TI Polar | Access Virus TI Snow | Novation Remote Zero SL | Novation Nocturn | Novation Supernova | Atmosphere

http://www.loopscious.com

Android Bishop

Re: Akai APC40 V2 or Future Releases

Post by Android Bishop » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:16 pm

How 'bout no.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm not really interested in the V2. I heard V3 was going to be way better.
Professional Shark Jumper.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:34 pm

if you have an Apogee interface and have heard the quality of the audio from their units, why the hell would you want an Akai interface? or more likely it would be an alesis interface. you could go buy an alesis master control and hope Akai comes out with just a clip launch matrix sometime soon. it's all the same company anyway.

trilo

Post by trilo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:43 pm

No thanks, I prefer keeping the audio interface separate. Seems to me that including one would make it that much tougher a sell - each user has their own idea of what an audio interface should have, and judging from the wide variety of choices out there it doesn't look like we universally agree on features and specs. So including an audio interface would likely either force somebody to get more or less audio interface than they may have wanted, paid for something that's completely unusable to them (because they need a different setup, or they've already bought something).

My audio interface (Fast Track Pro) suits me well enough, is small and easily fits into my bag. Maybe in a year or two I'll swap it out for something fancier, but for now it works beautifully for me.

Moosh

Post by Moosh » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm not saying I don't like the Apogee (Duet) - it's what I use in the studio.

But if I'm playing out (and can't control the venue sound system), I'd like to have the option to not bring a separate interface.

Like how the Novations have interfaces (xstation) - i wouldn't use them for all applications, but they have their place. And if Akai is trying to build a DJ / Performance unit, it would make sense to offer an interface either included or as an expansion.

Finally the discussion on quality:

20 years ago+ the "god-fathers" of electronic music (referencing the detroit / chicago scenes, but anywhere will do really) managed to put out slammin records w/o the quality of gear, sequencers, ableton, soft synths, access-viruses, etc....

Personally (and not to offend anyone) I think music is almost too polished and overproduced. If someone can hear the nuances of frequencies and eq's and is an audiophile, more power to them. I'm not so sure that audiences on the floor really care (plus you can't control the venue's sound system, or a whole host of other variables).

I agree, in the studio you want to have quality. But on the road I'll compromise high-quality for compact, easy to move / carry, and good sounding gear. In the end, for me, the judge is getting people to dance.
MacBook Pro 2.14 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 4G RAM | Live 8 | Apogee Duet | Access Virus TI Polar | Access Virus TI Snow | Novation Remote Zero SL | Novation Nocturn | Novation Supernova | Atmosphere

http://www.loopscious.com

mersault

Post by mersault » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:03 pm

I mentioned this before and you would have thought I suggested the ultimate blasphemy.

Decent stereo outs on the apc40 would be nice for a live situation. Like you stated, one less thing to bring. Of course I wouldn't consider using any onboard soundcard for anything other than live situations.

Call me crazy, but I'd be happy to leave 99.9% of my studio in the studio. I know a lot of new school cats seem to like showing their stuff. Who the fuck cares? I once saw a band who must have brought everything they own - sort of electronic crap - including a Fender Rhodes which was used for one single pulsing note in one part of a song.

Your music doesn't sound any better because you have more crap onstage. I think it just shows naivety.

...oh and I'm guessing that some of those who actually seemed angry for even suggesting an onboard soundcard probably haven't ever actually toured.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:20 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I'm not really interested in the V2. I heard V3 was going to be way better.
:lol:

some of us have moved on beyond the lame ass audio cards a DJ would use. there is NO WAY you could pick a sound card that would appeal to even half the audience. not to mention you're jacking the price which is already jacked for non-US customers.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:22 pm

i have this gig bag (actually i have 2 of the same bag) made by gig skinz and i know they aren't the only ones making them. it has more than enough room for a laptop, apc40, a separate interface, headphones, cables, etc. what seems to be the problem? if you are actually touring, are you telling me that you haven't accounted for the fact that your equipment doesn't fit in your Spongebob backpack?

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:48 pm

I'd really like a Novation sl automap 61 keys and just add the clip trigger matrix to the upper right corner.
Having an all in one unit for the studio would use less space and more ergonomic. For this I'd prefer not to have any audio interface. Maybe some day :D

mersault

Post by mersault » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:54 pm

some of us have moved on beyond the lame ass audio cards a DJ would use
...and I guess some of us are far too busy actually making music to not accumulate 15,000 plus posts.

Are you suggesting that DJ's are inferior when it comes to sound quality? What are you basing that from? Who is using the APC40 for live shows who isn't in some way related to being a DJ? Rock bands? Are you serious?

...and no, I'm not offended as a DJ - I'm far more active in other musical circles.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:55 pm

why would I address such an asshole?

you need me to explain it to you fuckwit? DJs have much simpler needs than musicians. they can have high latency and need 2 main outs and another for cue. they don't even need inputs FFS. I like many inputs, low latency and PRE AMPS.

you're not offended? then you always talk like a d0uche_bag? what's there to be offended about? you make some retarded comment about post count and then say you're more active on other circles, goddamn you're dense.

it's Friday FFS. :roll:

pinche gente.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mersault

Post by mersault » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:12 am

Really? So you would like to use your many inputs/preamps with the apc40 in a live performance. Go ahead and explain... How many people using the APC40 IN LIVE SITUATIONS will be using multiple outs and multiple preamps? Perhaps a few, but not many. And for that matter, how are you planning to use the APC40 in live performances - not as a DJ? While you're playing a guitar? ...and even if you are, why do you have to be such a dick about it?

...or maybe you need to wait and see when you actually have a live performance to answer that.

....and by active in other musical circles - I'm not referring to other forums, I'm actually referring to REAL LIFE musical situations - producing, performing, touring, making a living, etc. - you know, actual musician stuff. I guess that somebody like you would assume I can only possibly mean other forums. There's more to music then these forums and talking $hit. My point was that I don't consider myself foremost as a DJ, but that I consider it quite naive (and equally rude) to imply that there's some superiority that you have above those who do consider themselves to be DJs.

...but maybe after another 15,000 or so posts, you'll figure out how to behave like a human being - or at least an actual musician. If you used the Ableton Live program as much as you use the forum, you'd be the most productive person in music.

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:07 am

Oh wow guys...this is like really cold man. I think you all need a good hug.

And seriously, does it matter how folks get their kicks out of tunez. Make music, feel the love, DJ, rapper, rocker, mod, skn...whatever.....remember "If the kids are united ....." and I'm in my 40's.

Peace

Jock

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:28 am

mersault wrote:So you would like to use your many inputs/preamps with the apc40 in a live performance. Go ahead and explain... How many people using the APC40 IN LIVE SITUATIONS will be using multiple outs and multiple preamps? Perhaps a few, but not many.
not everybody is using it strictly in a live situation. I plan on using it in the studio quite a bit. I have a firewire410 AND a motu ultralite, what the f**k do I need the apc40 to have audio I/O's for? have you noticed how many audio devices there are out there? thats because people have very specific needs for their audio devices. if they were to add audio I/O's to the apc40 they are 100% guaranteed to disappoint 50% of their customers.

this part directed at the OP: do you really honestly not have enough motivation to play a live show that you'd not be willing to plug in TWO whole machines?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.