jomox vs elektron?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
WaveRider

Re: jomox vs elektron?

Post by WaveRider » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:45 pm

porfiry wrote:
Operator has godlike power, and a die-hard knob twiddler could sure buy a lot of multipurpose midi controllers for the price of a Machinedrum.

None of which is to say I won't buy a bunch of hardware drum machines someday. :)

you are right saying that :mrgreen:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:15 pm

WaveRider wrote:...all jomox has is a good bass drum, the snare isn't even worth it, etc... + the UI is a nightmare.

I agree that the MD sound really digital but it has a lot of punch. Unfortunately it's very expensive and I won't buy one... on the other hand I have a Monomachine :)

Elektron simply has made the all-time best tr-style sequencer. Best groovebox ever? maybe.
Maybe you can help me out with a doubt I have. This is not for now, but maybe for the future, I may be considering a machinedrum... HOWEVER... and you could correct me if I'm wrong, the Monomachine can work as a drum synth with the added bonus of being a monosynth?

If they can both do (synthetic) drums, it sounds like the Monomachine would offer more bang for the buck? yeah? no? maybe? The UserWave feature doesn't interest me that much. I'm all about the synthetic aspect of them. Thanks!

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:34 pm

The monomachine has very limited drum capibilities. It does however carry one of the drum kits that's based from the machinedrum's E12 set of digi sampled sounds. I have used just the MnM for entire track and used 3 tracks for drums and 3 melodic tracks bass, lead, vox.

My virb site has a few tracks soley made with the Monomachine.

C.S.

Post by C.S. » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:37 pm

You could program some drum sounds on the mm with the fm machines and some envelopes (but it really is a pain in the ass compared to the md). Also, the mm is monophonic (unless in poly mode) so if you want to use the other five tracks for other sounds you can't for instance put a bd & a hh on the 1. However you can create some complex rhythms with the arpeggiator and just one track of drum sounds. FWIW if you want synthetic drums... the md wins hands down. I have a md and a mm, if I had to keep one it would be the mm.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:32 pm

thanks gents. That's very helpful. I did see some videos of the monomachine and goddamn that thing can pump out some awesome sounds! And looks like fun.

Actually sounded like a full-blown groovebox, from the videos I saw, including synths AND beats. Almost looks like you wouldn't need much else, except for maybe a few samples to back it, once it's all in Live. Looks like the MM is more versatile than the MD. Still I don't know. I'm still thinking that what I would "need" (don't really need, but would like) is really a dedicated drum machine, so now I'm conflicted.

Another question about the MM. Are the 6 tracks each hardwired to a synth engine? like, track 1 is always FM, 2 is analog, 3 is voice, etc etc (for example. I don't really know exactly how they are arranged) or can you use multiple instances of the same engine on different tracks?

ANNNNND... are you guys rocking the MK1's or MK2's? I just saw an ad for a pair of MK1's (MD + MM) selling for 900 each. Is this a good price? VERY tempted to go for one of these 8O 8O 8O

PS: @ dbolt, nice tracks. Liked em!

EDIT: the guy offered up any one of them for 800! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK. I know i shouldn't but goddamn it, i think i might end up going for one of these.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:44 pm

33tetragammon wrote:
yes,the Electribe SX is amazing.i love it!!!!!
time for Korg to produce a new version of it,a major kick-ass electribe SX on galactic steroids,more refined.it's been almost 6 years......

but kick ass anyday,especially with that awesome Kaosspad 3.

yes,this is VERY off-topic,i know.......forgive me.....

Plus there is fun to be had with sample point manipulation on the SX, try setting the automation (motion seq) of the sample to increment through the 16 steps on a loop loaded into a drum part and play with decay, pitch, etc...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

C.S.

Post by C.S. » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:19 am

The "machines" as the differnt synth types are called are not hardwired at all... it's up to you. I have the sfx-6 the one with the keyboard. But I have a uw mk1 for my md... and I have no desire to move to a mk2 at this point. 800 sounds real fair even for an mk1 IMO