Tips for native ableton users learning reason?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vitamin-e

Tips for native ableton users learning reason?

Post by vitamin-e » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:33 am

This summer I enrolled in a couple of quasi-audio mastering classes at a local college. I've been making electronic music for years now, but never had any professional instruction, so I figured, the more ya know... right? WRONG!
Turns out the college's audio department ONLY uses macs, while I am and have been a Linux/Windows user most of my life, and haven't touched a mac since I was playing oregon trail in 5th grade... To make matters worse, they not only do not even have Ableton, they exclusively use Reason, Digital Performer, Logic, and ProTools. No Cubase, No Ableton, No FL even, NOTHING THAT SUPPORTS VSTS!? *cries* I thought college was a place to /broaden/ your knowledge and skills, not lock them down to proprietary limited expandability platforms.

Anyway, case and point, all I know is Ableton (And how to use Reason via rewire.) I have a project due at the end of the term that will be applying what I've learned about how to sequence and mix with any or all of the DAWs I mentioned. I have a small amount of experience with Reason, but I REALLY don't like the workflow, as I'm used to Ableton's (imo) logical/simplistic design. I assume this is just because it has a steeper learning curve(or so rumor has it) than a lot of other DAWs, and I haven't sat down with it long enough to really get the hang of it.

What are some key differences I should know about between Ableton and Reason? Common Ableton functions and how to emulate them? I'm still considering focusing on learning one of the other DAWs, so if you guys have any suggestions, feel free...

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Tips for native ableton users learning reason?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:59 am

Coming from Ableton, you might actually find you like working in Logic better and since your school uses that, maybe it would be a good one to focus on. It has a similar "why the fuck would I want cables all over the damn place in a piece of software?" kind of philosophy.
Professional Shark Jumper.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:09 am

I think it's great that natives have the opportunity to use both Ableton and Reason!

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:14 am

timothyallan wrote:I think it's great that natives have the opportunity to use both Ableton and Reason!
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrm ching!

boska

Post by boska » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:15 am

Ok, a tip;

press the little square in the upper right corner of the reason window to get the sequencer in a seperate window. This was actually the most valuable little thing I learned in all my years of using reason....

If you enjoy using session view looping for making beats, tweaking sounds, layering etc., you'll probably enjoy redrum aswell, which can run kinda "on its own" while programming beats.

What functions do you consider to be "common Live functions"? Could probably help you out a little more.

-b

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:13 pm

Run everything thru a Scream on tape saturation mode. Immediately your music just got better.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

fuzzyhead

Post by fuzzyhead » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Run everything thru a Scream on tape saturation mode. Immediately your music just got better.
You should consider reading this article 1st :

http://www.peff.com/journal/2009/04/22/ ... ombinator/
before applying this technique..
Many useful tips in there BTW,Peff is considered as a Reason ace