choose what type of music you make, or just make it

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Johnisfaster

choose what type of music you make, or just make it

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:59 pm

for years I've been struggling with this concept, I know you're supposed to just make it without pushing yourself toward a 'style' but the left side of my brain says "you should make stuff like this, cause that stuff is good" so I'm always pushing myself to try to have more energy in my songs and failing miserably at it. I think my ego says "beef it up and make it bad ass!" when I let myself relax I tend to make kinda mellow pretty dreamy floaty tracks, on the minimal side, but thats not what I "want" to make you know?(even though it is on some level)

I don't know, not sure if I'm looking for advice/insight or just sharing
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

McQ714

Re: choose what type of music you make, or just make it

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:18 pm

i know what you mean... i've made a couple of mix CDs that i call the McFluffy Mix 1 & 2. and when i start making my own songs, i'll have a progressive house sound i want out of it and i'll end up with, well... not that! it ends up too busy most of the time and a lot harder than i intended. what can i say? i like heavy, dirty basslines and lead synths and can't seem to bring it down a notch. so i guess i've gone completely opposite from what you're trying to do. maybe we should work together?!? i tend to struggle creating my melody riffs coming up with something original. i'm not looking to make Deadmau5 type shit, and certainly don't want to produce hard tarnce. it's getting more difficult, though, to not rip off someone's sound. there's too many artists out there these days. i think part of my problem is that i always tend to pick out this hard-hitting kick drum to start and build off that. does anyone ever start the other way and work on the melody or atmosphere first?

v76

Post by v76 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:29 pm

don't force yourself to produce stuff that doesn't come "naturally" but let yourself try new things... go with the flow. All's gonna be alright.

Same with mixing... I can record a mix and try to "play it" again a couple weeks/months later but it never feels right, gotta play what you feel.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:39 pm

educate yourself on all the techniques involved, rehearse, rehearse, rehearse, now, once more, with feeling.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:49 pm

this notion really struck me when I saw James Blunt on the TV show Top Gear (best show ever.) he was completely taking the piss on his music, calling it girlie, saying they were love songs for Jeremy Clarkson (their snarky grumpy old man host.) he doesn't make the kind of music he would listen to, he just makes it and it works.

just let it flow. then there's the genuinely talented guys that can make that exact sound that's in their head. dunno if they can muster the mojo to make it sound good on command and put it all together, you'd have to ask one of them.

I can make stuff in a style I'd like but my main self criticism is to make something I'd buy, anything else is shit. this attitude holds me back, I need to be more like your awesome "post some stupid music" thread. I really need to just churn out a bunch of songs quickly, get that musical constipation cleared.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:54 pm

McQ714 wrote:does anyone ever start the other way and work on the melody or atmosphere first?
i sometimes write vocals backwards. if i think somethig is clever or that it will make a good outro/last line I start there and then write the rhyme the other way. At some point I begin to consider the first line and will meet in the middle. With vocals you at least know what your music is about in a general way.

With "just plain" mixing i think that's different because the mix is going to reflect your mood unless of course mixing changes your mood.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:08 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I really need to just churn out a bunch of songs quickly, get that musical constipation cleared.
recently I found myself creating a handful of new tracks quickly by meditating on the idea that I would "just go into it for the purpose of entertaining myself WITH NO GOALS, don't try to make a song" sorta mental masterbation type of work instead of trying to write a song type of work.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:09 pm

McQ714 wrote:does anyone ever start the other way and work on the melody or atmosphere first?
actually I recently made like 5 short tracks starting with the melody and atmosphere first, they aren't full songs they are mostly 1-2 minutes long but it was certainly an interesting change from starting with the drums all the time, I highly recommend it.

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:I really need to just churn out a bunch of songs quickly, get that musical constipation cleared.
recently I found myself creating a handful of new tracks quickly by meditating on the idea that I would "just go into it for the purpose of entertaining myself WITH NO GOALS, don't try to make a song" sorta mental masterbation type of work instead of trying to write a song type of work.
Yep.
I find that's a great way to shake the funk out of your head.
It's also a great way to explore some of the bits of your studio you don't go to as much, or don't know as much about.

For example, I went through a pretty serious gear addiction phase a couple of years ago, and ended up with the typical "more than you can navigate - more than you can learn" scenario. So, I picked my favorites, and just used them, and everything else was just sort of relegated to the back seat.

But, periodically (particularly when I'm not liking what I'm making) I'll go through with a simple contract:
- use anything you want... loops, presets, any instrument
- do anything you want... any style, no style, new style, etc
- don't take anything too seriously... the arrangement, the mix, the tweaks
- delete the results (usually)

The delete the results I added simply because I never used to delete anything, and ended up with a silly amount of projectlets, which weren't ever really going anywhere, and that too was too difficult to navigate.

I'm glad I saw this thread. It's time for a few days of goofiness with no set goals or expectations.
I actually just added a few bits to the studio, and I need to learn how to use them.

I'm getting a new roof installed tomorrow. Maybe I should tap my tempo to the beat of the banging I'll be hearing all day. :lol:

Take care,
- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:26 pm

You are a product of your environment to a good degree, as everyone has said - music needs to come naturally and at the moment you are making floaty stuff, but when music doesn't satisfy you it's hard to put in that last 1 percent that really sells it to other people. That might simply be - the impetus to get out there and play our music to people fades if you don't really believe in the music.

My Advice :
If you want to make more dirty type tracks then you need to get yourself into a more dirty environment.
For one reason and another I've been hanging around with a lot of quite weird and seedy types (my kinda people : ) ). Anyway - that's certainly influenced a particular part of my music because my lizard brain can totally picture what this music is 'about', and so it is powered up to produce it.

You need fuel to make any kind of music.
Sit on a comfy cushion and smoke weed while watching clouds go by = drifty
Hanging out with sideshow freaks and satanic sluts = dirty

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Angstrom wrote:You are a product of your environment to a good degree
see this is very true for me right now, I moved back to my home town almost 2 years ago with my wife, unfortunately it's a tiny town, far away from all my friends and my wife works graveyard. so I spend nearly all my time alone. when I was young I used to think that being alone would produce so much music it would be awesome but the fact of the matter is after spending 90% of my time alone for the last 2 years I've lost so much drive to do anything at all much less do music. music by nature is at least semi social (even introverted music is SEMI social) and with absolutely no social life my music has suffered pretty bad.

in fact I didn't make anything for a hell of a long time until I recently started smoking pot. but even then I often just stare blankly at the TV eating everything in the house.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Angstrom wrote: Hanging out with sideshow freaks and satanic sluts
and I'll go ahead and say it, I don't think satanic sluts would be very healthy for me ;)

MrShine

Post by MrShine » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 pm

Never go with a style imho, just do what you want to do, end of.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:in fact I didn't make anything for a hell of a long time until I recently started smoking pot. but even then I often just stare blankly at the TV eating everything in the house.
Live 8 with share might be of some help to you, now pass me the reefer.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:49 pm

SimonPHC wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:in fact I didn't make anything for a hell of a long time until I recently started smoking pot. but even then I often just stare blankly at the TV eating everything in the house.
Live 8 with share might be of some help to you, now pass me the reefer.
I'm too broke to share :) f*ing music gear stole all my money