help making my own binaural sounds using carrier frequency's

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nuxnamon

help making my own binaural sounds using carrier frequency's

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:39 pm

I assume this can be done w/ live or some plug ins.. i am just not much into programming so I don't know where to start..

I don't know how to set up the oscillator and don't see any settings for any type of frequency on any of my plugs, or maybe i missed it.. I also don't know what type of wave to use, sine, saw, etc.... here is what i am trying to do..

Basically, I am trying to create my own carrier frequency to induce different brain activity.. below are the different brain waves

1. Beta (13-30+Hz) Beta is the state of normal, wakeful consciousness. As we are working, driving, talking, etc., we are likely in Beta. On the higher extremes, Beta is sometimes associated with anxiety, panic or stress.
2. Alpha (8-12.9 Hz) Alpha is a state of light relaxation. Not a sleep state, but usually reflective of a calm, focused mind. Alpha is sometimes called the "superlearning state" because the brain seems to be more receptive and open to new information. Alpha is also considered ideal for creative brain storming. Most meditation occurs in this state.
3. Theta (4-7.9 Hz) Theta is a state of deep relaxation. Sometimes a sleep state, sometimes not, theta reflects a state of dreamlike awareness. Dreams and a deep, meditative state of consciousness are common characteristics of theta.
4. Delta (0.1-3.9 Hz) Delta, the deepest of the brainwave patterns, is a state of deep sleep, or trance-like consciousness. Maintaining awareness into delta can result in opening access to the unconscious portion of our consciousness.

In theory, introducing a tone of a certain frequency into one ear (which affects the opposite side of the brain) and a tone of a different frequency into the other ear. The electrical brain wave patterns will then resonate to the difference between these two tones. If we make the difference between the two tones ten cycles-per-second, the predominant brain wave pattern will be ten cycles per second, in the middle of the alpha range.

e.g

1. Tone of 230 Hz played to right ear
2. Tone of 240 Hz played to left ear
3. Difference = 10 Hz. (Alpha State)

I have live 8 suite, sylenth, predator, and omnisphere.. surely there is a way to to this.. Should I be using a sine wave? how to adjust frequency?

Johnisfaster

Re: help making my own binaural sounds using carrier frequency's

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:49 pm

I don't know if I buy into this stuff, I listened to some binaural sounds some time back and I just found myself annoyed.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:50 pm

although I will say that if you need to generate extremely low or extremely high frequencies operator can do it easily, and yes I think sine waves are a good place to start.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

jj0b

Post by jj0b » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 am

I've got some experience with creating binaural beats. You should absolutely use sine waves. I like to use Absynth for this but all you need is a way of creating two sine waves and to be able to precisely set their frequencies.

I'm not where I can test this currently but you could probably do this with a couple instances of Operator. I think you may need to insert a Spectrum after each to set the exact frequencies you want. Then just set both up to receive input from the same midi source and pan them to opposite sides. Hold down a key and put on some headphones and you should hear the beating being created in your mind. This is key, you must do this with headphones otherwise you are missing the whole point.

You could also try using sine waves loaded into Simpler or Sampler.
http://www.musicalgeometry.com
Live 8.2.6
MBP OSX 10.7.2
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
RME Fireface UFX

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:08 am

Two instances of operator - one for each ear.
Use one sine wave oscillator, set it to fixed frequency. You should be able to type in the exact frequency you want.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:11 am

nuxnamon wrote:
1. Tone of 230 Hz played to right ear
2. Tone of 240 Hz played to left ear
3. Difference = 10 Hz. (Alpha State)

I have live 8 suite, sylenth, predator, and omnisphere.. surely there is a way to to this.. Should I be using a sine wave? how to adjust frequency?
you could use two Operators, as you can produce a sine wave of a specific frequency. the oscillators produce a bit of noise compared to Analog, which has better oscillators, but I'm all about convenience myself.
put them in two rack chains and pan the chains left and right

I just tried this, it's pretty weird.
I can smell the sound of purple

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 am

La Monte Young's '31:69' is an interesting piece where each speaker has a sine wave, with a ratio of 31:69. Very interesting effects, especially if you move about the room and/or use your hands to muffle one/both ears.

Here's a link, but the effect is not quite the same since the compression from the audio player mixes the stereo field a little.

http://www.last.fm/music/La+Monte+Young ... 12:17:33-1

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:17 am

Supposedly it's good to go for the Schumann Resonance frequency of approx 7.83 Hz - that way your brain is synced to the earth's frequency. ;)

reddvinylene

Post by reddvinylene » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:58 am

1nfinitezer0

Post by 1nfinitezer0 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:15 pm

ethios4 wrote:Two instances of operator - one for each ear.
Use one sine wave oscillator, set it to fixed frequency. You should be able to type in the exact frequency you want.
Using operator seems to be the quickest way to achieve it in Live. Remember to pan hard each side.
There's also a free plugin generator in Audacity. I don't have the link sorry, but it's in a previous binaural thread in these boards.

When mucking around with this, I found my vision started to swim. Dunno if that was a result of binaural effects or my brain/ears asking me to stop with the unrelenting tones ~: P
The process of "entrainment" of brainwaves by the known psychoacoustic effect is not validated. Who knows if it works on melodies or only sustained notes. Nevertheless, I made a mix using multiple layered binaural drones for my hippy friends to mess with: in the key of the universe mix

I'd be really interested to hear any piece you create that has consistent effects. Have fun! ~: )

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:41 am

funny.. i thought i wouldn't get any responses at all.. thanks for all the tips regarding operator..
1nfinitezer0 wrote:
I'd be really interested to hear any piece you create that has consistent effects. Have fun! ~: )
Your linky dont worky!!

I've been using BrainSync CD's to help me meditate and calm my anxiety (diagnosed last year due to a relationship breakup from the past as stated by the overpaid shrink).. whatever. the meds help but i don't wanna be stuck using that shit. anyways, I heard of Holosync CD's do something similar and heard of great success w/ anxiety.. so this is my attempt.. so unless you wanna hear some low frequency sounds w/ affirmations of "I'm OK" in the background, i don't think any one would care for it.. lol..

thanks again for the help everyone.. have a great weekend and hope everyone gets laid...

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:13 am

I need anxiety relief.

1nfinitezer0

Post by 1nfinitezer0 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:43 pm

nuxnamon wrote:Your linky dont worky!!
hmmm, works for me, here is my general profile http://soundcloud.com/1nfinitezer0
thanks again for the help everyone.. have a great weekend and hope everyone gets laid...
if you succeed in being more sexually appealing through binaural beats, by all means, sell that. But share with us first!!

boomtchik

Post by boomtchik » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:01 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:although I will say that if you need to generate extremely low or extremely high frequencies operator can do it easily, and yes I think sine waves are a good place to start.
you can damage damage your hair cells this is a very good start for a tinnitus (acoustic trauma)
Stealth Bomber PC - Vista 64bit - FF400 - Moog Voyager Lunar - Little Phatty Tribute - Korg ESX1 - Live 8 uninstalled

marra

Post by marra » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:25 am

Has anybody used this in an actual beat? And can this same beat be rendered without this binaural stuff so we can test the difference?