Now that I have all the stuff...time to put it together.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
teestone

Now that I have all the stuff...time to put it together.

Post by teestone » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:54 pm

I'm mainly a performer and have some basic knowledge of recording. I made a commitment recently to move up to the next level with a laptop setup.

For the last few years I've been running a synth, drum machine, and guitars through a mixer. Then I sent the signal to a stereo looper and then out to a couple of keyboard amps. I recorded with a stereo mic into a mini-disk player then into a PC with an old version of ACID. I know it's pretty awful.... :oops:

With the capabilities of this rig tapped many moons ago, I decided to upgrade to a laptop with Ableton Live. After spending some time here, I realized most of my old hardware would be obsolete. Since then I've acquired some new stuff and made quite the hole in my pocket.

Here's what I now have to work with.....

-the core...a 17" MacBook Pro, pretty loaded...running Ableton Live

-Novation Remote SL37 midi controller...for keys, synths, bass, drums, etc

-Akai APC40

-Focusrite Saffire LE...Firewire intereface for sending L and R guitar signal via line outs, a bass guitar in the near future and possibly a mic for percusion and random sound effects

-Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 monitor speaker system

In theory, it will work like this....

-->Midi controller into MacBook...APC into Macbook...interface into MacBook...instruments/mics into interface...monitors our of interface

Viola!! Awesome new tunes!!!

I'll be spending some time assembling everything but the monitors today...they'll be here next week. Everything else is ready to be unpacked and set up.

I would appreciate any pointers, suggestions and feedback you guys and gals might have...I'm probably going to need it. Wish me luck!!! :)
Last edited by teestone on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

aburgener

Re: Now that I have all the stuff...time to put it together.

Post by aburgener » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:05 pm

you're gonna need a Buchla

Renez

Post by Renez » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:06 pm

Sounds like a pretty cool setup. I have an Akai APC-40 that I use as part of my DJ set, I love it!!!
Ableton Live 7.0.16, Macbook 2.4 GHz, 2GB DDR3, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, APC-40, Nord Lead

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:29 pm

Good luck man. It'll revolutionise your live shows as a performer man, I mean it, it'll be awesome.

teestone

Post by teestone » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:11 pm

aburgener wrote:you're gonna need a Buchla
a what?

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:32 pm

A Buchla

Don't you know anything? :)

teestone

Post by teestone » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:44 pm

twisted-space wrote:A Buchla

Don't you know anything? :)
oh my....

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:06 pm

I think you'd better start saving

http://www.buchla.com/

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:24 pm

teestone wrote:For the last few years I've been running a synth, drum machine, and guitars through a mixer. Then I sent the signal to a stereo looper and then out to a couple of keyboard amps. I recorded with a stereo mic into a mini-disk player then into a PC with an old version of ACID.
But those were the fun days... Obsolete? Just don't count you chicks too soon :wink:

teestone

Post by teestone » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:45 pm

squelcht wrote:
teestone wrote:For the last few years I've been running a synth, drum machine, and guitars through a mixer. Then I sent the signal to a stereo looper and then out to a couple of keyboard amps. I recorded with a stereo mic into a mini-disk player then into a PC with an old version of ACID.
But those were the fun days... Obsolete? Just don't count you chicks too soon :wink:
Yeah....I guess they're not obsolete...but when I made a commitment to go with the laptop setup, I also made a commitment to unload some of the gear I wouldn't be using anymore....the mixer, looper, drum machine, and synth.

And yes...I had many fun days with that setup!!

teestone

Post by teestone » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Update:

Well I got everything hooked up and working.

Getting the Saffire LE working was pretty easy. Downloaded a few updates and it worked perfectly.

Loaded the bundled version of Live 7 Lite that came with the APC40 and got that working fairly easy. I don't really know what I'm doing yet but I do know that I will be getting Live 8 Suite sooner than later. I have been playing with the 14 day trial version of 8 Suite for a week and it's pretty awesome. Glad I waited to get the bundles software. It's going to save me a bunch of money on the upgrade to Live 8 Suite.

The Novation SL37 gave me a little trouble. At first I was able to get Ableton to recognize it was there but it was functioning as a controller and not as a midi keyboard. Eventually with some help from my buddy and forum member jsg4z, we got Automap loaded up and got it working the way it should be.

Thus far I'm still using two old Roland keyboard amps to monitor everything. Honestly, it doesn't sound bad...not good...but not bad. However, I'm hoping when the Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 arrives later next week, I will realize how big a difference there is between quality monitors and keyboard amps.

The last step is to get my guitar rig set up again and get that running into the Saffire.

Once that is done I'll have to sit down and start doing some of the lessons and tutorials for Ableton. I still have a lot to learn!!!

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:20 pm

A cheap footswitch will do you some good...

teestone

Post by teestone » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:A cheap footswitch will do you some good...
For the APC40 or the Novation?

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Either, I suppose, but I would be more prone to plugging it into the APC.

Here's a thread on the topic:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=APC40