APC40 Clip Track????? Creative manual editing from Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jordan Vesteyo

APC40 Clip Track????? Creative manual editing from Ableton

Post by Jordan Vesteyo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:03 am

So on the subject of clip/track select from the APC 40.
Looks like instead of fixing the issue to work correctly the just edited the manual. interesting.....
Doesn't give me much faith they will fix this issue...

Now in 8.0.2 the manual on page 471 says as follows:

"The Track Selection buttons route the eight endless encoders to the rst device or Rack on
that track, with LED rings to automatically show you the levels on the selected parameter.
Four buttons below the dials give you additional control options. Clip/Track lets you switch
between viewing the devices on a track or the properties of the clip currently playing on that
track
. Device On/Off turns the currently selected device on or off. Device Left and Device
Right (indicated by two arrows) shift you one step sideways along a track's device chain.

Compare this to 8.0.4 on page 471,

"The Track Selection buttons route the eight endless encoders to the rst device or Rack on
that track, with LED rings to automatically show you the levels on the selected parameter.
Four buttons below the dials give you additional control options. Clip/Track lets you switch
between viewing the devices on a track or the properties of a track's clip in the currently
selected scene
. Device On/Off turns the currently selected device on or off. Device Left and
Device Right (indicated by two arrows) shift you one step sideways along a track's device
chain.
24in Imac/MBPro UNibody, Ableton Live 8 Suite ,Logic Pro 8, Liquid Mix,

drewbixcube

Re: APC40 Clip Track????? Creative manual editing from Ableton

Post by drewbixcube » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:23 am

This is an "issue" with Live, not the APC. At the present moment, it is physically impossible to map any controller in such a way that will select a clip, unless the scene is also selected. Believe me, I've racked my brain trying to come up with a work around. It wouldn't be as frustrating if "select on launch" worked via MIDI...

Jordan Vesteyo

Post by Jordan Vesteyo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:42 am

drewbixcube wrote:This is an "issue" with Live, not the APC. At the present moment, it is physically impossible to map any controller in such a way that will select a clip, unless the scene is also selected. Believe me, I've racked my brain trying to come up with a work around. It wouldn't be as frustrating if "select on launch" worked via MIDI...

True that select on launch via midi would help, however If a command was sent from the clip/track button to "track status" it would work correctly. My point is that instead of making it work correcttly they changed the manual to make it seem this bass-ackward way of viewing a clip that is playing on a track is the way it was supposed to work. It should work that when you select a track it should show you the playing clip if you are in clip view. This is not the case.

obscurityknocks

Post by obscurityknocks » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:37 pm

Am I understanding your problem correctly? Do you want whichever clip you are currently playing to show in the clip view when you select it, so that if you do a lot of quick selection of different clips that it will show the current clip?

I couldn't seem to get that to work with the apc 40 either, until I updated to 8.0.4, but now it works. (This was big for me.) Or are you talking about something else?

Jordan Vesteyo

Post by Jordan Vesteyo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:17 am

obscurityknocks wrote:Am I understanding your problem correctly? Do you want whichever clip you are currently playing to show in the clip view when you select it, so that if you do a lot of quick selection of different clips that it will show the current clip?

I couldn't seem to get that to work with the apc 40 either, until I updated to 8.0.4, but now it works. (This was big for me.) Or are you talking about something else?
Yes that works.

Actually it is much simpler than that. Lets say you have 4 tracks playing. The last clip you select say track 4 will highlight the scene that the clip is on, you will see that clip,...... ok. So on track 1 you have another clip that is playing, but on a different scene level. Select track 1 with the track select button for that track, it does not show the clip playing on that track, when you hit the clip/track button. You have to select the clip with the mouse or select the "track status" box to view the clip on that track. Compare this to the behavior of the "track status" boxes (next to each track's stop clip square, it also shows the time remaining in the clip). Clicking on this box, or mapping it with midi will show the status of the clip on that track. This should be the default behavior for the track select button on the apc, select a track while a clip is playing and it shows you what is going in the track that is playing. Say you were playing long clips for DJing and you flip back between track 1 and 2 in the middle of a mix, you cant see the previous playing waveform on the other track when you select the track. You should be able to select any track playing a clip and if clip/track is set to clip, view the playing clip playin on that track. This is how it works with effects on a track, move along the track select buttons with track selected as the view, bingo you see the different effects on each track. Clip view only shows the last clip selected no matter which other track you select. If it works for effects, why not clips? They need to have the mapped track select buttons to also hit the "track status" box, when the view is set to clip view. Try it out. It is completely counter-intuitive to the way the track view works with the clip/track button. For now I remap the the clip stop buttons to "track status" but this can only be done for 8 tracks.
Not useful for more than 8 tracks. If you use Live for DJ sets also this is a pain in the arse, you cant view a track that is playing to see when a breakdown is coming or what the end of the tracks waveform looks like just by selecting the track.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 pm

Did this ever get solved? THis issue has been driving me crazy for some time now.
-Hamish
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:05 pm

Press and hold clip / track button i believe....

Working on a m4l device that'll allow to to view any of the clips in the control box by holding down clip / track and pressing the corresponding clip launch button, doesn't matter whether the clips playing or not, it'll go straight to the clip view of that clip....

It's part of the new functionality i'm building for Isotonik 7

Cheers
D

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:40 pm

S4racen wrote:Press and hold clip / track button i believe....
nice one... don't know how I missed this!
Thanks,
Hamish
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Unannounced update in a previous version of live i believe....

Cheers
D