When something you didn't get at first knocks you out later

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: When something you didn't get at first knocks you out later

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:55 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:Back then most all CDs came in a long box. .
I had a bunch of those stapled to my wall. Including Jane's Addiction's Ritual De Lo Habitual before Tipper Gore and the powers that be censored it. Damn I wish I still had that piece of card board. :(

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 pm

H20nly wrote:
DrXparaMental wrote:Back then most all CDs came in a long box. .
I had a bunch of those stapled to my wall. Including Jane's Addiction's Ritual De Lo Habitual before Tipper Gore and the powers that be censored it. Damn I wish I still had that piece of card board. :(
I had that one too as well as Nothings Shocking. Those were really excellent covers.

This was a very interesting time in music for me and many others it seems. Coming out of what had been the worst decade in music history, there were all these acts that were fusing all sorts of base musical styles into the Alternative amalgam. Just when you thought you were going to have to settle for sugar coated cereal prize music, within it's ornate box adorned with the anything but attractive enticement of spandex, mascara & hair spray, struggling bands like Jane's, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Alice in Chains smashed their way through the ilk.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:15 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:Cannot get enough of u-ziq's Royal Astronomy lately. Man is this guy ever different and talented. The more I listen, the better it gets.

Oh dude you just named one of my fav albums. carpet muncher ftw

idl

Post by idl » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Zerobae wrote:electronic music

i thought it was lifeless, cheap and boring.

ca. 1993
Same here. Dance music just didn't fit with me untill I got older, I guess the ressonant frequency of my skull changed :)

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:51 pm

Android Bishop wrote:
DrXparaMental wrote:Cannot get enough of u-ziq's Royal Astronomy lately. Man is this guy ever different and talented. The more I listen, the better it gets.

Oh dude you just named one of my fav albums. carpet muncher ftw
I'm still blown away by the disc's incredible diversity. Many artists can do "diverse". Even to a fault. It's when the audio space that the diversity nests in is so cohesively styled, that the whole thing takes on a unique relative fabric. It's crazy how the whole "Royal Astronomy" audio concept bleeds through the listening experience the way it does. Some people are just beyond the scope of the obvious and this guy IMO is one of them.

I would have NEVER "got" this listening experience, if I had just intently tried to. I put it on as I was cleaning and organizing my listening space as it played from start to finish. I kept thinking, "man, this amazing, I've never heard this before" and knew something good was afoot, because I had several times prior. :)

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Phish.. :lol:

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:
stringtapper wrote:Jellyfish's Spilt Milk.

I always loved Bellybutton, but Spilt Milk never clicked with me and I sold it. Recently got to talking about Jellyfish with a colleague who suggested I try again. Love that album now. Too bad those two records are all they ever made.
I remember these guys. This is the second time that you have brought up an obscure band that I can fully agree are great. Bellybutton was among the very first CDs that I personally bought. It was within the first 20-30, that's for sure. I remember buying this CD just because I really liked the cover. Back then most all CDs came in a long box. I am sorry to say that I never even knew that they had a second album. Maybe I will pull this one out and give it a listen later this evening or over the weekend. I bet it's been a good 10 years since I have. Seems like I recall this one excellent song, most likely one of my favorites on the disc, that is about a father talking to possibly his child about not making the same mistakes he did. Something about a picture on a mantle possibly. Pretty moving tune actually. ST, you have a great way of jostling the memory. thanks.
Pleasure. And that'd be "The Man I Used To Be" that you're thinking of, first track on the disc. And I totally had the Bellybutton cardboard CD box stapled to my wall!

And since I didn't say it before, yes, Michael Paradinas is the shit.
Unsound Designer

chis

Post by chis » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:34 pm

ca. 1993
Funny, at the time it certainly wasn't. But nowadays, hello "lifeless, cheap and boring" minimal techno...

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:45 pm

chis wrote:

ca. 1993
Funny, at the time it certainly wasn't. But nowadays, hello "lifeless, cheap and boring" minimal techno...
I haven't managed to "get" minimal yet either. I tried numerous times for instance with Richie Hawtin, and there is just nothing there for me YET.

I do know exactly what the OP (the post you replied to) was stating though. He meant in 1993 he wasn't getting it, not that the music from 1993 specifically was boring and lifeless. Music is mysterious.

glamourboy

Post by glamourboy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:18 pm

buildups. it's an art in itself.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Yeh - f****** Live install limits!
Nothing to see here - move along!

TomDJ

Post by TomDJ » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:11 pm

Aphex Twin

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:16 pm

I love that album :D I love all his stuff actually. I happened across Swan Vesta from Tango n Vectif on a Rephlex compilation the other day. It reminded me how cool his early stuff is too.

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Talk Talk - Arrangements and musicianship.

Going with the flow... its amazing how things fall into place.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:25 am

Cowboy Bepop. Bought the first disc, couldn't get into it. Got scolded for selling it back. Came back to it a few years later and watched enough to see it was more than some kid show.

jason