Automatic Multisampling tool for creating sampler instrument

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CerebralNektar

Automatic Multisampling tool for creating sampler instrument

Post by CerebralNektar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi all,
just wondering about a basic problem in digital music world :
how can I "freeze" a cool preset created from my Roland Alpha Juno-2 or a virtual instrument into a full multisampled instrument in Sampler (multiple velocity layer, autoloop for sustain, etc... )?

I've heard something about redmatica stuff but they are a bit expensive for me ... and they seems to be logic pro centric.

Do you multisample your synth (virtual or real) manually ??

thanks for your advices !
Live 8 Suite Box, Max/MSP | APC 40, PadKontrol, BCF+BCR, Keycontrol 49, Intuos 3 Wide A5 | Mac Pro Nehalem Octo 2,26Ghz, 12Gb, Radeon 4870, Raid 0 drives | Mindprint Trio S/Pdif | Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 | MBP Core I5 2.4Ghz, 4Gb

ghostly

Re: Automatic Multisampling tool for creating sampler instrument

Post by ghostly » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:28 pm

Samplit - http://www.soundlib.com/samplit/

Doesn't seem to work with Sampler though.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:48 pm

I did it a couple of times with good results in Live at no cost:

1. Write down a scale of midi notes from C1 to C2 into a clip, C3 to C4 into another and so on until you cover the needed range. Decide if you want 1/1 or 1/4 notes or 1/8 or 1/16 notes at a fixed velocity of your choice and do not forget to insert spaces between notes, they'll come up handy in the process later on. Repeat this for as many velocities you want, typically 1 to 4 and put it along the clip.
Better if you create as many scales-velocities clip as you can. For example if you want to sample 2 octaves and 2 velocities you'll end up with 4 clips. Save this clips in your library.

2. When you have your clips ready fire the External Instrument effect on that track (look up in the manual for settings)

3. Freeze the track and Deep Freeze it

4. With the created Audio Clips you can drag and drop & adjust samples into Sampler. Typically you want to use a portion of the sample for each note/velocity.

5. When you're ready with all sampler parameters and satisfied save it. That's all.

I know it sounds cumbersome but it works, and it's free...

In theory you could slice the audio to drum rack or sampler but it never worked as I wanted so I didn't investigate any further...

To answer your question, since the introduction of External Instrument effect I don't feel the need to sample sounds from hardware synths except for very special cases when I want to add that particular patch to my library.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:47 pm

ghostly wrote:Samplit - http://www.soundlib.com/samplit/

Doesn't seem to work with Sampler though.
hmm but sampler supports allot of those sample formats
so it should work correct?
i've loaded .gig and .sf2 and a few others into sampler without an issue.
$119 for a single sample format or $200 all formats
i think i'll put that on the back burner for the days of prosperity.

slice to single sampler is a breeze if you only need 1 velocity layer.
i havent done it yet but setting up multi velocity shouldn't be to tuff but it would still be work.. it would be nice to have a program just do it all for you :)

andrewj

Post by andrewj » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:56 am

Samplit looks interesting.

What's with Sample Robot? Seems to be an alternative with more features!?

Has anyone tried a tool like this? Does the SF2 import support multiple key and velocity zones?
Live, Cubase, Microbute, FA-06, various outboard, guitars, basses and a lot of wine in my cellar ;)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Really great tip Pasha, thanks.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.