DJ EQing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wackraps

DJ EQing

Post by wackraps » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:48 pm

OK, I know this question has been asked before, but I've been checking the forums for days and have not found quite what I am looking for. Maybe it simply doesn't exist. Anyways, I recently purchased an APC 40 and am using it to DJ, though this same question could apply to other MIDI controllers as well. Basically I need an EQ plugin/device that functions like a normal DJ mixer's EQ. Meaning:

1. the 12 o'clock position is 0 db.
2. the boost (by turning the knob to the right) boosts by approx 6db at full blast
3. turning to the left cuts to -infinity dB

I know that the LSS DJeq has been mentioned by many but it seems to me that the Low frequency range allows too much Mid through when Mid and High are completely killed. I have tried messing around with racks and the like. The best I've come across so far is Tarekith's EQ 3.8 v2 but as mentioned in the documentation there is no way to limit the boost to 6db. The only way that comes to mind is using a Limiter in the chain, but I am on Ableton 7 which does not have this. Any thoughts? Anyone using a similar set up with the Limiter in Ableton 8? Thanks in advance.

saint easy

Re: DJ EQing

Post by saint easy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:41 pm

more over, it would be nice to see a controller come out that has the clip launch matrix the APC has but that also allows you to control a 3 band eq on two channels at once--Killing the lows on one channel while bringing them up on another etc.

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:44 pm

yeh 0 at 12 o'clock would be good.

i asked a similar question a while back with no success. however you worded in better. i have learned to live with out.

CHARLIE!

Post by CHARLIE! » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:45 pm

Yeah I am looking for something similar as well.

David

Post by David » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 pm

Where there is a will there is way...

A while back I spent many cold dark lonely red wine soaked (and the occasional whisky) nights working out how to do that very thing... 0db at 12 O'clock, -48db (or whatever) at 8 O'clock and +6dB at 5 O'clock..

Was quite fun actually when I cracked it... a slightly corroded liver, and a rather bewildered outlook on life was the cost, but still I think the +'ves far out weighed the -'ves...

Yes, the good old knob rotation trick....

wackraps

Post by wackraps » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:36 pm

David wrote:Where there is a will there is way...

A while back I spent many cold dark lonely red wine soaked (and the occasional whisky) nights working out how to do that very thing... 0db at 12 O'clock, -48db (or whatever) at 8 O'clock and +6dB at 5 O'clock..

Was quite fun actually when I cracked it... a slightly corroded liver, and a rather bewildered outlook on life was the cost, but still I think the +'ves far out weighed the -'ves...

So are you saying you have a solution? or you just drank til you didn't care?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:56 pm

David

Post by David » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:35 am

wackraps wrote:

Yes I found a solution. I'd drank a wee bit too, but I always cared ;]

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:21 am

The ony solution is to run through a mixer, having used live for mixing for some time I have yet to find anything that performs as wel as the EQ's you find on a mixer... I'm sure there woud be a way to recreate these EQ's in live but I have neither the skill nor the patience to do it (I have tried... and failed) so I would suggest splitting the sound coming out of live and into a mixer, this does limit you to 4 channels (or less if you have a smaller mixer) but for mixing I find I don't need more than the 4 (2 for tracks and 2 for clips/loops).
Live 7, Sony Vaio, limited talent, limited budget, limitless enthusiasm. :D
http://twitter.com/funkydoolah

wackraps

Post by wackraps » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:47 pm

David wrote:
wackraps wrote:

Yes I found a solution. I'd drank a wee bit too, but I always cared ;]
And that solution is...?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:48 pm

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz