Anyone using Intel i7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mdk

Re: Anyone using Intel i7?

Post by mdk » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:52 am

macmurphy wrote:
mdk wrote:what mobo are you overclocked people using? :)
I'm using an Asus P6T Deluxe v2. Like i said, i got the company who built it, Scan, to do the overclocking for me. That way it's under guarantee if anything goes wrong. They charge £80 to overclock it to a quicker speed than the 975 extreme which is £471.00 more expensive :D
thats a good deal. nice to have a guarantee for an oc'ed system. I think availability of decent hardware and suppliers is the only thing i miss about the UK ;)
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

UnderwaterSunlight

Post by UnderwaterSunlight » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Hello Ilia.
You posted like this:
"just did a new build with an i7 920. overclocks on stock voltage to 3.66 out of the box, stays cool, fast, stable. yes, it's worth it."

As I am getting an i7 system next week, I'd like to ask you some questions:

1) Software-wise, did you only have to change the multiplier in the BIOS, leaving all other parameters unaltered ?

2) Hardware-wise, did you have to change anything when you oc'ed this rig ? I imagine the cooling would need to be adapted ? Or wouldn't it ?

3) I am already anticipating a substantial (read: monstrous) change from my current lowly P-IV system. Am I right in that ? Please be specific as to how many plugins/ tracks/ FX you can work with now...

Thank you .
Sonicdawn
Apple MacBook Air M2 (2022), 24 GB RAM, 1TB internal SSD, MacOS 12 Monterey (up-to-date), Ableton 11 Standard (up-to-date), NI Komplete 14, Steinberg UR22 mkII

chis

Post by chis » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:41 pm

Just a quick note of props for Scan. Been buying with them for YEARS, and have had very satisfactory service. A few RMAs here and there and they were always dealth with in swift time.

Interested to see that they do in-house i7 overclocks with warranty cover though! Now I just need the money... (A Q6600 has been serving me well, but my projects are starting to tip it over 60% now I'm using convolution reverb!