recommend me CD decks? (probly 4use with a DVS)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bendybones

recommend me CD decks? (probly 4use with a DVS)

Post by bendybones » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:40 pm

I basically want the convenience of turning up to a DJ set with nothing but some CDs - no cabling, no rearranging gear to make room.
(In saying that, i will probly go Serato ASAP... but still... less hsssle)

I have no previous experience with decks.
I see alot of clubs have the Pioneer 1000mk3's
If I get the (way cheaper) 100s to practice on and turn up to a club with a set of 1000s installed will I know what I'm doing?
I mean, how similar are they?

For that matter, how about using a Vestax VCI 100 to control Serato for practicing...
Would that be enough to know where I'm at with a pair of 1000s or 100s when I turn up to a club?

Thanks much,
B
Last edited by bendybones on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

bendybones

Re: recommend me CD decks? (probly 4use with a DVS)

Post by bendybones » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Bump.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:39 pm

I think for basic mixing you will be fine using cheaper decks for practice, then using the 1000's at a club.

But, if you want to get more complex and do creative tweaks, you probably won't have enough confidence.

But... the latest version of Serato is loaded with fun tweaky stuff, so you can get creative in the software. I would say go for some cheap basic CDJ with good pitch control.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:50 pm

The CDJ-200 would be fine:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... rs/CDJ-200

If you can go up to a CDJ-400, it's an offical Scratch Live controller:
http://www.pioneerprodj.com/dj-equipment/cd/cdj-400.asp

But the "offical" thing is no big deal. A lot of people use the Korg Nano stuff to control SSL.

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:59 pm

Although in principle the CDJ100 and 1000 are the same thing they are really quite different to use. I would recommend looking for a second hand set of 1000's (MK3's) if you don't want to fork out the cash for them new. The main advantage of the MK3 is that it plays MP3 so you don't have as many CD's to carry around. I'm sure you could find a lot of other CD decks at a much lower price but you will find Pioneers in almost every club for a reason.
Live 7, Sony Vaio, limited talent, limited budget, limitless enthusiasm. :D
http://twitter.com/funkydoolah

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:35 pm

aye pioneers,

I ended up swapping my Final scratch set up for Cdjs after playing at a club where there was loads of bass feedback in the box, after loads of pissing about I was able to spin tunes, no proper vinyl but through FS. Still a few calibration problems here and there. They rocked up stuck a cd in and started slamming it, all they brought was their headphones and a cd wallet.

i was converted on the spot. Makes life so much easier!

Saying that am now starting to think that Serato might be the way in conjunction with CDj's. . . And ableton :)
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Minimal Justice System wrote:Although in principle the CDJ100 and 1000 are the same thing they are really quite different to use. I would recommend looking for a second hand set of 1000's (MK3's) if you don't want to fork out the cash for them new. The main advantage of the MK3 is that it plays MP3 so you don't have as many CD's to carry around. I'm sure you could find a lot of other CD decks at a much lower price but you will find Pioneers in almost every club for a reason.
He wants to use Serato. All the MP3's are in the laptop. You put timecode CDs into the CDJ's and you're done.

All you need from the deck is start/stop and pitch. Spending huge $$$ on 1000's doesn't seem necessary.

Used DJ gear is a gamble. People tend to beat the crap out of DJ gear.

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
Minimal Justice System wrote:Although in principle the CDJ100 and 1000 are the same thing they are really quite different to use. I would recommend looking for a second hand set of 1000's (MK3's) if you don't want to fork out the cash for them new. The main advantage of the MK3 is that it plays MP3 so you don't have as many CD's to carry around. I'm sure you could find a lot of other CD decks at a much lower price but you will find Pioneers in almost every club for a reason.
He wants to use Serato. All the MP3's are in the laptop. You put timecode CDs into the CDJ's and you're done.

All you need from the deck is start/stop and pitch. Spending huge $$$ on 1000's doesn't seem necessary.

Used DJ gear is a gamble. People tend to beat the crap out of DJ gear.
I've yet to break a CDJ and I've had a few... I tend not to beat the crap out of something I spent over a grand on though?? I guess if you want to use Serato you could get the cheapest CD deck out there in theory but I still would go for a second hand set of CDJ MK3's.....
Live 7, Sony Vaio, limited talent, limited budget, limitless enthusiasm. :D
http://twitter.com/funkydoolah

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Rave wrote:or MK 2s. The big wheel really makes a difference
Would that be the 800 Mk2s?

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:56 pm

Not that I would recommend Gemini, but, it's pretty cool that hybrid CDJ/Vinyl Turntables actually exist now:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... able_.html

I hear you about the CDJ-1000, but if it came down to either buying a used set of CDJ-1000 but no Serato VS. buying a pair of CDJ-200 and Serato, then I would definitely get the 200's and Scratch Live.

Rattmouth

Post by Rattmouth » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:43 pm

I would definitely recommend the CDJ-800. I have owned both the Mk1's and the Mk2's.

The main difference between them is that the Mk2 plays mp3 CDs (which is completely useless for those of us that use DVS setups). The Mk2 also has the newer/tighter jog wheel to it, which is a pretty big plus. With the Mk1 you could spin the wheel and it would spin forever. The Mk2 has a more realistic amount of resistance to it, and naturally slows down for backspins and stuff. This is the same as the 1000's I think.

The Mk2 is a LOT more expensive than the Mk1 was tho. I have no idea why the price went up so much.

Look for some used Mk2's online first. If you can't find them, look for used Mk1's. If all else fails, get new Mk2's.

I would recommend that you not mix and match the two models either. The different platters will feel strange to go back and forth between.

Good luck!
--Matt

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:55 pm

if you want to use a dvs - forget the cdjs... Vestax vci300 + traktor pro is THE shit now ;) (dunno bout the price though - where i live its pretty much okay for what it offers). Cdjs + dvs or midi + dvs that makes no difference (at least to me), and remember the fact that you'll always be using the same hardware no matter where you go.

vci100 is a lot less accurate that the 300... smthg like 0.1 vs 0.02 (128 positions vs well, a lot more, totally forgot), plus it has the interface built in

jake noise

Post by jake noise » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:21 pm

Another vote for 800 mk2's if you can't stump the cash for 1000's. They're reasonably close to the 1000's in layout and spec and jumping up to play 1000's in a club isn't daunting at all. That said there is a difference in setting hot cues if I remember correctly, it's been an age since I've played out on 1000's ableton all the way for me now. Having said that as someone else noted above there is a lot to be said for being able to turn up with a wallet of cd's and a pair of headphones and get going pretty instantly (bar setting up the cdj's as people do have differing preferences like vinyl or cd mode).
MBP 2.4, Live 7, Logic 8, Maschine, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD 25 1 II, M-Audio Fasttrack Pro, Komplete 6, Novation Nocturn, Alesis Micron, Jap Fender Jaguar, lots of guitar pedals...

MrShine

Post by MrShine » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:41 pm

Ignore the 1000's...they are over priced hype imho and I've used 200's, 800's and 1000's and they are no way ' better ' than a similar styled Denon or Technics deck, in fact they lack creativity...but that's for another thread no doubt.

If you're just going to be using it to control a software program with timecode then a perfectly decent set of Gemini's, Denon's ( DNS1200 ) or small Pioneer ( the 200 are pretty good ) will be more than enough for you...it isn't worth you spending lots on a CD deck if it's not going to be your main source of music outlet...these days the prices are way to high for what essentially is a dated system ( Pioneer again! ).

Good luck :D

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:57 pm

@ Minimal Justice System

Want to lend me a pair of 1000s?

ill come and collect them.. ive a xone 4d but want to learn the cdjs before i start hoofing a laptop and xone to gigs
:lol: