Max for LIVE price speculations...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AceLuby

Re: Max for LIVE price speculations...?

Post by AceLuby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:14 pm

They'll price it out to where they'll think 25-50% of us would be able to get it right away and start making patches and cool shit. It also leaves some room for 'deals' to get the rest of the people that really want it later. My guess is that price point will be around $399, roughly the cost of the APC.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:38 pm

AceLuby wrote:They'll price it out to where they'll think 25-50% of us would be able to get it right away and start making patches and cool shit. It also leaves some room for 'deals' to get the rest of the people that really want it later. My guess is that price point will be around $399, roughly the cost of the APC.
I hope you are correct. Still, it is going to seem odd for those of us who are used to building max apps for use with live to shell out a lot of money- just to have max from within live. It would feel like another paid upgrade and I hope that it is priced accordingly.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:41 pm

LOFA wrote:
AceLuby wrote:They'll price it out to where they'll think 25-50% of us would be able to get it right away and start making patches and cool shit. It also leaves some room for 'deals' to get the rest of the people that really want it later. My guess is that price point will be around $399, roughly the cost of the APC.
I hope you are correct. Still, it is going to seem odd for those of us who are used to building max apps for use with live to shell out a lot of money- just to have max from within live. It would feel like another paid upgrade and I hope that it is priced accordingly.

According to Cycling '74 there will be an 'upgrade' price for those that already own a Max license.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Zygi wrote:IMO there should be a M4L runtime for a reasonable price... .
+1

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:56 pm

AceLuby wrote:
LOFA wrote:

According to Cycling '74 there will be an 'upgrade' price for those that already own a Max license.
Thank you

BBScience

Post by BBScience » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:59 pm

People suggesting 99$ are crazy, consider that the cost of ONE standalone Abe instrument is 100$ and up. Why would they provide you the tech to build these and infinite more toys for the same price as operator or analog?

I vote for 299$. Priced high enough to make them $$$$, cheap enough that the average live user will eventually purchase it.

If it is in fact 299 or higher, I will not be purchasing it immediately. Having paid for a full version and 3 upgrades in the past, I'm slightly bitter about the total sum of money I've invested in live to not own a single instrument. Where as a new suite user would pay about 1/2 of my total and own everything. I understand having promotions (summer of sampler, free operator) to draw in new users but it would be nice to throw a little lovin at your loyal upgraders.

Might even convince some people who are still on the fence about upgrading to 8 to take the plunge.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:45 pm

I love the 'If it's not priced how I want them to price it, I'm not interested' comments! I don't know how much it'll cost; whatever it is, I won't be able to afford it... £99 or £499! Hell, I haven't even upgraded to Live 8 yet... bought AudioMulch 2 and Bidule instead!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

jer_mcclain

Post by jer_mcclain » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:46 pm

Taken from the Cycling74 site. Not sure this indicates ANYTHING AT ALL, but i post it for discussion purposes

"If you own Max when you want to buy Max for Live, you will get a discount, as we said above. We will also provide a special price to Max for Live users who decide to upgrade to Max. The total amount you would spend buying both products will be roughly the same, regardless of which product you buy first. However, if you think you are interested in Max beyond using it inside Live, we encourage you to try it out now. Our goal is to use fair pricing that does not leave anyone unhappy. But, please note that our prices are subject to change without notice, and we have not announced Max for Live prices. "
MacBook Pro - Live Suite - Mira - APC40 - Apogee Duet - Grado SR325i

1nfinitezer0

Post by 1nfinitezer0 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:44 pm

great info paraclude! gives a pretty good idea of what to expect.
here's to hoping there are some good package deals for upgrading; to catch the rest of us who're too poor to upgrade but would gladly eat only rice and beans for months to get on the live train early. ~; )
(desculpas a todos os brasileiros)

jer_mcclain

Post by jer_mcclain » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:35 pm

$349 for those who do not have a Max 5 license
$199 for those who do

lets assume that Ableton has a standard for pricing policy on instruments developed by/with a third party. AAS ultra analog, string studio and lounge lizard list for $229. pricing for the Live equivalents is $159, roughly ~30% off the standalone product. 30% gets us close to $349 if we assume similar pricing for M4L.
MacBook Pro - Live Suite - Mira - APC40 - Apogee Duet - Grado SR325i

globalk

Post by globalk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:22 am

Who wants to start the "Max for Live release date speculations...?" thread?

globalk

Post by globalk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:27 am

edit: over excited double post. Sorry y'all
Last edited by globalk on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:28 am

globalk wrote:Who wants to start the "Max for Live release date speculations...?" thread?
Let's start it now, around 1st to 2nd week of December...LOL
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:05 am

timothyallan wrote:My sources say that if you wait 3 weeks till after you buy it, Ableon will offer it free with a Live 8 purchase.
sad but kinda true...
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

zalo

Post by zalo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:14 am

i was thinking about it today, a movie here is 8 dollars

as long as this equation is equal then ill be alright with the price of M4L

x=price of M4L

y=hours of enjoyment using M4L

x/8=y/2

so assuming i will use it at least an hour a day, ill say a minimum of 365 hours

so it will be worth at least 1460 dollars

anything less is going to be a steal