OT: Zoloft and anxiety/panic attacks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nuxnamon

OT: Zoloft and anxiety/panic attacks

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:53 am

anyone else care to share their experiences.. I've been on zoloft for almost a year and haven't had any major attacks since.. But I don't want to keep taking it for the rest of my life. I also get the side effect of night sweats in which i wake up everynight drenched in sweat.. around 3 am to be specific about 5-6 times a week. I asked my doctor who said the benefits still outweigh the negatives and said i should keep taking it.. i've been meditating alot and I think I am ready to go off the meds but it's the worst feeling if those attacks come.. to think that all this started because a girl left me (well, that's what my shrink said).. enough venting.. you guys know more now about me than my family and friends.. i just didn't want them to think i was crazy cuz zoloft is one of those drugs a step away from prozac. you know how family and friends gossip so i just didn't want to deal. only one that knows is my girl who feels everytime i have a attack, she thinks I still have feelings for the ex.. if anyone has any advice(about the anxiety, not the girl), feel free to share.. if your not comfortable here in the forum, just PM me..

kechambe

Re: OT: Zoloft and anxiety/panic attacks

Post by kechambe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:37 am

Your story is almost identical to mine. In 2003 I was dating a girl for just a couple months but was head over heals. Then one day she ended it for no apparent reason. Within days panic attacks started. They were TERRIBLE. My doctor put me on Lexapro and 2-3 weeks later the panic attacks stopped. But my mind continued to loop over and over again about the breakup. I tried to understand why she broke up with me but there was no answer. Over time I got over her.

After a few years on the Lexapro I didn't feel like myself anymore. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and things were back to normal. A couple more years passed and I continued to feel like I didn't need it. I have a great job, great family, great friends, etc. So 3-4 months ago I went off the Wellbutrin and for a while all was well.

Just recently I started dating a girl that I'm again head over heals for. She a catch -- attractive, successful, extremely bright, and we have amazing physical chemistry. She clearly likes me but she's very independent and wasn't looking for a relationship. After a month of hanging out everything was great. Then she suddenly started pulling away at times saying she felt like it was too much too soon. It brought those same feelings of anxiety back -- and then I had another mild panic attack so I new I had to take action. 3 weeks ago I went back on the Wellbutrin.

Now that I'm on Wellbutrin again I'm able to chill out and give her the space she needs. I don't hang on every little word she says and worry in an endless loop. And I'm happy to say that things between us are going very well again. I'm so thankful I went back on the Wellbutrin.

My honest advice is to not give a damn what other people thing about you. You are you. I feel no shame about my problems and you shouldn't either. None of us a perfect. And those that would belittle you because you are taking charge of a legitimate and serious metal heath issue have their own issues -- trust me.

Will I be on Wellbutrin for the rest of my life??? Probably not. If I am will it be the end of the World? Nope.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:07 am

hm,
no panic attacks here but breakups seem to be the major triggers for psychiatric problems.
i was REALLY depressed when my ex ditched me. i stayed in bed for about two weeks doing nothing and then started doing prozac.
after three months everything went to normal and i stopped doing prozac. now its cool again.

najemsworb

Post by najemsworb » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:21 am

Medication can help for sure. But it will never to the same job as psychotherapy or psychoanalysis. They are long processes which effects aren't obvious from the start but after some years it prevents from living same complicated anxious stories and repeating them. I recommand to choose well and avoid the enormous amount of therapist who are in fact small gurus. Choose a genuine Freudian one. And by the way it's expensive too... But it has effects.
About your stories, some women are just looking for someone to make them feel desirable but they don't want to hear about physical relation, it makes them ill at ease. Some men too...

Cheers. Najem
Last edited by najemsworb on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fraction

Post by fraction » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Have not tried the drugs you describe but I have been on other anxiety pills.

But for about one year now I have been drug free and living life. The pills just make me numb, dont care about anything when I am on them, no happiness, sorrow, and most of all no inspiration to work with. And I finally decided enough is enough, I am the boss of me, and no damn panic disorder is going to stop me. My fears were based around the fear of having
a heart attack, a few years earlier while driving i got major chestpains while in a tunnel in heavy traffick and that is what gave me the panic attacks afterwards. Went to several doctors and everything was just fine and dandy with my health and my heart.

So i did the things i fear the most, got on crowded trains, busses you name it. All thos situations that made me have panick attacks I faced them and I won. It was damn hard but the trick is to master the fear and take controll when you feel the attack comming. I know the feeling is terrible at first but once you get your mind into a rational thinking pattern it is easier to controll the situation.

So for me I hated busses, trains, subways and thats where I went, when the panic started to rear it's ugly head I started telling myselfe that there is nothing here to panic about, and just keep trying to think rational about it. Now I am aware of what my anxiety is based upon so knowing that i am perfectly healthy is a big help in winning over the disorder.

This worked for me but might not work for you. The best thing that you can do is to see a shrink who speciality is anxiety and panick disorder. They will help you sort out what the problem is and give you the tools to defeat them.
(pardon the english it's my second language)

Frac

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:32 pm

Ever since my mom died, I have heart palpitations sometimes. I've done some reading on them and seen doctors, and basically the best thing is to NOT think about them. The more I think about them the worse they get.....heart attack anxiety just makes my heart beat faster! Now when I get that tight feeling I have to consciously make an effort to breathe deeply, relax, and remind myself that everything is going to be ok, I'm ok.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:49 pm

I would like to start by stating emphatically that what I know/believe is NOT always the same as what I do personally. In many ways as a human being I am as upside down as the next guy, but what I am about to convey here is of the utmost importance. Especially if you are 25 years old or younger. If you are, I HIGHLY recommend staying away from SSRIs. Talk to someone who has been on them for over a few years and ask them if they ever tried to stop.

The older I get, the more I am beginning to understand myself. That doesn't mean I'm superman and can necessarily leap the tall buildings of my ego, nor does it mean that I can always out pace the speeding bullet of my impulsive nature. It just means that the bigger picture is getting a great deal clearer all the time.

The following is directed at those who have experienced the crushing blow of a terminated relationship:

I want you to think about how you felt when you were the most shattered. If you could liken yourself as an imagined outline of a solid human form, what would be the defining characteristic of that being's solid form when you were at the peak of despair?

I bet, after thinking about the imaginary being for a given period of time, most of us would see a big hole right through the middle of this being. This hole in the whole is what some liken to an emptiness or bottomless pit. Why do you think this is?

clarknova

Post by clarknova » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:53 pm

I was touring alot with a band while I had an extreme fear of flying. I thought it would get better the more I flew, but I couldn't get on top of it and finally my nerves came up and slapped me in the face. I started having panic attacks and my doctor prescribed anti-depressants. I've been off and on a few times, but I prefer being off. I've had therapy for a few years and all this has made things better, but I still have a lot of anxiety in me. I often fear having a heart attack or some sort of brain seizure. The heart attack fear is probably because my dad died of this. And my fear of flying came the day after he died. It's all connected somehow.

The things that seem to work for me is excercise - it blows off alot of the adrenaline that causes anxiety, and if you can - stay away from nicotine, caffeine and suger. It triggers anxiety. Drink a lot of water everyday - it helps the brain produce serotine. Meditation is good. Show emotions as often as you can. Talking about them helps a little, but showing them is where it's at. Cry, laugh etc. As much as possible.

And now I will try taking my own advice as well. I smoke, drink coffee and eat a lot of sugar. I almost never meditate. I'm trying to excercise, but I'm lazy. And I never show any emotions.

Good luck to you. And remember, when you start telling people about your anxiety, you'll be amazed at the number of people who say they have it too.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:17 pm

+1 to emotional triggers. I had a very stressful job that involved lots of phone calls when my mom died. Now whenever I hear that ring tone I was using at the time it immediately triggers an anxiety reaction. Actually it's gotten better over the last couple of years, but it's taken time. I could easily see how the stress and grief of losing a parent could get linked to anxiety about flying....all the emotions you must have felt on that airplane...

+1 to exercise and avoiding nicotine, sugar, caffeine. I've been doing some reading on adrenal fatigue (which is not a very recognized condition by mainstream medicine) because I've never really been the same since my mom died (also had very stressful gig preparation, getting married, stressful job, grandmother died...all at the same time) and I think I may have adrenal fatigue. Basically it's when you get so incredibly stressed over a long period that your adrenal gland never really catches up and so you don't recover. Recommended treatment includes staying away from caffeine, sugar, nicotine, and stress, plus exercise. Also recommended are 7-8 hours sleep a night with a regular sleep schedule, sleeping until at 9am as much as possible, avoiding pot (which stresses the liver and the brain, and yet it seems to help me relax), and a high protein diet.

ghast

Post by ghast » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:35 pm

i stopped taking medication(paxil, effexor) a few years ago, but i built some protection in to my plan. I gave my wife some xanax to hold on to, in case an attack came. Anyone who likes to party even a little cannot possibly be trusted to hold on to xanax for an emergency, thats why I gave them to her. i've never had an attack that xanax couldn't just shut right off. panic attacks are the worst. i'd almost rather get hit by a car.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:06 pm

For the past 2 years I've been on a solid prescription of Not Dating with occasional doses of Hooking Up. Best decision I ever made and I'm mad I didn't do it years before that. I don't know how anybody can see the world of failing relationships around them that's exponentially getting worse and go "Cool! I want to do that!". I wouldn't be upset about the break up or how/what happened, I'd be pissed it left me with a long term crutch drug habit.

And yes I've had these panic attacks and been on meds in the past. Next time you even consider getting involved with somebody seriously remember where you are right now. See it for the unhealthy emotional addiction that it is.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:05 pm

beats me wrote:For the past 2 years I've been on a solid prescription of Not Dating with occasional doses of Hooking Up. Best decision I ever made and I'm mad I didn't do it years before that. I don't know how anybody can see the world of failing relationships around them that's exponentially getting worse and go "Cool! I want to do that!". I wouldn't be upset about the break up or how/what happened, I'd be pissed it left me with a long term crutch drug habit.

And yes I've had these panic attacks and been on meds in the past. Next time you even consider getting involved with somebody seriously remember where you are right now. See it for the unhealthy emotional addiction that it is.
sounds like she really messed you up. i've also gone thru the "FU%$ relationships" phase.. but you know what, when you least expect, some girl is gonna open back up that broken heart of yours that you've closed due to that one girl.. WHOA!! I think I just channeled Dr. Phil or something.. but yeah, basically, you can't pick who your gonna love.. anyways, glad your off the meds.. something I am still slowly working on.

to all the others, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. feels good that you guys have had similar experiences. you guys are like my new support group!! You know what I've been fearing.. is when I perform on stage and afraid I might get an anxiety attack during the performance.. maybe that's what alcohol is for.. weed? does alcohol or weed help with anxiety? I don't drink much at all and don't smoke anymore so I wouldn't know..

CR78

Post by CR78 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:41 pm

A few tips for anyone taking benzodiazepines on a regular/daily basis: klonopin,ativan,xanax,valium.

NEVER,EVER stop taking them cold turkey

Talk with your doc before stopping and he/she will help you set up a tapering off doseage regimen.
Withdrawal can be nasty: severe dizziness/sweats/light headedness.

Also, those who are having or have had panic attacks make sure you are well hydrated every day:WATER. The best way to know: you're pissing clear or just a tinge of yellow.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:37 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:The older I get, the more I am beginning to understand myself. That doesn't mean I'm superman and can necessarily leap the tall buildings of my ego, nor does it mean that I can always out pace the speeding bullet of my impulsive nature. It just means that the bigger picture is getting a great deal clearer all the time.
Your on to it here man.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:40 pm

ethios4 wrote: high protein diet.
Heck yeah, nothing calms the nerves like a high quality juicy burger!