OT: Zoloft and anxiety/panic attacks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hyerstay

Re: OT: Zoloft and anxiety/panic attacks

Post by hyerstay » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:51 pm

I would like to read this whole thread, but I don't have time at the moment. Here is my very brief experience/advice:

I tried Zoloft in college and I was very sensitive to any missed dosing, or change of schedule. When I ran out, I went into worse depression/anxiety before I could get a refill, and it was rough.

I am now on Wellbutrin (well, buproprion generics) and it has worked much more smoothly for me. If I miss a dose, no big deal, as long as I get back on schedule.

Don't be fixated on "getting off the meds". They are just tools, and if you need them, that's ok. If you feel like you might not need them, talk to your doctor, and maybe just reduce your dose. Give a couple of months to see if it makes any difference.

Good luck!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:09 am

nuxnamon wrote:
beats me wrote:For the past 2 years I've been on a solid prescription of Not Dating with occasional doses of Hooking Up. Best decision I ever made and I'm mad I didn't do it years before that. I don't know how anybody can see the world of failing relationships around them that's exponentially getting worse and go "Cool! I want to do that!". I wouldn't be upset about the break up or how/what happened, I'd be pissed it left me with a long term crutch drug habit.

And yes I've had these panic attacks and been on meds in the past. Next time you even consider getting involved with somebody seriously remember where you are right now. See it for the unhealthy emotional addiction that it is.
sounds like she really messed you up. i've also gone thru the "FU%$ relationships" phase.. but you know what, when you least expect, some girl is gonna open back up that broken heart of yours that you've closed due to that one girl.. WHOA!! I think I just channeled Dr. Phil or something.. but yeah, basically, you can't pick who your gonna love.. anyways, glad your off the meds.. something I am still slowly working on.

to all the others, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. feels good that you guys have had similar experiences. you guys are like my new support group!! You know what I've been fearing.. is when I perform on stage and afraid I might get an anxiety attack during the performance.. maybe that's what alcohol is for.. weed? does alcohol or weed help with anxiety? I don't drink much at all and don't smoke anymore so I wouldn't know..
It wasn't a she. I've been through the End Of The World breakup about a half dozen times in my life and sprinkled between those were relationships I cut loose. All vastly different women in values, style, and background. So enough already. I'm no longer bitter about it, just not interested. The only thing I get bitter about is mopping up the mess after my friends go through the same thing....repeatedly.

There are some friends' relationships I admire, but they are so few and far between. All I'm saying is society has to stop with it's obsession with arrangements that don't work, and more importantly stop making people feel like they have a void if it's not there. There are so many other things to enjoy in life, and things you have more control over.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:52 am

I came close to needing "meds" during a particular phase of my life......I probably still do
I opted to experiment with naturopathic alternatives due to egotistical stigma of being on "medication" ( I also have an aunt who is essentially a drone from meds)
I took 5htp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan and did yoga....
Both helped tremendously....... Then I thought I got a handle on my issues and stopped.....
Lifestyle stuff realized how complicated and interconnected psychology and physiology are.....
I am a pot addict, a coffee addict, love sugar, sometimes am a night owl..... I seem to do all the things that bring on these states of being..... No pill will fix this unless I get to root of the problem.
Some people have the brain chemistry that can handle drugs like pot. I envy you as I love the stuff, but truth be told it is what makes me feel as low as I sometimes do......coupled with coffee and sugar, and I become up/down.

@ beats me....... your statement is very true! 8)
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:36 am

I recently went through a breakup that caused me to take a lot of meds -------------- all at once, followed by a pair freshly opened bottles of red wine.

Fuck these bitches!

Ladies, lock up your chastity belts, sparklepuff is on the loose.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

channelite

Post by channelite » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:29 am

I used to be not right, having anxiety attacks, could not cope unless I had something. Alcohol or some sort of drug. My faith was in a pill. I took prozac and said as long as I take this pill, I will be OK. Before that it was alcohol. I have not had a drink or a pill since 1997. No prozac, living life with the great highs and lows as well. The answer.. The Great Power of the Universe.. AKA God!! Here's a verse from the bible that I use to fight away low self esteem and anxiety:

Philippians 4:8 (New International Version)

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Meaning God gives good stuff. Evil, negativity, anxiety is not from God. Think about good things. Have faith in the unknown. Seek the right way.

Also seek a support group, maybe a 12 step group.

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:28 am

Has anyone felt that the psychiatric drugs took away their creativity? I've heard from alot of people that this is the case. I've been so stressed lately I feel like a I can't concentrate I'm hoping to score some aderall and I've heard some anti depressents help you focus more. I just hope it doesn't interfere with my motivation to make music.
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

fraction

Post by fraction » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 am

funknotik wrote:Has anyone felt that the psychiatric drugs took away their creativity? I've heard from alot of people that this is the case. I've been so stressed lately I feel like a I can't concentrate I'm hoping to score some aderall and I've heard some anti depressents help you focus more. I just hope it doesn't interfere with my motivation to make music.
The pills I took killed all my creativity and sexdrive :P Now that I am off them im like a walking sexmonster and tunes keep popping in my head all the time.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:27 am

funknotik wrote:Has anyone felt that the psychiatric drugs took away their creativity? I've heard from alot of people that this is the case. I've been so stressed lately I feel like a I can't concentrate I'm hoping to score some aderall and I've heard some anti depressents help you focus more. I just hope it doesn't interfere with my motivation to make music.
nah, dont think so. if i remember right. i finished two tunes and wanked over anal vids once in a while. but it was just a few months i were on prozac.

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Try dealing with a thing called depersonalization 24/7... its great.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:43 pm

najemsworb wrote:Medication can help for sure. But it will never to the same job as psychotherapy or psychoanalysis. They are long processes which effects aren't obvious from the start but after some years it prevents from living same complicated anxious stories and repeating them. I recommand to choose well and avoid the enormous amount of therapist who are in fact small gurus. Choose a genuine Freudian one. And by the way it's expensive too... But it has effects.
About your stories, some women are just looking for someone to make them feel desirable but they don't want to hear about physical relation, it makes them ill at ease. Some men too...

Cheers. Najem
Obviously many medications are overprescribed, but that doesn't take anything away from the seriousness of mental health issues. I totally agree that medication is often necessary but I feel that it should always go with talk therapy. Meds are used as a cost effective replacement too often, but talk therapy is expensive and takes time. One of the many problems with the insurance industry is that they won't pay for things like therapy which are actually preventative. Get people help and you will prevent much worse medical problems in the future, but it seems like insurance companies aren't concerned with people's health whatsoever. Anxiety and depression are deadly serious issues so don't ever feel bad about getting help, it's the strong and wise thing to do. Would anyone question a diabetic for taking insulin? If you can at all afford it, I really do recommend talking to someone as well, sure couldn't hurt. You gotta find the right therapist for you though, that's key. Anyway, just some thoughts. Hope things are good and everybody take care.

importedearthman

Post by importedearthman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:38 pm

@Sack: +1 on the depersonalization and I'll one up you on that too. Depersonalized schizophrenic.

The real deal sets in when you can't remember anything about anything. Not even how to speak in words. After a while all you want to do is shit your own pants because you think it might bring back a memory or two from your past. Maybe of your Mother changing you. Oh ya, I remember now, I have a Mom. And I can think.

Then you become conscious enough to reality and realize your arms and legs are strapped to a hospital bed. You are being asked who you are and the situation turns REALLY BAD because you can't remember. Hours of strange people dressed in foreign costumes asking you what your name is and all you can muster is "I don't know" which after a while turns into a very angry "If fucking knew... I would fucking tell you."

Then you laugh at yourself because you remember what its like to feel an emotion like anger, wonder how many others emotions there are and get angry because you can't remember. Stuck in that brain loop for what seems like an eternity.

They think your insane and talk about what to do with you long term.

You really need to figure out how to get out of this mess. After 5 hours of varying states of consciousness you make up a name to give them so they'll let you go. It happens to be you're real name you just don't know it yet because you can't remember who you are.

The last thing I remember about that episode was walking out the door, handing a watch to a cop, and thanking him for the wonderful time.

Alcoholism is an effective way to deal with depersonalized schizophrenia for me. I don't recommend it. It might not work for any of you.

Thanks for the therapy session guys.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:37 pm

Ball Sack wrote:Try dealing with a thing called depersonalization 24/7... its great.
wow, that's pretty horrible/scary stuff. I had never heard of that attribute of depression/anxiety before. What have you found to be the best way to "deal" with it?

ghast

Post by ghast » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:00 pm

f***ing absolutely! Zoloft, Effexor, Paxil. They are all pretty similar drugs and they all give you that feeling like you just aren't really there. All I could really manage to do was lay on the couch. Forget making any tracks for the first month, its kinda heavy. The effects are way better than killing yourself, but your quality of life will be reduced. You FEEL like you are on something, and not in a good way.
Wellbutrin (bupropion) is definitely the way to go. It doesn't knock you into another zone, it helps you focus, it makes you horny, and if you're lucky, it can turn you manic.
:twisted:

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:21 pm

after group therapy, the first drug they put me on was welbuterin.. that made me feel funny and it gave me more panic attacks for some reason.. I am now on zoloft where I am taking the lowest dose possible.. I really don't feel any different from it except that I haven't had any major attacks since.. I don't get that feeling of "I'm not really here" which some of you get which I guess is good.. I am down to taking it 1x every other day to ease my self off from the drug.. the only side effects I do get is it that affects my sex drive a bit.. not too much, but enough for me to notice that it is lower.. other than that, it's just night sweats.. affecting creativity?? I don't think so.. If anything it has improved my creativity because i am not worried as much about getting panic attacks, so i focus more on music.. Anyways, i am kinda glad to hear that I am not alone with this anxiety thing.. i guess it's more common than i thought.. I do wish everyone well.. One thing to add is breathing exercises and meditation does help me as well as listening to tracks like "liquid mind" by chuck wild is very calming.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:17 am

There seems to be some kind of taboo about taking medication for mental health issues, especially long term. For any other medical condition (migraines, blood pressure etc) its not a problem, the doctor prescribes the pills and you take them. But when its a mental health issue most people don't like the idea of taking medication for it. Not sure why this is the case, but I was the same for a long time.

I think the important thing is to talk to your doctor and therapist (counsellor, psychiatrist or whatever) about it. Make sure you know what you are taking and why, talk about other options (different types of medication or other treatments) and ensure you're happy with how its being treated.

I've got an anxiety disorder and was on four different medications at one point as things got pretty messy. I've now pretty much got it under control but I've always got some valium on hand just in case and plan to for as long as I think I might need it - which is likely to be a very long time. The anxiety has made my life a nightmare for 20 years, I've now got it under control and don't want to rock the boat.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4