Ableton 8 slow for load sets...........

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dj-Grobe

Ableton 8 slow for load sets...........

Post by Dj-Grobe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:31 am

Hello, wy ableotn 8 take 3 times more time for load set?
If i compare with ableton 7, take 3 or 4times more time to load same set!

And why when install8, install libs take 25 minutes for install !!
Something is wrong with 8........?

Some things run really slow and use more cpu.

Michael Hatsis

Re: Ableton 8 slow for load sets...........

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:28 am

don't know about the library - but sets take darn near forever to load up in Live 8, the app takes waaaaaay longer to load than Live 7 too. Thought it was just me. Anyone else experience this?

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:31 am

The library i detected the machine is configured to low cpu poewer, and that cause the instal run more, slow, anyway is slow.
But sets !! take long time......

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:35 am

It takes longer because of the extra awesomeness. Get a RAID setup.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:45 am

timothyallan wrote:It takes longer because of the extra awesomeness. Get a RAID setup.

There's gotta be a lot of awesomeness I don't know about then. Is this that physically modeled bob katz mastering synth you were talking about. Does this come with Live 8 or do i have to get the suite.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:52 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:
timothyallan wrote:It takes longer because of the extra awesomeness. Get a RAID setup.

There's gotta be a lot of awesomeness I don't know about then. Is this that physically modeled bob katz mastering synth you were talking about. Does this come with Live 8 or do i have to get the suite.
:lol: I reckon it's gotta be that. The E-Katz mastering synth takes a long time to load.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:44 am

timothyallan wrote:
mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:

:lol: I reckon it's gotta be that. The E-Katz mastering synth takes a long time to load.
Guess its time to upgrade then... :!:

Newecho

Post by Newecho » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:56 am

Dj-Grobe wrote:Hello, wy ableotn 8 take 3 times more time for load set?
If i compare with ableton 7, take 3 or 4times more time to load same set!
Are you running Automap 3? Not sure if it's related but I was having slow start and set load times. I had some issues installing Auotmap Pro 3.1. I uninstalled automap and deleted some folders left behind in program files/novation/ relating to automap, reinstalled.

Now Live starts faster and my sets are loading faster.
http://www.markmoshermusic.com

Live 8 Suite;HP DV6; Novation Remote SL, Launchpad, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Moog Etherwave Theremin;Alchemy,Sylenth1,Absynth,ACE,Synplant,Harmles,Gladiator 2,Dimension Pro...

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:39 am

No, no Automap.

Im talking with other guys, and all they confirm te same about big delay to laod sets compared with Ableton 7

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:49 am

Has anybody tried installing 12000 presets into Live 7 to see if it can manage them faster than Live 8?
Or remove the library completely in the Live 8 install to see if that is the variable?
Also, did you take in account that the first time a version of Live loads its always slower because its installing rewire?

Like, first time I open 8.0.4 it takes 30 seconds. The second time it takes less than 9 seconds.
Live 7 will load in about 5 seconds.
As for loading big sets, keep in mind which folders are opened in the browser too. There can only be so many samples ready to be launched. Live generally loads faster here if my sample folders are closed.

Dalibor Loncar

Post by Dalibor Loncar » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:12 am

all conviction aside, the speed of the file browser is slow in 8. there should definitely be room for improvements related to lives file browser engine. btw vistas search function also is faster than the one from xp although there are many more files vista installs on your hd.

does anyone run live on a ssd drive? a ssd drive reduces the random acces times from milliseconds down to nanoseconds.long waiting periods should be no issue anymore, assuming you have the live library installed on an ssd drive too.

btw, regularly defrag your hd if you´re on windows. a raid 0 would definitely help in the first run, but it´s dangerous without additional 2 hds. so you need 4 hds, 2 for mirroring (raid 1), 2 for striping (raid 0) if you want to have your data redundant.

ssd will definitely be the solution in the future.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Not only does 8 take a while to start up, but after application window does appear, there is another gap where I have to wait for Live to connect to my FW interface. That seems new.

I gave up using the search function in the browser, it was OK if I wanted to go and make some coffee, and finding missing samples is REALLY slow, but that could just be my file organisation. I am on XP and have been using a free 3rd party search app called Everything, which is blazingly fast.

But in the end, in comparison to Live 7, I haven't registered much of a slow down for launching - I thought 7 was pretty slow anyway. :mrgreen:
Hoffman2k is on the right track with the presets bogging things down.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:43 pm

Update - it took 45 secs for my PC to launch Live 8 after making the above post.

I closed all folders in the browser, shut it down and relaunched - took 10 secs.

This has been mentioned in the past on the forum.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:11 pm

I definitely notice longer load and close times in Live 8 compared to Live 7, I'd say it's about twice as long to load the same set.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 pm

Interesting that closing the browser speeds things up, seeing that here too after just trying it now with 8.05b3