Recording Massive filter manipulation into a clip envelope?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kevin Rothi

Recording Massive filter manipulation into a clip envelope?

Post by Kevin Rothi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:33 pm

Hey everyone,

I've mapped the filter cutoff in Massive in Live and assigned it to the crossfader on the APC40. When I record a clip and move the crossfader the effect on the sound is heard, but the data isn't recorded into a clip envelope. It records when I do it as automation in arrangement view, but not in the clip envelope. This happens with other MIDI controllers also, not just the APC40. I can just record into an audio track, but I'd rather have the MIDI information to fine tune.

Wobble wobble wobble.

muthafunka

Re: Recording Massive filter manipulation into a clip envelope?

Post by muthafunka » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:05 am

Far as I remember Live only records cc info to clips under certain circumstances, usually if you use whatever cc is 'native' to that control ie if the software uses a default of cc66 for that parameter, change your controller to output cc66 and not by using the assign function to make the parameter learn the controller # you're sending. Haven't tried this in a whiile though so not sure how this behaves in L8. If you're doing it w/ an APC, the only way might to remap the crossfader's output using Bome's etc.
Disclaimer:please don't take me for someone who really knows what he's talking about, just kinda guess-timatiing.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:07 am

an age old problem.

can you map that filter cutoff to your mod wheel or pitch bend? Live can record those midi movements into a clip.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:44 pm

If you map the controller to a macro knob in Massive, you should be able to record. In my experience with Massive, Live only records macro knob movements.

Psnow

Post by Psnow » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:23 pm

i'm trying to record my clip envelope in my session view. can i not do this?

Kevin Rothi

Post by Kevin Rothi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:35 am

You're having the same problem I'm having? I just ended up recording it as audio. Please let me know if you find a solution.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:21 am

Again, map the filter in Massive to a macro knob in Massive. You can then record it into a clip in session view.

mazafaka

Post by mazafaka » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:00 am

I was having similar issues, although it was with a native Ableton device - something like manipulating a filter, and I was using the APC40 device knobs. I kept hitting the main record button and tried to record the filter changes with MIDI overdub on, but it wouldn't work. Never recorded the parameters. I even found the control listed under the drop down in the device chooser and tried to select it manually, but no matter what I did, it would not record the automation. I must have absolutely no idea how to deal with clip envelopes in session view. I think I'll go re-read the manul now.... :(

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:48 pm

You can't record automation into session view clips, except in special cases like the macro knobs on NI plugins. It's been a much discussed problem for several years now.

Kevin Rothi

Post by Kevin Rothi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:59 pm

ethios4 wrote:Again, map the filter in Massive to a macro knob in Massive. You can then record it into a clip in session view.
This isn't working for me. I'm mapping the macro knob to the cutoff, and then hitting the "configure" button on the plugin device in Live, and then mapping that to my APC40. Still no dice. What am I doing wrong?

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Don't map the APC knob in Live, just map it in Massive. As soon as you map a knob to a parameter in Live you lose the ability to record into session view for that knob/parameter. If you just map the APC knob to the macro knob in Massive, all Live is doing is recording the MIDI CC# info and relaying it to Massive, where the CC# is mapped to the macro knob.

Kevin Rothi

Post by Kevin Rothi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:23 pm

ethios4 wrote:Don't map the APC knob in Live, just map it in Massive. As soon as you map a knob to a parameter in Live you lose the ability to record into session view for that knob/parameter. If you just map the APC knob to the macro knob in Massive, all Live is doing is recording the MIDI CC# info and relaying it to Massive, where the CC# is mapped to the macro knob.
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH!! Got it, testing now.

Kevin Rothi

Post by Kevin Rothi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:29 pm

I can get it to work with other MIDI controllers, but not the crossfader on the APC40. Does anyone know why? I'd like to use that because it's really loose, but I guess I can just deal with the stiffer faders on my trigger finger.

Thanks dude, you rock.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:53 am

Glad it's working for you! Strange the APC crossfader doesn't work for this....is it pre-mapped or something?

Kevin Rothi

Post by Kevin Rothi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:11 am

ethios4 wrote:Glad it's working for you! Strange the APC crossfader doesn't work for this....is it pre-mapped or something?
It maps to things fine within Live, but it's like Massive can't even see it. It's definitely the APC, all the other MIDI controllers I have work fine. Does the APC40 use some kind of transmission protocol that's somehow different from MIDI? I thought the APC communicated with MIDI messages.