All times are UTC

Post subject: Best Macbook Pro to get for Ableton Live?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:46 am 

I'm planning on picking up a Macbook Pro soon, and I'm looking for some advice as far as which Macbook Pro to get. I will most likely be using Ableton 7 (though possibly Ableton 8) and will be using a variety of VSTs, namely:

reFX Nexus
reFX Vanguard
Cakewalk Dimension Pro

I will generally be using an Oxygen 49 Key Midi Controller, and will eventually be linking up with my bandmate via a midi clock for syncing the laptops.

My question is this: if I want to insure the smallest possible amount of latency, and want to make sure that I'm not hearing any clicks, pops, or gaps in playing when I open up new plugins or switch presets while loops are running, how powerful a machine am I going to need? I'm hoping to not have to get the absolute most expensive Macbook there is.

Thanks for the advice, in advance.

Post subject: Re: Best Macbook Pro to get for Ableton Live?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:10 am 

stupid question, but how do people deal with the lack of usb ports on a macbook? i hav a usb motu 828 mkII, a usb oxygen 8, a usb bcr 2000 as well as the usual usb keyboard and mouse setup. i purposely got a laptop with enough usb ports. for the audio/midi devices, can u use a usb port without causing any latency issues?

im looking into eventually getting a macbook, also want to know where u can buy previous generations of macbooks. want a macbook with an express card slot (not SD)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:10 pm 

robleighton22 wrote:
stupid question, but how do people deal with the lack of usb ports on a macbook? i hav a usb motu 828 mkII, a usb oxygen 8, a usb bcr 2000 as well as the usual usb keyboard and mouse setup. i purposely got a laptop with enough usb ports. for the audio/midi devices, can u use a usb port without causing any latency issues?

im looking into eventually getting a macbook, also want to know where u can buy previous generations of macbooks. want a macbook with an express card slot (not SD)

USB HUBs my friend!

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:26 pm 

Treemaculate wrote:
I'm planning on picking up a Macbook Pro soon, and I'm looking for some advice as far as which Macbook Pro to get. I will most likely be using Ableton 7 (though possibly Ableton 8) and will be using a variety of VSTs, namely:

reFX Nexus
reFX Vanguard
Cakewalk Dimension Pro

I will generally be using an Oxygen 49 Key Midi Controller, and will eventually be linking up with my bandmate via a midi clock for syncing the laptops.

My question is this: if I want to insure the smallest possible amount of latency, and want to make sure that I'm not hearing any clicks, pops, or gaps in playing when I open up new plugins or switch presets while loops are running, how powerful a machine am I going to need? I'm hoping to not have to get the absolute most expensive Macbook there is.

Thanks for the advice, in advance.

If i were you...i would buy the 2008 macbook pro.
has a 2.4 core2duo...2gb (expandable).....200gb hd....
still had the FW 400...and the fw 800....and the MATTE screen...
I still like that one better than the new one...

that's a fantastic computer...and almost as fast as the new one.

:P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:46 pm 

I think I would go for the new 2.53 Unibody 15" with the 7200 rpm 500GB drive and 4 GB of RAM.

The 2008 MBP is a good suggestion, but I like the new one... because it's new. The lack of extra ports is a drag, but I think I would just make it work. I would use the internal drive for everything. I would get a 2TB external desktop RAID to backup everything on the main drive, and have an extra 500GB to store more stuff. I would just connect it by USB 2.0 (remember, this is back-ups only).

Having the Expresscard option and another FirwWire port & bus would be great, but they're not availble. The 2008 model is too much like my old PowerBook. I want a new design. I would make the new one work for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:57 pm 

The best is the new 3Ghz Macbook Pro, 4gb ram, 500 gb hard drive.

I've been eyeing, I'm just not sure it's enough of a power jump from my 2.16ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hard drive mbp.

The extra 1ghz would be nice. I'm losing hope in seeing a quadcore macbook anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:39 pm 

Hidden Driveways wrote:
I think I would go for the new 2.53 Unibody 15" with the 7200 rpm 500GB drive and 4 GB of RAM.

The 2008 MBP is a good suggestion, but I like the new one... because it's new. The lack of extra ports is a drag, but I think I would just make it work. I would use the internal drive for everything. I would get a 2TB external desktop RAID to backup everything on the main drive, and have an extra 500GB to store more stuff. I would just connect it by USB 2.0 (remember, this is back-ups only).

Having the Expresscard option and another FirwWire port & bus would be great, but they're not availble. The 2008 model is too much like my old PowerBook. I want a new design. I would make the new one work for me.

The issue here is PRICE!!!
i would make a yacht into a recording studio if i could!! :P :P :P
But the guy was concerned with "not having to get the most expensive macbook pro"

That is why i suggested the 2008 MBP.
Cause he could get it much cheaper on ebay..and have a computer that is almost as powerful as the new MBP.

For me...the biggest problem with the new macbook pro...is the screen...i hate glossy...i see my face most everytime anybody puts the light on....not to mention i live in SUNNY FLORIDA!.
i believe you can't get an extra bus yet.tell me if i'm wrong.
And all other reasons are just personal and subjective....i just don't like the new design....dislike the new keyboard.

When the future NEW NEW NEW MBP...comes out....if i see a big bump in CPU power....new HD technology...then i will jump in the wagon. (I'll make sure to move to a less sunny place in order to use the glossy screen...jejeje).

Resuming....if you want good performance...for much less money...i would recommend the 2008 MBP..with a good interface...like motu ultralite/8pre....

If instead....he has a lot of money to invest....then...your way...would be a great way to go.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:17 am 

I use an old Macbook Pro (3 years old), with the 2Gb maximum Ram, and it's still a beast, I use it with a RME Multiface, a lot of real instruments and I can do everything I want with no problem at all. The center of my setup is, obviously...Ableton Live 7. :mrgreen: