Buying software from a dev you can't stand?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
condra

Re: Buying software from a dev you can't stand?

Post by condra » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:06 pm

You're considering not buying the product, but not bitching about the dev. Personally, I would probably do the opposite.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:25 pm

condra wrote:You're considering not buying the product, but not bitching about the dev. Personally, I would probably do the opposite.
:lol: You mean you would buy the product and then bitch about the dev? :P
Professional Shark Jumper.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:41 pm

I´d buy it, I wouldnt care. Tone 2 has some nice stuff. I heard the customer service has bad reputation, but I bought some products anyway. If it was hardware, it´d be different. But since I know the plug works fine in my host, I don´t have a problem buying it. Its not like I´m making a contract with the devil.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

condra

Post by condra » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:03 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote: :lol: You mean you would buy the product and then bitch about the dev? :P
Yeah. I mean, if you have genuine reason to be miffed, then why not let people know about your experience and opinion?

I think Apple are utter scum, and I bitch about them all the time, but I still buy some of their produts.

Anyway, that's just me. I think my point is, don't deny yourself a good product for the sake of spiting someone else.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:09 am

Also, don't deny yourself the opportunity to bitch about something on the internet for the entertainment of yourself and the rest of us. :lol:

But seriously, making your concerns about a company's behavior public could be a good way to make them check themselves. If said dev starts seeing stories of their antics thrown on the audio boards and people start boycotting, then maybe they will change their ways.

Then again, bad publicity is still publicity.
Unsound Designer

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:03 am

They are what they are, unless they're physically crawling down your interweb pipes and bugging you, how you choose to respond to that is up to you. If you like the software and think it'll help your music then get over it and get into it. Maybe by forming some kind of relationship with the dev by buying the plug you can have some positive influence or get a better understanding of where they're coming from. Or you could just buy it and say 'meh, whatever', it's up to you.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:24 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:What do you guys think of buying a piece of software from a developer that just rubs you the wrong way? I can't make up my mind. There is a synth plug-in that I really enjoy using, but I find the developer to be a complete condescending asshole who is also not at all receptive to constructive criticism.

On one hand it doesn't matter, we should just use what we enjoy. On the other hand, there is often a community around the developer and I hate the idea of supporting someone who just makes me want to puke.

What are your experiences with asswipe devs? Does it affect your buying decisions at all?

cheers!
You know,this brings to mind a quote that I can't quite get right from memory but it goes something like this.

"It's a good thing we can't read each other's minds. If we could, we would most likely hate everyone we came in contact with."

Point is, if we were to be as over exposed to every developer of every product that we use, the same way that we are via the Internet, we would most likely be spending al our free time uniquely banging rocks or dirt clods together.

I don't care what type of enthusiast you are, you would most likely dislike every developer for one reason or another beyond their controlled surface level exterior.

Not using a piece of software because you don't personally find favor with the developer is just like choosing not to buy a certain car because of it's primary designer.

What's the point within all this verbose meandering? You shouldn't really know the designer or developer on the level you do, or THINK you do, in the first place. That's the curse of the Internet. Disregard the creator and realize the creation. That's the only thing that should bare out any logical meaning to you.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:26 am

I won't buy gear from someone that rubs me he wrong way, be it a developer, a local music store, and online chain, whatever. There's way too many choices out there when it comes to making music to stick with someone who can't treat people decently. In fact the majority of the gear I DO use is from companies that are active in their product communities, people who are easy to get ahold of and respond promptly and nicely to any issues.

Ableton
Spectrasonics
AudioFile Engineering

and of course u-He.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:02 am

Tarekith wrote:I won't buy gear from someone that rubs me he wrong way, be it a developer, a local music store, and online chain, whatever. There's way too many choices out there when it comes to making music to stick with someone who can't treat people decently. In fact the majority of the gear I DO use is from companies that are active in their product communities, people who are easy to get ahold of and respond promptly and nicely to any issues.

Ableton
Spectrasonics
AudioFile Engineering

and of course u-He.
Forgive me, but that's not the same. Your examples are based on a "retail like" experience wherein someone would have to be a dick who has no business being in retail to begin with. Not everyone that is a developer is going to be like Eric Persing (one of the nicest guys on the planet). I would be willing to bet serious coin that MANY of the "backroom" key developers in these companies, that are fronted and even owned by super cool people, are not "people persons". When some little schmo that is working 40-50 hours a week in a hot dog stand somewhere in the city comes home and stays up to midnight 5 or 6 nights a week writing code and refining his self promoted soft gizmos, possibly he may not the best "sales" person on the planet to begin with.

To state that there will be "more fish in the sea" with respect to that same person's unique efforts is a bit unrealistic. Especially when we are referring to synths. Similar, yes. The same, nope.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:10 am

The only actual jerks I can think of are ReFx and any devs that force dongles to upgrade software (Korg!).
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:27 am

I've been kind of holding off buying waves update plan even though I'd get some cool things like a convolution reverb for reasons like this, mainly the thing they do where they go suing people

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:09 am

DrXparaMental wrote:
Tarekith wrote:I won't buy gear from someone that rubs me he wrong way, be it a developer, a local music store, and online chain, whatever. There's way too many choices out there when it comes to making music to stick with someone who can't treat people decently. In fact the majority of the gear I DO use is from companies that are active in their product communities, people who are easy to get ahold of and respond promptly and nicely to any issues.

Ableton
Spectrasonics
AudioFile Engineering

and of course u-He.
Forgive me, but that's not the same. Your examples are based on a "retail like" experience wherein someone would have to be a dick who has no business being in retail to begin with. Not everyone that is a developer is going to be like Eric Persing (one of the nicest guys on the planet). I would be willing to bet serious coin that MANY of the "backroom" key developers in these companies, that are fronted and even owned by super cool people, are not "people persons". When some little schmo that is working 40-50 hours a week in a hot dog stand somewhere in the city comes home and stays up to midnight 5 or 6 nights a week writing code and refining his self promoted soft gizmos, possibly he may not the best "sales" person on the planet to begin with.

To state that there will be "more fish in the sea" with respect to that same person's unique efforts is a bit unrealistic. Especially when we are referring to synths. Similar, yes. The same, nope.
Even if someone is making something completely unique as a small time developer, if they're an ass, I'm not buying it.