Ever experience radical changes in musical tastes/genres?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
aisling

Re: Ever experience radical changes in musical tastes/genres?

Post by aisling » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:47 pm

ethios4 wrote:
aisling wrote:The bird song, I know you rider, dark star, cosmic charlie, china cat, morning dew, and scarlet begonias....have been really doing it for me as of late.......
The Morning Dew from that 5/22/77 show is...well, impossible to put into words! I heard a version from Jazz is Dead recently, and I think Jimmy Herring is a great guitarist, but he was playing that song like it was a party tune, and when Jerry played it 5/22/77, he was channeling all of the tragedy, pain and beauty of humanity. That's the difference right there.
I just took a listen to some of your my space tracks........Fantastic! 8) Is this all done in live? What are you monitoring with? Best wishes for continued creativity and inspiration!
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

steved

Post by steved » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:31 pm

About a year ago I got into classical - BIG TIME ! I too have eclectic tastes which have evolved ( cycled ) through progressive, punk, soul, jazz, pop, indi, dance, electronica, experimental ... and even though I still dip into these - the shift to classical was quite radical.

I've tried to figure out why I changed - and this is what I came up with . . .

* I'm getting on a bit - 50 this year - jaded , cynical, bored with instant gratification, and increasing choice

* I was looking for something challenging - something that had taken a long time to craft - to hone - something that improved with repeated listening - something linear that took you on a journey ... while being multi layered at the same time.

* I found a radio station broadcasting classical at 320 KBs - check out Radio Bartok from Budapest. I use audio hijack to capture the stream - some cracking programmes - better even than radio 3.

* Actually - I'm turning against computer stuff generally - things that I've worked with - Photoshop, 3D CAD software etc - I really can't be arsed with now. Give me an acoustic piano, life drawing classes, a stone wall to renovate, a wooden kayak to build - something tangible.

http://real1.radio.hu/bartok/

320 KBs stream -

http://classicalwebcast.com/bartokra.htm

By the way - I've stopped using Ableton now, stopped creating electronic music completely ... might come back to it one day. Still drop by the forum though.
Last edited by steved on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nocturn early adopter ....

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:37 pm

aisling wrote:I just took a listen to some of your my space tracks........Fantastic! 8) Is this all done in live? What are you monitoring with? Best wishes for continued creativity and inspiration!
Hey thanks!! I'm using Alesis M1 Active monitors...all done in Live, mostly v6 & 7. My friend has a nice big PA so I got to spend a day checking mixes on a soundsystem, which was nice.

Since you're digging on the Dead, here's a remix I did a few years ago of Little Nemo in Nightland, off Infrared Roses.

http://www.ioav.com/ethios4/Little%20Ne ... %20rmx.mp3

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:05 pm

ethios4 wrote:
aisling wrote:I just took a listen to some of your my space tracks........Fantastic! 8) Is this all done in live? What are you monitoring with? Best wishes for continued creativity and inspiration!
Hey thanks!! I'm using Alesis M1 Active monitors...all done in Live, mostly v6 & 7. My friend has a nice big PA so I got to spend a day checking mixes on a soundsystem, which was nice.

Since you're digging on the Dead, here's a remix I did a few years ago of Little Nemo in Nightland, off Infrared Roses.

http://www.ioav.com/ethios4/Little%20Ne ... %20rmx.mp3
Cool remix.

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:14 pm

nice track ethios!! what's the Dead connection? I didn't hear it, regardless it made me turn up the volume. ;)

I get into Grateful Dead phases from time to time. the Europe '72 album and earlier. the latter stuff is too noodly. the bluegrass influenced stuff isn't my thing either. glad I caught them once while they were around, there's no scene quite like it.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:38 pm

aisling wrote:
ethios4 wrote:
aisling wrote:The bird song, I know you rider, dark star, cosmic charlie, china cat, morning dew, and scarlet begonias....have been really doing it for me as of late.......
The Morning Dew from that 5/22/77 show is...well, impossible to put into words! I heard a version from Jazz is Dead recently, and I think Jimmy Herring is a great guitarist, but he was playing that song like it was a party tune, and when Jerry played it 5/22/77, he was channeling all of the tragedy, pain and beauty of humanity. That's the difference right there.
I just took a listen to some of your my space tracks........Fantastic! 8) Is this all done in live? What are you monitoring with? Best wishes for continued creativity and inspiration!
Yeah, the ethios4 shit is tight.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Tone Deft wrote:nice track ethios!! what's the Dead connection? I didn't hear it, regardless it made me turn up the volume. ;)
Everything but the drums is sampled from "Little Nemo in Nightland". The section with the talking is taken from the movie Festival Express....Jerry going on about the scene, musicians and money, with Bobby chiming in too.

Thanks for the listens! :D

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:57 pm

ethios4 wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:nice track ethios!! what's the Dead connection? I didn't hear it, regardless it made me turn up the volume. ;)
Everything but the drums is sampled from "Little Nemo in Nightland". The section with the talking is taken from the movie Festival Express....Jerry going on about the scene, musicians and money, with Bobby chiming in too.

Thanks for the listens! :D
I see you have a gig with hallucinogen/shpongle :D 8)
astral projection and hallucinogen forever changed my perception of electronic music back in the late 90's......
Simon is the jerry garcia of synthesis.