Ever experience radical changes in musical tastes/genres?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aisling

Ever experience radical changes in musical tastes/genres?

Post by aisling » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:14 pm

I know music is all about inspiration, and there is so much great music in many different forms and styles to appreciate.
For the past 12-15 years, I have been heavily invested in electronica, groove, acid jazz, and dance music. Prior to that it was alternative and grunge...metal
:oops: All of a sudden out of nowhere I had a nostalgic desire to listen to some grateful dead....
I can't get enough of it. Every time I open I tunes to listen to tunes, I choose the dead.....

Has anybody else ever done such a 180 in musical tastes?
What I am digging about the dead, is that it is a collective of human beings (not perfect musicians) grooving together. No same song is ever player the same.... I really miss that "human" connection. It has been 10 years since I had "bands," choosing to self produce instead.

But geez the grateful dead...... :oops:
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Re: Ever experience radical changes in musical tastes/genres?

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:34 pm

For some real fun I like to set itunes to shuffle and have it pull songs from my entire library. It's hours and hours of "oh yeah!" moments and the range of genres is insane.

It also helps to get out of a genre listening rut. There's too many sub genres in the world that makes you believe you are listening to a vast assortment of styles when you really aren't when you break it down to less micro details.

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:57 pm

beats me wrote:For some real fun I like to set itunes to shuffle and have it pull songs from my entire library. It's hours and hours of "oh yeah!" moments and the range of genres is insane.

It also helps to get out of a genre listening rut. There's too many sub genres in the world that makes you believe you are listening to a vast assortment of styles when you really aren't when you break it down to less micro details.
Yeah, thats how I stumbled on the dead, from shuffling........

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Another bonus to shuffling is I sometimes buy full albums even if I don't know/like every single track just because I feel I'm supporting the artist in some way. I often don't get a chance to give the full album a listen or am somewhat skeptical about it. But hearing some obscure track randomly wedged in between 2 other random tracks sometimes makes me like it a lot more because I'm not forcing myself to listen to it, it just catches my ear.

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:19 pm

beats me wrote:Another bonus to shuffling is I sometimes buy full albums even if I don't know/like every single track just because I feel I'm supporting the artist in some way. I often don't get a chance to give the full album a listen or am somewhat skeptical about it. But hearing some obscure track randomly wedged in between 2 other random tracks sometimes makes me like it a lot more because I'm not forcing myself to listen to it, it just catches my ear.
I agree, I have discovered some of my favorite tracks by accident. Dd you buy full albums from I tunes? If so do you have audiophile hang ups about the mp3 quality, or do you go the FLAC route?

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:26 pm

About every 5 minutes thanks to shuffle on itunes.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:32 pm

The last time I completely switched my musical taste came when I was introduced to House music via Sasha's San Francisco Global Underground album. I had just came home from an Outkast concert, which was amazing to say the least. I met up with a friend and we took a drive just to drive around. My buddy had this CD playing and I dunno, I came out of that ride completely changed. Although I loved Outkast (still do), I really knew that things would be different going forward. This new music (House) was full of possibilities. I didn't need words, the songs talked without them. There was a magic in the music me not knowing when a new song started or ended. The CD was a proper journey that lasted over an hour and I just found myself wanting these journeys of sound rather than a short 3-5 minute song. I was intro'd to Digweed the day after and seriously, most of my hip hop CDs have just collected dust after.

Besides that,

I I love the shuffle feature in itunes also.

I always find a ton of music I have completely forgotten about that way. Sometimes I go on these frantic Beaport shopping sprees and end up with so much music, I forget about half of it in no time.
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

condra

Post by condra » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:42 pm

Every couple of months.

most recently:
-
Electro/house/nu-rave
(Jan-March 2009)

nu-disco/acid jazz/deep house
(April/May 2009)

Wonky/Dubstep/hip-hop/IDM
(June/July 2009)

I'm fickle
:oops:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:14 pm

aisling wrote:
beats me wrote:Another bonus to shuffling is I sometimes buy full albums even if I don't know/like every single track just because I feel I'm supporting the artist in some way. I often don't get a chance to give the full album a listen or am somewhat skeptical about it. But hearing some obscure track randomly wedged in between 2 other random tracks sometimes makes me like it a lot more because I'm not forcing myself to listen to it, it just catches my ear.
I agree, I have discovered some of my favorite tracks by accident. Dd you buy full albums from I tunes? If so do you have audiophile hang ups about the mp3 quality, or do you go the FLAC route?
Heh, I just started a thread asking about people's level of video quality expectations.

For me I've bought songs from itunes from the start and while my ears can tell the difference in quality sometimes, I mostly don't give a shit or been in a situation where it makes a huge difference. And I think most of the masses feel the same way. This place is a vacuum.

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:53 pm

weeddigger wrote:The last time I completely switched my musical taste came when I was introduced to House music via Sasha's San Francisco Global Underground album. I had just came home from an Outkast concert, which was amazing to say the least. I met up with a friend and we took a drive just to drive around. My buddy had this CD playing and I dunno, I came out of that ride completely changed. Although I loved Outkast (still do), I really knew that things would be different going forward. This new music (House) was full of possibilities. I didn't need words, the songs talked without them. There was a magic in the music me not knowing when a new song started or ended. The CD was a proper journey that lasted over an hour and I just found myself wanting these journeys of sound rather than a short 3-5 minute song. I was intro'd to Digweed the day after and seriously, most of my hip hop CDs have just collected dust after.

Besides that,

I always find a ton of music I have completely forgotten about that way. Sometimes I go on these frantic Beaport shopping sprees and end up with so much music, I forget about half of it in no time.
It has been almost 10 years but Northern Exposure was fan fucking tastic. One of the big albums in my electronica journey!

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:35 pm

MÚM was a complete and pleasantly surprising change for me. They are now in my top echelon of musical favorites. I find them encouraging in that electronics and programming can still be original and not require x and binkies for it to be enjoyable.

ghast

Post by ghast » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 pm

I've flip flopped twice. I always liked electronic as a kid. Devo and Tangerine Dream and Front 242. My sophomore year in high school i became heavily involved with hard core and death metal. Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Gwar, Sepultura. The early 90's rolled around and someone dragged me to a warehouse party dropping breakbeats. That was it for me. I only listen to electronic ever since.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:36 pm

aisling wrote:
weeddigger wrote:The last time I completely switched my musical taste came when I was introduced to House music via Sasha's San Francisco Global Underground album. I had just came home from an Outkast concert, which was amazing to say the least. I met up with a friend and we took a drive just to drive around. My buddy had this CD playing and I dunno, I came out of that ride completely changed. Although I loved Outkast (still do), I really knew that things would be different going forward. This new music (House) was full of possibilities. I didn't need words, the songs talked without them. There was a magic in the music me not knowing when a new song started or ended. The CD was a proper journey that lasted over an hour and I just found myself wanting these journeys of sound rather than a short 3-5 minute song. I was intro'd to Digweed the day after and seriously, most of my hip hop CDs have just collected dust after.

Besides that,

It has been almost 10 years but Northern Exposure was fan fucking tastic. One of the big albums in my electronica journey!

I've had some magical journeys listening to East Coast Edition and Expeditions...

And not to be a dick, but yeah, Digweed @ The Vagabond. Thursday.

Oh yeah...
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:48 pm

yes, and I can tell you why it happened, but only generally.

I was at a previous job, and for a semi-work related reason I was looking at a selection of music videos returned by a search engine. A Chemical Brothers video was among the results that came back, so I started to watch it.

The tune was very nice, and the video had the kind of surreal landscape being viewed from the window of a train. The train was going past the same things over and over again, bridges, trees, through tunnels and it was just fantastic to me.

Prior to that, I was more into rock, especially the more intricate oddball stuff. But when I saw and heard that, I wanted to do it, even though I had spent years off and on playing guitar and singing in rock bands.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:59 am

mikemc wrote:yes, and I can tell you why it happened, but only generally.

I was at a previous job, and for a semi-work related reason I was looking at a selection of music videos returned by a search engine. A Chemical Brothers video was among the results that came back, so I started to watch it.

The tune was very nice, and the video had the kind of surreal landscape being viewed from the window of a train. The train was going past the same things over and over again, bridges, trees, through tunnels and it was just fantastic to me.

Prior to that, I was more into rock, especially the more intricate oddball stuff. But when I saw and heard that, I wanted to do it, even though I had spent years off and on playing guitar and singing in rock bands.
"Exit planet dust" WAS the album that broke me from alternative and grunge........
I can still remember being in tower records in Philly (in 95) looking around. I heard this "new" music being played and It was like I experienced darshan, or "enlightenment". I played that album to death. Thankfully the first crystal method and propellerheads albums were not to far in the horizon....

The irony was that I had been casually listening to industrial.....Ministry, scorn, pitch shifter, prong, etc.....
for a few years, but that first chemical bros had such sweet groove like I never heard before.