AKAI APC 40 or ALESIS Master Control?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alsamarkan

AKAI APC 40 or ALESIS Master Control?

Post by Alsamarkan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi folks,

i am no live dj and have to make a hard decision. Which one would fit my needs better?

http://www.alesis.com/mastercontrol
or
http://www.apc40.com

i see myself as a producer. I do a lot of recordings and would like to know if live tracking and mixing with the APC 40 would be as comfortable as it seems with the Master Control? Does the APC 40 make sense for producing only? :?:

leedsquietman

Re: AKAI APC 40 or ALESIS Master Control?

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:53 pm

The APC40 is better for live scenarios, or if you like to jam with session view with all the clip launching scenarios, as well as faders and mutes/solos/programmable twisty knobs etc.

The Alesis is a nice looking general controller though, a bit like a cut down Mackie Control Universal.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:56 pm

IMO the APC is more suited for studio use than live performance use. the stock APC doesn't let you tweak the EQ on two tracks at the same time, for example. that's something a DJ would need but not necessarily a bedroom producer.

the Alesis is a few hundred dollars more expensive and the APC is custom tailored for Live use. plus users are and will make widgets to turn the APC into all kinds of other devices. it can already be somewhat of a monome clone.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:09 pm

thx guys, my main problem is - i start to believe i need both :roll:
I7 920/6 GB RAM/WIN7/RME 9632/UAD-1/Trigger Finger/APC40/MPK25/Nanokey/Shuttle Pro V2/Live 8 Suite/BFD2 (XFL,8BitKit) Kitcore/Trilian/Omnisphere/FM8/GuitarRig 4/RealGuitar 2/Reflections LE/Waves Vocal Rider/Fabfilter Bundle/SPL Analog Code Bundle 1

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:11 pm

both would be totally redundant.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:17 pm

that`s true! :lol:
I7 920/6 GB RAM/WIN7/RME 9632/UAD-1/Trigger Finger/APC40/MPK25/Nanokey/Shuttle Pro V2/Live 8 Suite/BFD2 (XFL,8BitKit) Kitcore/Trilian/Omnisphere/FM8/GuitarRig 4/RealGuitar 2/Reflections LE/Waves Vocal Rider/Fabfilter Bundle/SPL Analog Code Bundle 1

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:24 pm

if you consider yourself more going into production rather than djing live, then given your choices it would be the master control.. especially if you need a sound card which the master control is also.. but they are totally different types of equipment.. but while the apc is for mainly designed for stage or live use, I also use it during production as a sketch book of possibilities for the arrangement. I wouldn't go as far as saying that both are redundant as I have a similar setup using a MCU and the apc40 and each has it's own strenghts. I find that once I am beyond the session view and have pretty much have gotten the arrangement done, i don't touch the apc's grid anymore except for it's macro/device controls. Once you have the arrangement done, i think that's where the master control would really be put to use, especially during mixdowns (automated faders). but that's how i work and everyone is different. But it's not essential to get both. you might also want to check out the m-audio project mix as it seems it's close to the master control as far as specs..

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:36 pm

nuxnamon wrote:I wouldn't go as far as saying that both are redundant as I have a similar setup using a MCU and the apc40 and each has it's own strenghts. I find that once I am beyond the session view and have pretty much have gotten the arrangement done, i don't touch the apc's grid anymore except for it's macro/device controls. Once you have the arrangement done, i think that's where the master control would really be put to use, especially during mixdowns (automated faders).
that`s a good point. i think they could complement each other. apc for session constructions and arrangement recording. master control for fine tuning and mixing. and i gam sure they will look great side by side. :wink:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:45 pm

lol

@Alsamarkan I see whats starting to happen in your brain... counting pennies thinking about Raman noodles... how many weeks til next paycheck... you know you're starting to talk yourself in to both in a convincing way... don't deny it. GEAR LUST has gotcha!

At least start with the one you need most...

That Alesis is pretty sweet.

Have fun.
Last edited by H20nly on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:47 pm

I'd much rather have an APC-40. Get an Apogee Duet with the extra money. Then you have a controller built for Live that communicates with Live, and a soundcard that is known for having great sound, as opposed to a soundcard known for being low budget.

I've done many mixes in my life, and I've never had motorized faders. I'm not sure how useful they are, outside of cool-factor. Most of them make noise. Noise is bad.

Gear lust is blind.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:59 pm

APC FTW!

Seriously, having the thing work and coax you toward producing without having to map anything..priceless...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote: Get an Apogee Duet with the extra money. Then you have a controller built for Live that communicates with Live, and a soundcard that is known for having great sound, as opposed to a soundcard known for being low budget.
the apogee is mac only. my rme hdsp 9632 is good, but the reviews of the master control say the sound of the alesis controller is very good. gear lust :twisted: - shitboombang. pls help ... apc 40 first! :lol:

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:12 pm

thy guys, i made a decision - gear lust is over! :oops: i will buy a korg nano kontrol. 8O just kidding ... APC 40 first!

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Alsamarkan wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote: Get an Apogee Duet with the extra money. Then you have a controller built for Live that communicates with Live, and a soundcard that is known for having great sound, as opposed to a soundcard known for being low budget.
the apogee is mac only. my rme hdsp 9632 is good, but the reviews of the master control say the sound of the alesis controller is very good. gear lust :twisted: - shitboombang. pls help ... apc 40 first! :lol:
Did the person who wrote the review fully understand the wonderful world of RME's tight clock? The Alesis seems like it might be a step backward sonically for you, but I duno't know. I've never heard it.

I think it's pretty much a rule that everyone on the planet could use a nanoKontrol.

lauschepper

Post by lauschepper » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:16 am

i plan to clean up my project studio desk so i am thinking of buying the alesis mastercontrol because it seems to fit all my needs within ableton live.

i dont consider it because i want to "upgrade" my amps, converters etc.
it should basically give me a little bit more flexibility and space. it will be used for mixdowns, maybe recording and some odd dj session. it should replace the following stuff...

- m-audio uc-33 e (as my daw midi controller)
- yamaha mg 124c mixer (which i barely use)
- behringer BEHRINGER ADA8000 PRO-8 DIGITAL (ad/da conversion)
(-> i can still feed the mastercontrol adat-in via a motu 828 usb)
- mixvibes U46MK2 dj soundcard

it seems to me that the mastercontrol can replace all features of this gear, or did i miss anything important?

one thin that worries me, is if it can be used "stand alone"? found no mention of it anywhere.
hope that anyone can give me some feedback, thanks in advance.