Academic version question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonisonvespa

Academic version question

Post by jonisonvespa » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:24 am

looking to buy al suite 8, is the academic version the same as the normal version??
----ibiza----

juncmodule

Re: Academic version question

Post by juncmodule » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:42 am

Functionally, yes. You get the same stuff and it does the same stuff.

One warning however. There is no upgrade path for the Academic version.

I purchased the Live 7 Suite for $800 and the Academic version is about $400 if I'm not mistaken. If I had purchased the academic version upgrading would require me to purchase another full academic version, costing me another $400. However, since I purchased the full version the most expensive upgrade path is $259. So, eventually I will come out of top through upgrades. Not to mention, after your affiliation with your academic institution ends, legally you are obligated to give up any academic software you own.

good luck,
-junc

Bokonon

Post by Bokonon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:46 am

juncmodule wrote:Functionally, yes. You get the same stuff and it does the same stuff.

Not sure if that is accurate - I bought the academic version of 6, upgraded to 7 and then upgraded to 8, I've not yet paid the full price I paid for 6 over again, and my 7->8 upgrade was discounted.

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:45 pm

juncmodule wrote:Functionally, yes. You get the same stuff and it does the same stuff.

I purchased the Live 7 Suite for $800 and the Academic version is about $400 if I'm not mistaken. If I had purchased the academic version upgrading would require me to purchase another full academic version, costing me another $400. However, since I purchased the full version the most expensive upgrade path is $259. So, eventually I will come out of top through upgrades. Not to mention, after your affiliation with your academic institution ends, legally you are obligated to give up any academic software you own.

good luck,
-junc
This is patently false - you can buy the standard discounted upgrades with an educational license.

juncmodule

Post by juncmodule » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:37 pm

Just to clarify, it seems that my information regarding upgrade costs were incorrect.

Academic versions are functionally the same.

Once you end your affiliation with your academic institution the license is no longer valid. Does this remain true if you upgrade? Or does the new license become invalid after you leave an academic institution?

later,
-junc

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:25 pm

juncmodule wrote:Just to clarify, it seems that my information regarding upgrade costs were incorrect.

Academic versions are functionally the same.

Once you end your affiliation with your academic institution the license is no longer valid. Does this remain true if you upgrade? Or does the new license become invalid after you leave an academic institution?

later,
-junc
Where are you getting this crap, man?
Your license is valid forever after you buy it. Obviously you don't get any more educational discounts anymore when you're no longer a student/teacher, but the stuff you already have doesn't change at all.

juncmodule

Post by juncmodule » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:43 pm

anamexis wrote: Where are you getting this crap, man?
No need to be rude.
anamexis wrote: Your license is valid forever after you buy it. Obviously you don't get any more educational discounts anymore when you're no longer a student/teacher, but the stuff you already have doesn't change at all.
Is this the way the Ableton academic license works? It is up to the software vendor how the terms of the license are set up. MicroSoft products bought through my university used to work the way I have outlined here. I simply assumed that this applied to most academic products. Perhaps it is a bad deal that my university had with MicroSoft or perhaps MicroSoft just has more evil academic licenses.

later,
-junc

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:04 pm

juncmodule wrote: No need to be rude.

Is this the way the Ableton academic license works? It is up to the software vendor how the terms of the license are set up. MicroSoft products bought through my university used to work the way I have outlined here. I simply assumed that this applied to most academic products. Perhaps it is a bad deal that my university had with MicroSoft or perhaps MicroSoft just has more evil academic licenses.

later,
-junc
Didn't mean to be rude, but don't just go around giving out false info if you don't know what you're talking about.

To summarize, after you purchase an educational license, it works exactly like a standard license with the sole exception that it can only be resold to people who also qualify. Otherwise it is exactly the same.